Sponsored by:

Suspension Setup Woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 11:25 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Setup Woes

Anyone throughout the years, never completely satisfied with their suspension?? I feel like once I started adding which were suppose to be better components, going to best of the best shops to do the work with tons of race experience and knowledge to set a car up, basically just left me underwhelmed each time getting it back.

The car is nut and bolted every time, I have Motons, gt3 control/a arms, dog bones, other misc parts.. It seems so damn finicky as the more aggressive approach went into play..

Picked my car up today, from a reputable shop and the car just doesn't feel solid at all.. It feels soft, and just blah.. It's precision is gone, front end bite very sloppy and it just keeps getting worse each time I get it back, it's to a point I cannot take it anymore and will go back to stock everything :/

I know everything is a bit vague, without knowing the previous setups, driving conditions, track conditions, etc.. But essentially my GT2 isn't a race car, nowhere near it but the components I put into it made it a very competent track car, so much so it sucks on the street even more so.

Martin
Old 04-29-2009, 11:46 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you have a knowledgeable person set up your motons at the track with you? I've heard they are tough to get set right.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:05 AM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Anyone throughout the years, never completely satisfied with their suspension?? I feel like once I started adding which were suppose to be better components, going to best of the best shops to do the work with tons of race experience and knowledge to set a car up, basically just left me underwhelmed each time getting it back.

The car is nut and bolted every time, I have Motons, gt3 control/a arms, dog bones, other misc parts.. It seems so damn finicky as the more aggressive approach went into play..

Picked my car up today, from a reputable shop and the car just doesn't feel solid at all.. It feels soft, and just blah.. It's precision is gone, front end bite very sloppy and it just keeps getting worse each time I get it back, it's to a point I cannot take it anymore and will go back to stock everything :/

I know everything is a bit vague, without knowing the previous setups, driving conditions, track conditions, etc.. But essentially my GT2 isn't a race car, nowhere near it but the components I put into it made it a very competent track car, so much so it sucks on the street even more so.

Martin
Hey Martin,

I feel your pain.

The more you upgrade your suspension the more ways there are to adjust stuff. And get it wrong. you have no idea how many people get motons and think they are getting a magical suspension and wind up going slower b/c they are not adjusted right.

I have all the stuff you have and a ton more (I'm ALL cup and RSR bits) it took me over a year to set the bitch up (closer to 2). And even then I had to tear the suspension down more then once and start from scratch. Several shops later, my coach sent me to the guy that does his race cars for grand am he set up the car and listed a page worth of mistakes the other "reputable" shops did wrong. On top of that i "enlisted" Lex at Moton to rebuild my tripples custom for my car and give me baseline settings and spring rates ( I have springs as pen holders all over the house from the amount of time I switched them. Then I plugged Stanton in the car and wouldn't let him out until he dialed in the shocks. I still call him all the time and bounce stuff off him.

The car now does what's asked of her consistently and within 1/10s per lap (even in my hands) No more unexplained 360's from rubber deflection and I'm 5s faster then stock per lap at any circuit.

Another thing you need to consider is that it needs to feel right to YOU. I may have completely different driving style then you and thus different set ups.

Seriously, to do it right you need to first rent the track (b/c other cars with screw things up for you), you need new tires, data aq (technically you need a shaker rig) and a pro to set it up or you'll drive yourself crazy. You can do it cheaper of course but it's a compromise.

Feel free to PM me with questions or if you need advice settings or just to vent.
I hate to say it, but you made your bed buddy, too late to go back to stock, it will be cheaper to hire a pro and get it done once and for all.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:49 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,766 Likes on 2,363 Posts

reputable shop doesn't always have reputable tech's.
most shops have techs for racing and techs for us.
you may be in a good shop but the good tech's are out with the team.
Old 04-30-2009, 12:57 AM
va122
Drifting

Mooty's absolutely correct.

Martin tell me your set up and we'll go from there
Old 04-30-2009, 03:09 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheaper to Fly out a real expert and do it right than go through all the do overs...

Some...
http://fordahlmotorsports.com/racing.htm
http://www.alexjobracing.com/team_fordahl.htm

Greg is a wizard...

Syngeryracing.com - call Cole for who on his team
http://www.synergyracing.com/
Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Just post your spring rates, sway bar settings, and your alignment specs. With all the other parts you have, that is a good place to start.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:05 PM
va122
Drifting

shock settings, tires you plan on using, cross weights. Whatever you got. There's enough gurus here to give you a baseline at least.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:11 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I deal with a very reputable shop here but the last three techs that have worked on my vehicles have all been fired because of mistakes. I have a friend here with a Cayman that has dropped a ton of cash into it including a 3.8 X51 engine and fully adjustable suspension. After almost two years of tuning he almost has it handling as well as a stock Cayman and has decided to sell the car...fed up.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:57 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Guy's, thanks so much for the support, opinions and info.. I never though I would ever be in this position, my one dream car turned into a nightmare that I don't even want to face or drive anymore.. My first year of ownership was just a joy, I had the motons in, on street tires but just a basic setup and that was it.. Then this past year it just all started going down hill, as each part, dynamic of suspension, etc was being changed!

I will get a fax of my exact setup as I forgot the sheet at the shop, I just wanted to get the hell out of there!

I will post up all of the info you guy's want to see by tonight, then hopefully I can find some resolution. I hate wasting money, but would love this resolved and be able to rekindle my love for this car, as well as be able to enjoy it.

Thanks again guys, stay tuned.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:34 PM
va122
Drifting

Dude don't get bummed out, I nearly got killed on track by a bad setup. We;l get to the bottom of it. It's probably something stupid. I'm guessing your dog bones if they are indeed adjustable like mine are adjusted wrong giving you toe out under load, happened to me
Old 04-30-2009, 06:25 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

There really is not a lot of mystery to setting these cars up. Just a lot of people that are clueless... Will look forward to your setup...
Old 04-30-2009, 08:52 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Well guy's why am I not surprised. Couldn't get anyone on the phone to have them fax my info over, I mean it was like this for the month my car was there, why would it change? :/

Hopefully tomorrow I can get what I need, and we can proceed forward, I appreciate the willingness to get this sorted or headed in the right direction from each and every one of you! That is priceless, stay tuned.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,766 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Leigh2
I deal with a very reputable shop here but the last three techs that have worked on my vehicles have all been fired because of mistakes. I have a friend here with a Cayman that has dropped a ton of cash into it including a 3.8 X51 engine and fully adjustable suspension. After almost two years of tuning he almost has it handling as well as a stock Cayman and has decided to sell the car...fed up.
that's why despite my love for mid engine, i have not done a 3.8L yet.

maybe i have to go ferrari.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:08 AM
va122
Drifting

Rad just did, and I'm following suit as soon as I get some cash.

Quick Reply: Suspension Setup Woes