Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreams Do Come True! Newbie Self Introduction!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:51 PM
swbatte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me Likey!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cfjan
I am thinking:

- Drive the car on the street for a few months. Get used to driving a stick again (after a 12 yrs gap..) Get a better feel of the car first. (although, I wish I can do some ride along w/ someone w/ more experience to see if I am shifting the car right, etc.)

- Join local chapter of PCA and start participating in some fun runs and driver's education.. and then eventually track days.. ?

- Or should I look into autoX? Slower speed, less chance of damage, and learn some basic car control?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! A FEW MONTHS?! I give you 5 days, maybe a week tops!, before you start looking into where the nearest organised event is!

Congratulations to a great car. It is just as good as it looks!
Old 07-27-2009, 08:55 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do all of the above! Get as much seat time as you can! don't worry about the venue do them all.

Originally Posted by cfjan
Anyway, unlike most of you, my progression in car is an odd one. I didn't have a M3, a Lotus, a Boxster, etc. before this.. I basically drove a Toyota sedan for the past 12 yrs. Have always been into cars but it was always "do the right things".. go to school, pay off student loan, buy a house, buy another house, get married, pay for the wedding, etc.

So now I am jumping straight from a Toyota couch to a GT3..

I am a mechanical engineer by training so I understand the basic stuff. (gear ratio, why we need heel 'n toe, what does syncro do, etc, etc.) I have also tracked a Suzuki GSX-R quite a bit (until it was stolen) so I have been to tracks many times, even racing against each other (club level racing) But this is the first high performance car I own, and I will need some advice on what to do.

I am thinking:

- Drive the car on the street for a few months. Get used to driving a stick again (after a 12 yrs gap..) Get a better feel of the car first. (although, I wish I can do some ride along w/ someone w/ more experience to see if I am shifting the car right, etc.)

- Join local chapter of PCA and start participating in some fun runs and driver's education.. and then eventually track days.. ?

- Or should I look into autoX? Slower speed, less chance of damage, and learn some basic car control?

Anyway, I don't see myself as much driving talent, but I think that there's plenty that I can improve upon.. so I definitely want to move toward that direction.. Would love to hear from you guys on what to do. Think of someone who has never driven a high performance car.. a blank sheet, if you will. How would you approach it.

Oh right.. also, keep the cost down first if you can.. ha! I mean, I know I'd love to do those schools, etc. But I think I need to take a break from spending more money for now.. !

Thakns!!
Old 07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for all the advices! Keep them coming!

I took the first step yesterday and signed up for PCA. Looking forward to start participating some events w/ the local chapter here (Connecticut Valley Chapter).

For the beginner's group, will a fire extinguisher be required? Those from Sharkwerks look very good but I think they only work w/ the GT3 seats?!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:17 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tons of great feedback in this thread.

Autox is great for learning how to control the car at the limits in a safe environment. Our local skidpad has some danger areas near the edges but the middle portion is completely safe. I tell newbies to push it when in the "safe zone" until they spin the car. You've got to learn where the edge is.

Once you start going to track days you'll realize that the GT3 is like a caged tiger at the autox. The track is where it wants to live.

Oh yeah...it won't take long before you get new seats. Seriously though, I love the Euro GT3 seats. Those with the 6-pt harness lock me into the seat and I become "one" with the car. This helps me detect tire slippage sooner and I can respond with a minor correction as opposed to sliding around in the stock seats and wondering if the car is sliding or if my butt is sliding. That delay can be the difference between a minor correction and a potential spin.

Cheers,
Old 07-30-2009, 11:01 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Allan,

For sure, would love a set of those GT3 seats.. Just need to find some good deal in natural brown... (that's not gonna be easy!)

Anyway, PCA took my money, so hopefully I will start participating some events!

Seems like there's endless stuff to buy.. first thing I got was a CTEK 3300.. since the car is not gonna be used everyday, I was told that a battery maintainer would be a good idea.. instead of going w/ the Porsche label unit, I went w/ the OEM version for quite a bit less.. !

I am sure that this is nothing compare to expensive stuffs that have yet to come.. (such as RS wing, GT3 seats, rotors, rims, etc.)
Old 07-30-2009, 11:22 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I saw some brown euro GT3 seats for sale by one of the vendors last year at

http://www.germanautofest.com/EventCoverage.htm

Good luck,

Joe
Old 08-03-2009, 01:34 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Joe,

Thanks for the info.. I am looking for used ones, though.. (i.e., good deals) But not in a hurry.. so hopefully some will pop up!!

-----

Anyway, it has been a wild couple of weeks for me. A few days after the GT3, we picked up a Cayman S for my wife as well.. (I guess there's a saying about how you should always buy something for the wife if you are buying something for yourself.. Or something like that.. )

So now we went from 0 Porsche to 2!

Old 08-03-2009, 01:08 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

That's great plus I see you got ample ceiling space to put 4 posts lifts and add another 2..... Keep'em coming!!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:28 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the ceiling is super high. It will easily take a lift in there. But it would require changing the rail for the garage door (as now the garage door opener is hanging low, as you can see in the pics)

Wife got the Porsche bug now. She said we need a Cayenne S to complete the garage.

Maybe a few years from now.. ha!
Old 08-03-2009, 01:48 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Sweet! White GT3s rocks. Are you gonna drive it daily?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:42 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Ha, thanks!! You know white is the fastest color!

Not my daily driver.. I am still driving my 217k miles Toyota to work daily. I did put on 100+ miles this past weekend on the GT3, however. So I am definitely not saving it or anything. (likely my car for the next 10+ yrs.. ha! Unless somehow one days I can afford a 997 RS, ha!)
Old 08-03-2009, 07:40 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember me at your place in GT3 ownership fondly... trying to work mod deals without my wife finding out, signing up for "all of it" -- auto x, track days, instructors etc..

It is just a great car that so far, for me, has only gotten better and better as my skills have improved.

Beuatiful car and welcome!
Old 08-11-2009, 01:57 AM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the welcome!!

Anyway, I promised the seller of the license plate mounting kit that I would post some pics of the finished product, so here are a couple of pics. (I need the front plate to pass MA inspection )

The kit uses the tow hook mounting hole, so you can easily swap it out. I guess you can argue that people can easily steal your plate. But then people can easily steal your plate if they have a screwdriver too, so...

For those who's interested in similar kit, you can contact Rolf at stumberger_r@msn.com
Attached Images   
Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your addition and getting the Cayman too.

It is a slippery slope so enjoy the car and the journey to full Go-Fast-Crackpipe addiction!!

Quick Reply: Dreams Do Come True! Newbie Self Introduction!