Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dreams Do Come True! Newbie Self Introduction!

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 12:20 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats however, I thought all GT3's had the "center" dual exhausts?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

The car was well maintained! Check out all the documentation!! Leakdown are basically in the 2-3% range for all cylinders (as of late '08, so I didn't ask for another check during PPI).

I hope to continue that tradition of keeping it up.. ! (the last invoice was paid for by me.. you need new tires to drive home, you know! ) I am so broke now...

The car is still under CPO warranty, so the dealer took care of the small oil leak at the bottom of cylinder bank before I picked it up.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:22 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Only the 997 version, I believe!

Originally Posted by cole328
Old 07-23-2009, 12:24 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Does this mean I have to track it now?!? The deal comes w/ Traqmate and Chasecam!

Great.. now I have to tell the wife that I am gonna spend more money?!?!

Old 07-23-2009, 12:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by cfjan
Compression is basically in the 2-3% range for all cylinders (as of late '08, so I didn't ask for another check during PPI).
Those are leakdown numbers (not compression) and VERY GOOD at that if they are across ALL cylinders. Especially since Matt drove this car at one point!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Right, right, I meant leakdown.. my bad.. !

Now I am worried.. both you and Mooty mentioned Matt..... something I need to know about?! hee hee..
Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this mean I have to track it now?!? The deal comes w/ Traqmate and Chasecam!

Yes you must track it and now that you are in the club you are required to raise your right hand and take the solemn oath of silence and denial......
Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Naw, not really, he drives like a grandma anyway
Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,494 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
all GT3 cup cars and all street 997gt3 variants have center dual exhausts
Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

this is what happens when you go from aero space to finance. you skipped b school. while getting my mba i was taught how to "cook the book, non disclosure, .005point foot notes..." and of course never volunteer and info.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:35 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

... (the last invoice was paid for by me.. you need new tires to drive home, you know! )

oh, the invoice that you will be paying will only continue ;-)
Old 07-23-2009, 12:42 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Anyway, unlike most of you, my progression in car is an odd one. I didn't have a M3, a Lotus, a Boxster, etc. before this.. I basically drove a Toyota sedan for the past 12 yrs. Have always been into cars but it was always "do the right things".. go to school, pay off student loan, buy a house, buy another house, get married, pay for the wedding, etc.

So now I am jumping straight from a Toyota couch to a GT3..

I am a mechanical engineer by training so I understand the basic stuff. (gear ratio, why we need heel 'n toe, what does syncro do, etc, etc.) I have also tracked a Suzuki GSX-R quite a bit (until it was stolen) so I have been to tracks many times, even racing against each other (club level racing) But this is the first high performance car I own, and I will need some advice on what to do.

I am thinking:

- Drive the car on the street for a few months. Get used to driving a stick again (after a 12 yrs gap..) Get a better feel of the car first. (although, I wish I can do some ride along w/ someone w/ more experience to see if I am shifting the car right, etc.)

- Join local chapter of PCA and start participating in some fun runs and driver's education.. and then eventually track days.. ?

- Or should I look into autoX? Slower speed, less chance of damage, and learn some basic car control?

Anyway, I don't see myself as much driving talent, but I think that there's plenty that I can improve upon.. so I definitely want to move toward that direction.. Would love to hear from you guys on what to do. Think of someone who has never driven a high performance car.. a blank sheet, if you will. How would you approach it.

Oh right.. also, keep the cost down first if you can.. ha! I mean, I know I'd love to do those schools, etc. But I think I need to take a break from spending more money for now.. !

Thakns!!

Last edited by cfjan; 07-23-2009 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

LOL! I didn't skip b-school Mooty.. ! But I didn't learn how to cook the book while there..

Originally Posted by mooty
this is what happens when you go from aero space to finance. you skipped b school. while getting my mba i was taught how to "cook the book, non disclosure, .005point foot notes..." and of course never volunteer and info.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:57 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Congrats!!! Great car that you will enjoy for many years.

My progression was not nearly as extreme as yours. I went from an '84 RX-7 (5 years) to a '93 RX-7 (12 years, mod'd from 255 hp to 380 hp) to a 996C2 (2 months) to a 993TT (6 months) to the GT3. The transition from the C2 and TT to the GT3 was pretty difficult for me. Had to learn how to drive that rear-weight biased car. DO NOT LIFT IN THE TURN!!!! Keep your foot into it!!

I strongly recommend doing a season of autocross. Your car sounds like it's already set up for the track, so the set up needed for autox may be a bit different, but as a learning tool you shouldn't need to change it. Autox will really give you the feel for the car.

Hell, I'm 65, so your 69-year old dad should get his own GT3!!!!

QUOTE=cfjan;6754172]Anyway, unlike most of you, my progression in car is an odd one. I didn't have a M3, a Lotus, a Boster, etc. before this.. I basically drove a Toyota sedan for the past 12 yrs. Have always been into cars but it was always "do the right things".. go to school, pay off student loan, buy a house, buy another house, get married, pay for the wedding, etc.

So now I am jumping straight from a Toyota couch to a GT3..

I am an mechanical engineer by training so I understand the basic stuff. (gear ratio, why we need heel 'n toe, what does syncro do, etc, etc.) I have also tracked a Suzuki GSX-R quite a bit (until it was stolen) so I have been to tracks many times. Even racing against each other (club level racing) But this is the first high performance car I own, and I will need some advice on what to do.

I am thinking:

- Drive the car on the street for a few months. Get used to driving a stick again (after a 12 yrs gap..) Get a better feel of the car first. (although, I wish I can do some ride along w/ someone w/ more experience to see if I am shifting the car right, etc.)

- Join local chapter of PCA and start participating in some fun runs and driver's education.. and then eventually track days.. ?

- Or should I look into autoX? Slower speed, less chance of damage, and learn some basic car control?

Anyway, I don't see myself as much driving talent, but I think that there's plenty that I can improve upon.. so I definitely want to move toward that direction.. Would love to hear from you guys on what to do. Think of someone who has never driven a high performance car.. a blank sheet, if you will. How would you approach it.

Oh right.. also, keep the cost down first if you can.. ha! I mean, I know I'd love to do those schools, etc. But I think I need to take a break from spending more money for now.. !

Thakns!![/QUOTE]
Old 07-23-2009, 12:58 PM
4porsh
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I have found that people who come from a motorcycle/track background do well at the track. They tend to build up their speed and hit the marks right on do to learning on a motorcycle you do not get a second chance. Just need to remember the weight transfer is slower in the car then the motorcycle so really feel the car.
Both auto-X and track are great disciplines to learn the car, just take time to build up speed.

Have fun,

Joe

Quick Reply: Dreams Do Come True! Newbie Self Introduction!