Not sure I am going to help with your confusion ... but here is what I know;
apparently the 997 cup *front* ducts are the same as those on the 997.1
street car, and are in fact around $20 each, they are also, as they say in
the trade "teeny tiny" ...

AFIAK there are "no" rear ducts on the 997.1 GT3 to speak of, which has
recently been rectified by the new 997.2 which does have such ducts, and
those may be retrofitted to the 997.1 GT3 (see my thread on this in the 997
GT3 forum).

I dont know if these ducts can be retrofitted to either a 996/7 GT2 ...

hope this helps
Interesting, that did help somewhat Now to continue this, Which ducts does the GT2 have, as I see like I mentioned before they seem to be shared with the motorsport/or gt3 cup ducts?? lol.. My car has rear ducts as well, I didn't know the 997 GT3 didn't have rear ducts or that the 997 cup ducts were tiny oem ducts, wow this is confusing!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:44 AM
StevoUK
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GT3RS ducts are 176 pounds plus vat per pair. in the UK

Total 198 pounds.

For two bits of plastic.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:45 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Interesting, that did help somewhat Now to continue this, Which ducts does the GT2 have, as I see like I mentioned before they seem to be shared with the motorsport/or gt3 cup ducts?? lol.. My car has rear ducts as well, I didn't know the 997 GT3 didn't have rear ducts or that the 997 cup ducts were tiny oem ducts, wow this is confusing!

I believe the 996GT2 comes with the Cup car front ducts if I remember my part #'s correctly. I know when I replaced the right front it almost drags the ground. Looking @ the new rear ducts I don't see why you couldn't retrofit them to the rear of a 996. I doubt they changed the LCA that much. Something to look into.

Peter
Old 07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I believe the 996GT2 comes with the Cup car front ducts if I remember my part #'s correctly. I know when I replaced the right front it almost drags the ground. Looking @ the new rear ducts I don't see why you couldn't retrofit them to the rear of a 996. I doubt they changed the LCA that much. Something to look into.

Peter
Peter have a link to them?? Should I replace both rears instead of the 1?
Old 07-14-2009, 01:08 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 804 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by iLLM3
Peter have a link to them?? Should I replace both rears instead of the 1?
My GT2 doesn't have any rear ducting so I was looking @ these

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-solution.html

You may have RUF ducts on yours as part of your conversion.

Peter
Old 03-10-2012, 06:15 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts
Default messing around with fibreglass

Originally Posted by StevoUK
GT3RS ducts are 176 pounds plus vat per pair. in the UK

Total 198 pounds.

For two bits of plastic.

Wow - there is a ton of stuff just in the 996 gt forum on brake ducts! Amazing amount about a few "bits of plastic"! Being the first part I broke on my car, and having the same experience as Steve, I figured 1. the $25 per pair set advertised on the web were likely too good to be true, but then again for $25 how far wrong can you go? Ordered them ... but didn't arrive - problems with our post down here are common - so I never found out if those cheapies are as good as the OEMs. But when I saw a guy at the track quickly slapping together fiberglass wheel covers for an ariel atom I figured we might as well just try that approach. The process is pretty straight foward if you've ever glassed a pool or whatever and didn't take long to iron out and with 10 gt's and a handful of cups and turbos down here in our pits it made sense. This is what we did ...

Made a mold from the original (undamaged) GT3RS ducts (front and back) - then using resin and fb made the copies. Had to mess around with thickness a bit but seems they're working out well - per the pics below. Left column is a front duct coming off the mold and then getting trimmed. Right the three rear ducts are: left - on the mold, middle - finished clone, right - original (battered) OEM.

They're a bit more rigid than the originals - perhaps less malleable and thus less likely to survive a knock/bump but should allow less air to escape I imagine. Mine have scrapped a few times and made it thru better than the originals but would likely break more than the OEM parts if it got snagged/caught on something sticking up like a bridge joint or curb The cable tie is still the 'safety release' in that case.

I am considering modifying the shape to make it less high but longer to pick up more air but scrape less especially once the cars are lowered (say by 20-40mm). Either way I want to lengthen the front part of the front ducts in a tapered way by 50mm. The new GT2 funnel like rear duct also looks like a worthwhile addition and its nice and low profile too.

Comments and tweaks/ideas welcome
Old 03-10-2012, 07:04 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

I hope it works for you. Mine are pretty beaten up by scrapes, and would not survive if they were brittle like fiberglass. It could be that I am lower, or have more challenging tracks to drive. But for the crazy cost of the Porsche part, you can probably go through several pairs and still be ahead. Plus, the satisfactiuon of making them yourself....priceless
Old 03-11-2012, 01:22 AM
HiWind
Race Car

thanks Chuck - the first set was too thin so as shown above these are twice as thick - will post pics of the after in a few weeks. But yes as you say the price of the OEM is just ridiculous for what it is. Satisfaction will be highest if it actually works as good as it looks ::
Old 03-13-2012, 08:54 PM
TurboCup87
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Looks like a great idea! Could you show some pics of the rear ducts mounted?
Old 03-14-2012, 01:52 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Will do TC
Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 AM
HiWind
Race Car

ok so testing went a bit further than expected ie I included some 'off' road testing and needless to say the stiffer ducts don't like being filled with sand and ploughed through desert tundra. No terrible results as both the front (which just cracked) and the back (which got split in half) are easily fixable ie going to slap another coat of resin and glass on them tomorrow and shd be right as rain for next week. But the cable ties didn't just pop off under strain; they tore through fibreglass in a couple places.

Did they help with brakes? Can't say for sure as I didn't heat gun them but the GT2 has them so it fits on the 996-3 and I trust Stuttgart put them there for a reason.

Here are some before/after pics (all taken today tho)

back view of right back duct - fine ie same as before essentially

front duct - right - fine and back duct intake visible further back

rear left duct - remains after I ripped off the piece that was flapping

OT: nice to see my new x pipes cat bypass starting to get some colour - b4 and after

Last edited by HiWind; 03-23-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 03:09 AM
samdeshi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed the spoiler control arm for GT2 on my GT3.

Reference: protective plate shape (996 352 801 30/L 996 352 802 30/R)

related information:
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...3205/note.aspx
http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/...3218/note.aspx
Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 AM
HiWind
Race Car

I finally took the plunge and ordered the way too cheap ones off eBay after splintering my 3rd set of bd's made from fiberglass. $20 each and are perfect ie well made and fit well on the gt3 - talk to szensius@fjfremont.com at porsche of Fremont. Nice guy - went the extra mile too for my measly order of 2 sets.

Actually took them farming the first day and they survived admirably!

They're the slightly narrower 997 ones but the cars low and the scraping less so I'm happy.
And they have perfectly set holes for the obligatory cable ties

Quick Reply: Cup Car Brake Duct DIY