Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life is good with the GT3 at the track-pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 04:54 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Chris, the MPSC is going to take FOREVER to get to temp in cold weather so I am surprised you like them so much. They are more of a "deep south" kind of tire.

As far as the Nitto's rubbing, the only place they rub is at full lock and when new. The only place I was ever rubbing was in the paddock getting out to head to the pits!
Old 11-15-2008, 04:58 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I sliced the outside rim of the tire with the lip of the fender, and knocked out the side signal light on the pass. side. A little fender rolling at the track took care of it...mostly. As I said, each car will be a little different, depending on what your alignment settings are, and how you got them...shims vs rotation vs both.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Leigh2
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

What about Kumho V710??? Any comments?
Old 11-15-2008, 07:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I've no experience with the Kumho line.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:08 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Price
The Nittos have slightly different dimensions, so beware. I rubbed with my front Nittos, but not with R6s or MPSCs. I have changed my alignment, and rotated by struts since, so I expect each car will be a little different. I also liked the durability of the Nittos, but thought the grip was not good enough for me to get them again. My difference was greater that Dell's, between the Nittos and R6s, but Mid Ohio does not have as many long straights as VIR, so is perhaps more grip dependent. Nittos are tough enough to drive to the track, if the weather is dry. I also like MPSCs with the GT3. I did not like them with my 993.
Hey Chuck,

Aren't you suppose to be at VIR Audi Event right now? It has been a year since I met you last year. Remember my spin? I made a .gif LOL!

Nice review. Just wanna add that MPSCs are scary in wet. R888s perform night and day difference in the rain compare to Mitchilins. I drive the car absolutely everywhere with those tires on (except in mud). They are very tough as well. Can't wait to try the Nittos.

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I may be in the minority but I like MPSCups although I'm cording the outside rears now ... even with a lot of camber.
Every tires has pros and cons. MPSCs are fast and consistent if your sessions are longer than 20 mins. You can tell the difference in some DEs where they combine the groups together at the end of the day. R888s can get little greasy. I never had that problem with Mitchilins. But, MPSCs takes longer to heat up so bad for TTs. R888s heats up after braking hard into like 3-4 corners. It's depends on how you use it really.

Originally Posted by iLLM3
SICK AS HELL, right where it belongs.. BTW Ken go with NT01's, wish I could try them out s I went through my R888's and wanted something comparable , but they don't make my sizes for the GT2
Damn, another reason I should *not* get GT2 then. LOL!
Old 11-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Carefree
Pro

Datax,
OMG, that is one hell of a slide show. It is amazing how far a car can slide, even when it is under control. You kept the wheel straight and it still did not work, damn phyisic's, you did the right thing and ended up on the wrong end.
I went out on Hoosiers, got all cross-eyed and pulled off before "S" hit the fan. Moisture and a GT3 do not go well together as I figured out all too fast.
Thanks for posting that up, we can all learn from it.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:29 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carefree
Datax,
OMG, that is one hell of a slide show. It is amazing how far a car can slide, even when it is under control. You kept the wheel straight and it still did not work, damn phyisic's, you did the right thing and ended up on the wrong end.
I went out on Hoosiers, got all cross-eyed and pulled off before "S" hit the fan. Moisture and a GT3 do not go well together as I figured out all too fast.
Thanks for posting that up, we can all learn from it.
It happened really fast. Just snapped and you're gone. I didn't even had time to counter steer or adjust the throttle. Car is basically stock with not so aggressive alignment. Luckily I wasn't going too fast so didn't hit anything. Went off twice that day. I sucked at driving on mitchilins. A lot of cars went off in the same turn also.

Posted some pictures here, https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...67#post4887167

Esses at VIR are fun in wet... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gAg5Sz-wbs

Last edited by datax; 11-15-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Cups take a little while to warm up. I've been out in them in less than 10 degrees Celcius. Not sure what that is in F but it's chilly. Once they warm up they are great. Perhaps its that my home track has tremendous grip. Heat cycled out Cups at Tremblant are scary greasy while I can run them to the cords at Calabogie.

Even warming them up doesn't take too long. They are consistent and don't get slippery after 20 min as mentioned above. I tried RA-1s on my S and the Cups are WAY better. Turn in is instantaneous.

I have a new set of cups and some Michelin slicks for next weekend along with my rain Dunlops.
Old 11-16-2008, 08:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I have a new set of cups and some Michelin slicks for next weekend along with my rain Dunlops.
It's like you're planning for alot of track time or something??
Old 11-16-2008, 11:48 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey... wait a second... I know that car!

Slicks, Cups, AND rainy day Dunlops? Canuck ain't messin' 'round! Are you going to have another caboose trailer for all those wheels???
Old 11-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by RJFabCab
Hey... wait a second... I know that car!

Slicks, Cups, AND rainy day Dunlops? Canuck ain't messin' 'round! Are you going to have another caboose trailer for all those wheels???
A man has got to be prepared.

Slicks I got free and have about 2 days left on them. They overpower the suspension though. Current Cups are corded so I needed a set of them and if it rains I'll stick better than anybody on the track with the Dunlops. Better than sitting in the paddock waiting for sunshine ...

All fit nicely on the tire rack in the trailer
Old 11-17-2008, 01:07 PM
MTHEORY
Instructor

Even though I don't have my car yet, I have a good time following the track threads.

Got this pic from a friend who is a regular at California Speedway. Recent GT3 crash. Heard he spun on oval and backed into the wall. This was a brand new car.

Drive safely . . . .

Old 11-17-2008, 01:58 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Now why would you post that pic? Just ruined my lunch.
Old 11-17-2008, 02:02 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by datax
Hey Chuck,

Aren't you suppose to be at VIR Audi Event right now? It has been a year since I met you last year. Remember my spin? I made a .gif LOL!

Nice review. Just wanna add that MPSCs are scary in wet. R888s perform night and day difference in the rain compare to Mitchilins. I drive the car absolutely everywhere with those tires on (except in mud). They are very tough as well. Can't wait to try the Nittos.

Every tires has pros and cons. MPSCs are fast and consistent if your sessions are longer than 20 mins. You can tell the difference in some DEs where they combine the groups together at the end of the day. R888s can get little greasy. I never had that problem with Mitchilins. But, MPSCs takes longer to heat up so bad for TTs. R888s heats up after braking hard into like 3-4 corners. It's depends on how you use it really.

LOL Loser !!! I'm sure the grip levels between 335's and 315's are negligible and I might even be quicker, who knows, i''ll try the NT01's out!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:13 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
Hey Chuck,

That's one hell of a run group!!! Three GT3's, a Ford Probe, a Beetle, and a Camaro.

Quick Reply: Life is good with the GT3 at the track-pics