Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do people fake badge a GT3 a GT3RS?

Old 07-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carefree
While I would love some Cup Graphics, my car would dis-own me..........
Nah, by putting "sponsorship" stickers on your car you're not fooling anyone. I actually thought it was pretty cool when Fred did it to his RS.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Carefree
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"F" me, what a sweet ride!
I was just in Ashland, OR and looked at Seth's Orange RS, which he tracks at Thill, what a great looking car, very nice. I just need to be greatful of what I have and the Rennlist community for helping me equip it just right!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:23 AM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, Fred, with his new CGT, seems to me to be a class act.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:26 AM
josephla
Instructor

There is a guy in my hood that use to have a speed yellow gt3 with gt3 rs red stickers on the sides it was an absolutely gorgeous car yellow gt3 wheels, cf wing, cargraphc exhaust, cf mirrors but the stickers kind of took soethimg away from it. Then last fall he had a brilliant idea.... he traded it on a orange 08 gt3 rs now i drool everytime i drive by the house..... Well done sir
Old 07-08-2008, 01:51 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Talking ....

Originally Posted by roberga
I had the GT3 kit but it did have the Carrera badge. The plate was GT3 NOT
Old 07-08-2008, 02:02 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

How about this 19mpg AMG Prius?
However, I think some times kids do such things... then it is ok.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 AM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Just trying to understand the rationale for this.
The only "rational", if that: POSUER
Old 07-08-2008, 10:02 AM
MM-Racing
Racer

"...Why do people fake badge a GT3 a GT3RS?". The answer is very simple: MONEY AND LADIES (SEX)

Once I told my friend that men do not even talk with each other if there were not girls. He said it's not true.
I asked; than what did they talk about. He said i.e football.
There were not any footballers because thay paly for women as well

That's how our live looks like
Old 07-08-2008, 11:46 AM
One of Twenty
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday I was driving behind a BMW 318i which had correct 318i badge on the upper right hand side of the trunk lid and an M3 badge affixed to the upper left portion of the decklid.

BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers,

Greg
Old 07-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another pet peeve of mine.... Poseur sponsor stickers all over the car! I mean because someone has Fikse this or EVOMs that, etc do they really need to advertise the product on their car? As if the company is giving them money for doing so. LOL
Old 07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/...bmw-m3-on.html

they are everywhere.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

Jeeze why all the hate? People build '73 rs clones all the time. Those certainly have RS decals. Why? Because that's the look. So if someone wants to RS badge their GT3 (with only factory stickers, of course and rs aero would also be required), I say more power to them. The RS really only means a marginal difference in performance than the 3. It's not like they are rs badging a carrera so they are not claiming much more than what they have. However, all that being said, I think it's reasonable to require that their 3 performance be greater than or equal to rs performance to avoid poking a bit of fun at them. In other words if you did the better aero and upgraded the suspension so your 3 is even more racecar like and you like the rs look, that's cool with me. Although only rs stickers is kinda poseur-esque
Old 07-09-2008, 03:31 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Keith, sorry but that is a lame explanation. That's saying that we should be able to re-badge our car with ANYTHING that the car resembles and performs equal (or better) to.

My GT3 has about every imaginable part on it that you can think of that has transformed my car into a cup. Still waiting to get the full cage installed and then it will be complete. So by your rationale, should I be able to re-badge my street GT3 a GT3Cup? You could put EVERY piece that the RS has on your GT3 that the street version does not and it STILL is NOT a GT3RS. There is a reason there are VIN#'s and no matter how hard you try you can't change it. And no, building a clone is NOT the same thing.

BTW, it's not hate, it's a simple question as to WHY people do it. The car is clearly a GT3 not a GT3RS so why change the badge in the first place? Why not RSR then? Please re-read my initial post and maybe you will understand what I was asking in the first place.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:56 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 146 Posts

To clarify my post, I think most people have no problem with '73 RS clones, so there must be some sliding scale of when it's "reasonable" to rebadge... I just gave my own criteria for when I don't mind seeing it.

In regard to why. Well there were no 996 RS's in the states, maybe someone really wants to drive an RS, loves the heritage and has a GT3. They do have a distinctive look with the side stripes and all. I don't think it gets more complicated than that. I don't think 3 owners really think they are fooling anyone.

I see your point about no rebadging at all. However if someone replaces part for part everything that makes an RS an RS, I think it's a pretty hard line to take when you say that it's still not an RS. I'd prefer not to look up the details right now, but I'm sure that some factory cars (race or perhaps RS's over the years) had been built in different ways, some produced as the final product and some converted later in the production process. I mean a Ruf whatever is a ruf whatever whether it was built from a bare chassis from porsche or converted later. That's a stretch, but I'm almost certain there are examples in Porsche's history.

Again, my criteria is just that there be something reasonable backing up the badge for me to let them pretend. I always see type r accords and wonder where the rest of their "race" upgrades are (suspension, brakes, additional cooling...) besides the big ugly muffler. The integra type r was a great race car, the RS of the sport compact import world.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:47 PM
ArcticGT3
Racer

Originally Posted by josephla
There is a guy in my hood that use to have a speed yellow gt3 with gt3 rs red stickers on the sides it was an absolutely gorgeous car yellow gt3 wheels, cf wing, cargraphc exhaust, cf mirrors but the stickers kind of took soethimg away from it. Then last fall he had a brilliant idea.... he traded it on a orange 08 gt3 rs now i drool everytime i drive by the house..... Well done sir
Sorry but I can't resist! I saw that guy at an autocross 3 or 4 years ago. He missed the start gate twice, was slow, and then made a comment on how much better the car felt with the Motons...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why do people fake badge a GT3 a GT3RS?