Carefree
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on that.
Old 07-12-2008, 05:47 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Dell, I'm pretty sure the owner is the President of one of the PCA chapters and worked with me on the Parade Committee. If I recall a conversation I had with him last year, he said his is a real Euro GT3 RS that he had the factory paint yellow. Not confirming or denying his claims, but there are many of you out there that know exactly what to look for to spot a fake...
Here's a pic of the car:
http://picasaweb.google.com/porschep...38883277141826
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2008, 06:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

In addition to all the things already stated, the Teq bar as opposed to the RS bar tells me right away. Also, the Porsche stickers on the side of the wing scream the same thing the fake side foils do.

IIRC, the RS never came with a paint to sample option. It came in white with the option of red or blue "accents" for the wheels, foils, stitching, etc aand CF accents like the side mirrors and the rear spoiler.

Oh yeah, the "GT3RS" foils on the car that he has are the ones used on the 997GT3RS not the 996. The 7RS foils on the rear valance are short and SOLID like his since they stop at the rear vent while the 6RS foils wrapped all the way to the rear (and faded as they got around to the rear). My guess is since the 7RS foils were available to purchase in black (and rear decklid badging) and the 6RS foils (and rear decklid badging) come in Red or Blue, then the car owner chose the 7RS foils.

Here are a couple pics....

**the 6RS pic is one of our members cars (John) taken from the "post a pic of your GT3" thread and the 7RS I pulled from the net**
Attached Images   
Old 07-12-2008, 06:21 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
In addition to all the things already stated, the Teq bar as opposed to the RS bar tells me right away. Also, the Porsche stickers on the side of the wing scream the same thing the fake side foils do.

IIRC, the RS never came with a paint to sample option. It came in white with the option of red or blue "accents" for the wheels, foils, stitching, etc aand CF accents like the side mirrors and the rear spoiler.

Oh yeah, the "GT3RS" foils on the car that he has are the ones used on the 997GT3RS not the 996. The 7RS foils on the rear valance are short and SOLID like his since they stop at the rear vent while the 6RS foils wrapped all the way to the rear (and faded as they got around to the rear). My guess is since the 7RS foils were available to purchase in black (and rear decklid badging) and the 6RS foils (and rear decklid badging) come in Red or Blue, then the car owner chose the 7RS foils.

Here are a couple pics....

**the 6RS pic is one of our members cars (John) taken from the "post a pic of your GT3" thread and the 7RS I pulled from the net**
Like I said, you and others on the board know a LOT more about this than I - and I knew you'd see some immediate things that would confirm or deny how 'real' the car is... I do know the guy is a big Porsche enthusiast, but perhaps he built his version of the 'RS'. Goes without saying that if that's the case, it's a bit of false advertising and not something many of us would do.
Here's another pic I found from the chapter site that is good for a side view comparison with your pic post above:
Attached Images  
Old 07-12-2008, 06:27 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 30 Posts

Dell, to answer your question; I think these people want their cars to stand out from the mass. Even though GT3s are super rare on the roads, there are plenty of them at the track events.

Ok, so they want to stand out and be different but I agree with you, why pretend the car is something it isn't? I think that's just bad taste.

Remember my GT3 and the discussions about my CS decals!? I did that because I wanted the car to stand out. I did not want to have RS written all over it, as that would've been bad taste in my books.
But since there never was a real GT3CS version (it was just an option package for all standard GT3s), I figured I'd be different call my car a GT3 CS. I don't think that's posing because, like I said, there is no GT3CS. Just GT3s with or without the CS package and GT3RSs.

my $.02
Old 07-12-2008, 06:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

This is wrong on just so many levels now.......especially if he is telling you that he special ordered it that way. That is the part that blows my mind. It's one thing to say "no, it's not a RS but I love them so I added some of the flair to mine" (like Juha did with the CS logo) but now this lie is just over the top as that points to something much worse (personality-wise) than just trying to copy another car.........

Wheels are painted wrong for the 6RS as well. Even if there was a black and yellow option (and there wasn't) the wheels would only have the spokes painted black.

Since I can't see the front, I wonder if he has the RS nose with the canted radiator?

His rear window looks like glass not lexan.

What about all the suspension bits and the engine internals? And the list goes on and on and on......
Old 07-12-2008, 06:38 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know if he had just used the GT3 decal and left the GT3 badging on the car no one would have a problem with it even though it might not be to our taste...he can put all the faux crap on the car he wants to...he won't fool any knowledgeable GT3 owners...the teq bar is a huge giveaway...he didn't do his homework...he would probably say he had to take the Euro RS items (bar, plastic windows..etc) out to make it US street legal...I only know of a couple that have been done and they were both white with red and blue decals/wheels...oh well, whatever spins his tires
Old 07-13-2008, 07:12 AM
munro86
Racer

You know what the problem is? Poor Dell is jealous because he's only got a crumby old stock GT3. Relevance deprivation syndrome again!
Old 07-13-2008, 09:35 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Stock?
Old 07-13-2008, 12:30 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Decal envy.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:22 PM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Through random conversation at a bar last Friday someone overheard I had a GT3. Later he asked if it was a factory GT3? Yes.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:34 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Is it me or no one really noticed the wrong decals. His decals were done similar to 997 where the ends or cut sharp. The real 996 RS decals, like on the picture Dell posted, have the ends fading into the body color. Then end plates on the wing are 996 and not 997.

Edit : again on the decals, his are in a slant like the 997 and the 996 are bigger and straight.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:03 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you didn't read far back enough...Dell busted the decals big time...they are off of a 997 and are black...the wheels are wrong for a 996 RS as well...the 996 decals and wheels were only blue or red and only the wheel spokes were colored not the entire wheel...not to mention that the 996 RS didn't come in speed yellow to begin with....this was all covered by the Dellster
Old 07-13-2008, 05:58 PM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

At least he tracks his car...
Old 07-13-2008, 06:28 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,719 Posts

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
At least he tracks his car...
I know, but that's where he'll be exposed the most.

It's funny because when the day this thread came out, my daughter spotted a car on the street and said, "Dad, is that a new 5 Series?" The car was a Mitsubishi Galant or something of the sort with a 530i badge on the trunk lid with a BMW Roundel on the back.

But wait, it gets better! To complete the deception, she put "BMW of San Diego" license plate frames around the front and rear plates. I took a picture with my cell phone to specifically post here, but didn't come out very well.

Quick Reply: Why do people fake badge a GT3 a GT3RS?