Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust time I think....what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 05:51 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

LOL. I WISH I was saving that much on the seats. lol. Shiet..
Old 01-24-2008, 08:48 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Tim, I'm in the same situation as you. Not looking to do anything in the near future though, but at some point I'll be getting some aftermarket mufflers to replace the bypass pipes that are on there now.

My requirements:
Good sound
Light weight
Reasonable price (EP too pricey for me too)
Passing sound at Laguna (or else why bother?)

So, keep us posted on what you decide & how it works out.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:12 PM
KCPSG
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I know you said that price was an issue...but I have the Milltek headers w/high flow cats & mufflers and the sound is fantastic. There is no drone anywhere. I know they are pricey...but if you could find them used...you may save some big $$.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:16 PM
Jetmech
Racer

I have Europipe..bought by prior owner...very happy..and the welds...i want to put a mirror under the car when I park....

Last edited by Jetmech; 03-25-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:18 PM
racingfan
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It looks like you've already decided on Fabspeed, but I'll put in another vote for Cargraphics (loud export version). I absolutely love mine. It weighs half as much as stock, no droning at all, terrific bark when you get on it with a scream at high RPMs, as quiet as stock when cruising on the freeway under steady throttle, and because it's fairly high pitched, you can hear the mechanical engine sounds as well (deep/throaty exhausts sometimes mask the mechanical sounds). As an added bonus, it also gives a very nice BAP-BAP-BAP under lift-throttle conditions.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:12 AM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
I run the Cargraphic mufflers. Great sound, nice bark, screams nicely at top-end, well-built, and lighter than stock, of course.
+1, Agreed. Definitely class A.

The fabspeed mufflers are light, sound pretty good, and overall fit pretty well. They're less expensive, that's the attraction in my opinion.

Word to the wise, keep your stock headers and cats for years of stress free GT3 enjoyment.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:08 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,637 Likes on 2,319 Posts

either muffler bypass like holger or euro pipe. nothing else.
i have seen cargraphic in person, many sets. i cannot fathom why ANYONE would pay for that. every set i have seen that's driven hard on track got the cat blown.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:12 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
either muffler bypass like holger or euro pipe. nothing else.
i have seen cargraphic in person, many sets. i cannot fathom why ANYONE would pay for that. every set i have seen that's driven hard on track got the cat blown.
Stock cats or Cargraphic?

What cans are on your 6?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:33 PM
CT03911
Banned

i have been quiet about my muffler issues out of consideration for the company that I hope resolves them. I will write more as it plays out. I hope to write how happy I am with their resolution. I am not right now. Lets just say anyone considering replacement mufflers might want to call my cell 203-376-9551. Anytime. Dennis Cohan
Old 01-25-2008, 04:02 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

And the plot thickens...lol.

CTO3911 -- Do share, thats what the board is for...your opinion! I am sure we would all like to hear your experiences....good or bad. Just because you may have had a bad experience with a brand or two, does not mean that people will get their panties in a bunch...well, they may, but tough ****. Please share your thouhhts.

Austin -- come on man, you opened the can with "Word to the wise, keep your stock headers and cats for years of stress free GT3 enjoyment", now spill the beans! Why are cats and or headers a bad idea? I can't think of why they would be a bad idea...I would really value and appreciate your thoughts! I, of course, will not take anybody's word/opinion as the "truth", but knowledge is key....the more you have, the better. So spill it already! :-)
Old 01-25-2008, 05:42 PM
ex10psi
Racer

Originally Posted by ArcticFox

CTO3911 -- Do share, thats what the board is for...your opinion! I am sure we would all like to hear your experiences....good or bad. Just because you may have had a bad experience with a brand or two, does not mean that people will get their panties in a bunch...well, they may, but tough ****. Please share your thouhhts.

Austin -- come on man, you opened the can with "Word to the wise, keep your stock headers and cats for years of stress free GT3 enjoyment", now spill the beans! Why are cats and or headers a bad idea? I can't think of why they would be a bad idea...I would really value and appreciate your thoughts! I, of course, will not take anybody's word/opinion as the "truth", but knowledge is key....the more you have, the better. So spill it already! :-)
+1000
Old 01-25-2008, 08:15 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by racingfan
It looks like you've already decided on Fabspeed, but I'll put in another vote for Cargraphics (loud export version). I absolutely love mine. It weighs half as much as stock, no droning at all, terrific bark when you get on it with a scream at high RPMs, as quiet as stock when cruising on the freeway under steady throttle, and because it's fairly high pitched, you can hear the mechanical engine sounds as well (deep/throaty exhausts sometimes mask the mechanical sounds). As an added bonus, it also gives a very nice BAP-BAP-BAP under lift-throttle conditions.

You guys that have the Cargraphics mufflers are running the stock cats and headers?

Maybe you should do a drive-by so I can hear it if it ever stops raining.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ArcticFox

Jeez Tim, I'll write that up this weekend or on Monday. It's pretty much common sense stuff, it's all about materials, longevity, production methods, operating costs, fuel, oxygen sensors, true performance gains and under what conditions (weather, RPM range, speed), fault codes, ECU coding and variances, fuel mixtures, heat effects and deterioration, etc. I can write the details if you like. The existing system is great and will last over 10 years.

It's just my opinion that it's the right decision to focus on handling and weight reduction (rotational or otherwise) prior to disrupting a reliable machine with headers and cats for the possibility of gaining power.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:40 PM
CT03911
Banned

My situation is I have bought one of the systems mentioned here many times. I have had considerable trouble with fitment on my GT3. In working with the company i am awaiting my third set to figure it out. I am tired of changing mufflers. I have worked with the company owner and we are confused how this could happen. it is my goal (and certainly theirs) to figure out what is wrong and end up with a great system on the car. I would much rather report that something was amiss and the company really stepped up to the plate. I am giving them that opportunity. I am almost out of patience. I will therefore withhold comments to allow them one last chance to make me a happy customer. Anyone who is actually shopping a system call me as I said in the post above. I will give you the details. I do not want to bash a company that seems to have an otherwise good reputation over one customers issues. The internet can be powerful, I am just waiting an appropriate length of time to see how this plays out. I am not being secretive, just doing what I would want if I was the business owner but mentioning it so my Rennlist buddies do in fact have access to more info if they want it.

Dennis Cohan
203-376-9551
Old 01-25-2008, 10:55 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave I
You guys that have the Cargraphics mufflers are running the stock cats and headers?

Maybe you should do a drive-by so I can hear it if it ever stops raining.
Stock cats and headers for me. I did some drive-around and pass-bys for Richard (racingfan) before he opted to buy his Cargraphic set. I've had one other tell me if/when I wanted to sell mine, he'd buy it. However, he's gone to a 997 GT3 now.

Quick Reply: Exhaust time I think....what to do?