Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures from VIR in wet (Can you tell my rear toe went out?) :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 08:03 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures from VIR in wet (Can you tell my rear toe went out?) :)

What did you guys set the rear sway at? GT3 is quite a handful to go around corners quickly in wet (comparing to my previous car E46 M3). Still haven't installed the toe-links yet and hope it wasn't the problem. I was little bit worried to install it because some guys are telling me it will make annoying noises with the new toe-links after several thousand miles. Anyone have any inputs? Thanks.

Cheers,
K

I have to admit that 997 RS do look good in person.

Old 12-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Ken, you're a much braver man than I am. I don't drive on the track when it's wet. For me, it's no fun (too slow) and not worth the additional risk. The car looks good. Put those damn toe links on already. It's really easy to do. I haven't heard anything about the noise. My tarret links don't make any noise.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:16 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

i havent heard of anyones making noise???
Old 12-16-2007, 11:00 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Compared to an E46 M3, the GT3 'is' a handful. That's what makes it so fun!

If your car has become a 'handful' all of the sudden, you need to re-spec your alignment.

The toe links shouldn't cause any noise unless there's something else wearing or loose.

Nice pics, BTW.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:06 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

datax -- do you run the yellow headlight films on the street? any "beef" from the local police?

sorry... a bit off topic...
Old 12-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Hey Ken,

It looks like you're enjoying the car!!

I felt like the car was a handfull as well at first (I even spun it once at Moroso). That was before I did the Kussmaul setup and learned that I need to be very very gentle with her. (I think the day I spent drifting the car helped some too)

Last track outing for me was in November, I had worn PS2's in the rear and it was raining most part of the day.
I was lapping 10sec slower than the last time out there but boy was I having fun!! I think even my instructor enjoyed the "drifts"...

With the current setup the car is a bliss to control. I can do huge slides and re-gain traction without the slightest upset.
I strongly recommend getting the car down to Kussmaul spec.
The downside is that you get less and less street miles out of a set of PS2s...

That said, I can't wait to get some R-comps on the BBS's and go chase some Porsches at Sebring!!
Old 12-17-2007, 01:55 AM
jonysan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Noticed your front splitter is missing too. Cup splitter would help front end stability a lot. Having none can't help handling.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:13 AM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jonysan
Noticed your front splitter is missing too. Cup splitter would help front end stability a lot. Having none can't help handling.

Good catch!

I tore a couple of the clips off the other day and had to remove the entire lip so not to loose it on the way back.
With the RS wing and no lip in the front, the car was a joke on the highway, front end felt light as hell and wandered everywhere.
The lip is there for a reason!
Old 12-17-2007, 11:11 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

If we did not drive in the rain, the cars would never leave home. It is very good setting to practice keeping the car balanced.HP is not going to cover-up poor technique. By the way--PS2s are great in the rain.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:28 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I absolutely love driving in the rain. One of my all time favorite session was a few months ago at CMP in the rain. There wasn't really anybody on the track except myself, another fellow instructor and a couple advanced drivers. Most fun I have ever had. You REALLY have to work on car control if you want to go fast. I ran that session on R-comps but next time I will switch over to my Hoosier Wets
Old 12-17-2007, 12:00 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try the toe-links and Kussmaul alignment next season. Effect of no front splitter is only noticeable after 90-100mph as far as I can tell. Steering does feel much heavier/weighted/more planted with splitter on. BTW, I hit 155mph in the back straight. Pretty happy considering it's wet and seen only 140ish in my M3 (even though Bimmer can go quicker in turns at this point). But, that section was the only part of the track that I did well.

Here are some black and white pics to share.

Originally Posted by PJS996GT3
datax -- do you run the yellow headlight films on the street? any "beef" from the local police?

sorry... a bit off topic...
Haven't had any problems so far. My exhaust (muffler bypass) attracts cop more than the headlights but they never pull me over (yet). Knock on the wood. Also, I don't drive the car everyday. I'm gonna be taking the films off this weekend as season is over.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by datax
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll try the toe-links and Kussmaul alignment next season. Effect of no front splitter is only noticeable after 90-100mph as far as I can tell. Steering does feel much heavier/weighted/more planted with splitter on. BTW, I hit 155mph in the back straight. Pretty happy considering it's wet and seen only 140ish in my M3 (even though Bimmer can go quicker in turns at this point). But, that section was the only part of the track that I did well.
Ken, sorry to break it to ya, but 155 on the speedo as actually in the mid 140's.

By the way, that is one AWESOME shot of the car in B&W. Framing it?
Old 12-17-2007, 02:23 PM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Ken, sorry to break it to ya, but 155 on the speedo as actually in the mid 140's.
mwahh mwahhh mwahhhhh Debbie Downer (from SNL)
Old 12-17-2007, 03:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Debbie would be proud
Attached Images  
Old 12-17-2007, 05:56 PM
MM-Racing
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi gays,
do you think that Kussmaul alignment will be working with Manthey (Kws) suspension as well?

Quick Reply: Pictures from VIR in wet (Can you tell my rear toe went out?) :)