Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreams Do Come True! Newbie Self Introduction!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:18 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, you must be ecstatic, or is that an understatement? Judging from your post, I would definitely say so and well, that is a good thing hah... Huge congrats on your new GT3, absolutely beautiful example of one, rennlist history (Matt's a baby with his car's anyway ) still under CPO, what more can you ask for..

Enjoy it in the best of health, drive the hell out of it! Do some auto-x in that car, it will teach you a ton of dynamics and car control with the rear engined setup...

Martin

Last edited by iLLM3; 07-23-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:05 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

That's awesome! I am about 1/2 of your age, so I hope that when I am 65, I will still be doing this! Thank you for the welcome!

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Hell, I'm 65, so your 69-year old dad should get his own GT3!!!!
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

It wasn't like I was a super fast rider, but definitely have enough seat time on the bike (back then) to go around the track okay. (It was fun riding around newbies w/ their shiny new liter bikes in the corners.. !)

Blipping the throttle w/ hand seems to be easier than, ah, hmm, heel 'n toe.. I will need to learn that.. !

Originally Posted by 4porsh
I have found that people who come from a motorcycle/track background do well at the track. They tend to build up their speed and hit the marks right on do to learning on a motorcycle you do not get a second chance. Just need to remember the weight transfer is slower in the car then the motorcycle so really feel the car.
Both auto-X and track are great disciplines to learn the car, just take time to build up speed.

Have fun,

Joe
Old 07-23-2009, 02:21 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cfjan, if I was you i would track the car this summer/fall. You know how to drive. I may have glossed over your background with a manual but you said you drove it home so.....
Pick a track day a month down the calendar and go for it. Have an instructor show you what it can do and what to be careful of. Think of it as a hands on insurance policy that will paste a smile on your face.
You will drive the green group (beginner) no matter what car you drive. That's good. You can get out on the track and learn from someone who DOES know how to drive (and maybe push) that car a bit.
I loved the part about your Dad asking if the exhaust is broken!!
Any questions on how to get involved in a track day feel free to PM me. I have about a hunndred and instruct for four clubs so I should be able to steer you in the right direction.
It's a lot of car. At least hook up with an experienced GT3 person for a short drive I would suggest.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Great thread. Bravo. Enjoy your recent acquisition.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 PM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello again.

What do you do with the car now you have it?

Find some guys to advise you and take it on a track.

Within 2 weeks of getting my RS I took it to the Nurburgring - with 30 other guys who had been there before.

I drove like a pensioner - I am one!

Sensible speeds and a few trips out with other people over the coming months will sort you out.

Since I got the GT3RS in August 007 its been a revelation.

Track days and trips have included:

Silverstone
Anglesey twice
Cadwell park
Oulton Park
Donington Park several times
The Nurburgring several times
Monza Italy
Hungary Hungaroring this summer (the F1 is from there this weekend)

If you think this car is awesome on the road - wait til you get it on a race track.

You dont have to drive too fast at first and you do need to go out with an instructor to understand the car, circuit and how to handle them.

Have fun.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:15 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congratulations! Clearly, you picked the best color...

Definitely get it on the track. Beware though - that is a slippery slope!

-Blake
Old 07-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Ant118
8th Gear

congrates I just picked up a 2004 White GT3 as well. Everyone has said it. Hook up with a instructor who has seat time in a GT3 and learn from him. These are confidence building cars but can bite back hard in the hands of an unexperienced driver. So go have fun, and enjoy that beauty.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Hi cfjan,

Congratulations! I've started to look for a GT3 myself and hoping to realize my purchase sometime next year. Your reasons for wanting and buying a GT3 echo my thoughts exactly!

If you are interested in tracking your GT3, I would definitely advise you to join PCA and get involved with your local PCA chapter for Driver Education (DE) days and autocross days.

I did this when I had a track prepped 928 and I climbed up to solo driver status. Had a blast! Level of instruction was first rate and I'm jonesing for track days as I write this.

I know autocross is supposed to make you a better car driver on the track, but I found it too tedious and there was too much waiting around for a minute or less of driving per session.

Since you were club racing already on two wheels, I believe your skills are a lot better than most when it will come to learning how to drive fast in your GT3. Your background and demeanor seem to suggest you will listen to your instructors and not simply believe you can bend time, space and snub the laws of physics because your now driving a Porsche.

Keep your posts coming since I will live vicariously through you for the moment!

Cheers,

Last edited by Black Sea RD; 07-26-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:03 AM
ron_dargenio
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Does this mean I have to track it now?!? The deal comes w/ Traqmate and Chasecam!

Great.. now I have to tell the wife that I am gonna spend more money?!?!
Welcome aboard!!!!! Tricks of trade:
1. Take your paycheck to a check-cashing place in seedy neighborhood. Use cash to make money orders. Send these to GMG, TRG, Sharkwerks, etc. (My apologies to any sponsors I left out). Have packages sent to work address.

2. When buying slicks, slash old tires and tell wife you were victimized. Take photos.

3. Any mods are for safety esp rollbars, harnesses. Reprint Rennlist threads as proof.

4. Have employer reduce your salary (very believable in current economic environment) and issue you company credit card as a perk.

5. Get a zillion DE days in and become instructor as fast as possible. By the time she complains loudly, you get free track time.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:06 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the feedback!!

iLLM3: Yes, very excited!! (that's an understatement!) Hope to check out your RUF GT2 one of these days! (NY isn't that far!)

CT03911: Thanks for offering the tips. I will PM you off-line for sure! I am sure we will run into each other one of these days as you are in CT! For sure my plan include track days, but I just don't know if I am "ready" yet hence asking you guys. Yes, I can drive a stick okay (i.e., not stalling, etc.) but that doesn't mean I am doing it right, I guess that's my concern. For example, before you go attend one of them high performance motorcycle riding school, they typically ask you to have a good 6-12 months of street riding experience. That kind of thing... so that's my only concerns.

Michael B: Thanks!! I appreciate the welcome!

StevoUK: That's awesome what you did! I also love the RS. Too bad that they were never available in US (the 996). I would love the RS wing for sure!!

Blake: You know Carrara White is the fastest!

Ant118: Nice! Another new GT3 owner! Looking forward to share experience there!

Constantine: Thanks! I look forward to your own GT3 adventure! Like I said, it was not like I was a pro on the bike, but certainly fast enough to be in the mid to fast group. Comfortable enough to brake hard w/ the rear lifting slightly and gas hard enough to have the front floating on the pavement. It was a gas! I miss my bike! It was stolen a few years ago and then life changed. (Mortgages, marriage, etc.) So I never get to replace it! I will have another one someday for sure! (tracking bike is also cheaper than tracking a GT3, ha!)

ron_dargenio: LOL! Good thing that my wife does not visit Rennlist.. !
Old 07-24-2009, 12:35 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey man, whenever you want to take a nice spirited drive, let me know!!!
Old 07-24-2009, 03:44 PM
D-Uber Cars
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrads on your great new toy! Having some motorcycle road race skills will help you more than you realize. Remember, just like on the bike "when in doubt just gas it" = (In the GT3) No lifting! And yes, rev matching during the downshifts take a little more practice than "blipping" the throttle on a bike.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:11 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

I guess I probably spoke too soon when I talked about the Rennlist history of the car.. I think when MJSpeed and 930man commented on Modoc's for sale post earlier. When they said that it was their car.. they probably just meant it was similar to their cars...

Because when I went back to MJSpeed's original for sale post, I see that his does not have PCCB, for example. (Although it was white w/ natural brown interior, just like the one I got) So I am sure it is a different car..

Oh well.. ! Ha!!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:55 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd sign up for a PCA DE. You'll learn a lot and likely will do fine. When I got mine 2 years ago, I bought it on a Friday afternoon and it was at Mid Ohio on the track on Monday.

Quick Reply: Dreams Do Come True! Newbie Self Introduction!