Sponsored by:

Exhaust time I think....what to do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 02:03 AM
racingfan
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave I
You guys that have the Cargraphics mufflers are running the stock cats and headers?

Maybe you should do a drive-by so I can hear it if it ever stops raining.
Dave, I'm running the stock headers and cats as well. Joe's very kind demo convinced me I wanted the Cargraphics mufflers. You're only about 10 minutes away from me and I'd be happy to give you a listen, from inside and outside the car. I'm going to be tied up for a couple of weeks, but let's coordinate something in February. In the meantime, to hold you over (and for others who may want to know what these mufflers sound like), here's a video clip of a flyby during a recent group drive. My car appears at about 1:33. Turn up the volume...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWsqwx0mOfg

Cheers,

Richard

Last edited by racingfan; 01-26-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,638 Likes on 2,319 Posts

Originally Posted by CT03911
My situation is I have bought one of the systems mentioned here many times. I have had considerable trouble with fitment on my GT3. In working with the company i am awaiting my third set to figure it out. I am tired of changing mufflers. I have worked with the company owner and we are confused how this could happen. it is my goal (and certainly theirs) to figure out what is wrong and end up with a great system on the car. I would much rather report that something was amiss and the company really stepped up to the plate. I am giving them that opportunity. I am almost out of patience. I will therefore withhold comments to allow them one last chance to make me a happy customer. Anyone who is actually shopping a system call me as I said in the post above. I will give you the details. I do not want to bash a company that seems to have an otherwise good reputation over one customers issues. The internet can be powerful, I am just waiting an appropriate length of time to see how this plays out. I am not being secretive, just doing what I would want if I was the business owner but mentioning it so my Rennlist buddies do in fact have access to more info if they want it.

Dennis Cohan
203-376-9551
i find it VERY TROUBLING for these product manufacturers making things that dont fit welll... i dont get it. you buy a car, you make some products, you measure 2x and install once. why is it so hard to make them fit!!!

this is not just in exhaust. some seats and i mean BIG NAME seat manufacturers whose bracket do not work with their own seats. WTF.

what the hell i am gonna drop names now.
i have fabspeed, dinan, ground control, sparco, and many many other brand name aftermarket product that are simply pathetically made. just pathetic.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:15 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Austin
Jeez Tim, I'll write that up this weekend or on Monday. It's pretty much common sense stuff, it's all about materials, longevity, production methods, operating costs, fuel, oxygen sensors, true performance gains and under what conditions (weather, RPM range, speed), fault codes, ECU coding and variances, fuel mixtures, heat effects and deterioration, etc. I can write the details if you like. The existing system is great and will last over 10 years.

It's just my opinion that it's the right decision to focus on handling and weight reduction (rotational or otherwise) prior to disrupting a reliable machine with headers and cats for the possibility of gaining power.
totally. best money spent will be motons and rip out the int.

oh, and regear the damn box.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:17 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Holger B
Stock cats or Cargraphic?

What cans are on your 6?
i'll email you on Q1.
as for my can... you know me. i only pay for safety and suspension.
and both car are not on stock shox/springs. 144 at LS, pissed.... my bud destroyed me with 141 on PS2... sh**T i am adding turbo to my car
Old 01-26-2008, 02:21 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ArcticFox
And the plot thickens...lol.

CTO3911 -- Do share, thats what the board is for...your opinion! I am sure we would all like to hear your experiences....good or bad. Just because you may have had a bad experience with a brand or two, does not mean that people will get their panties in a bunch...well, they may, but tough ****. Please share your thouhhts.

Austin -- come on man, you opened the can with "Word to the wise, keep your stock headers and cats for years of stress free GT3 enjoyment", now spill the beans! Why are cats and or headers a bad idea? I can't think of why they would be a bad idea...I would really value and appreciate your thoughts! I, of course, will not take anybody's word/opinion as the "truth", but knowledge is key....the more you have, the better. So spill it already! :-)
very hard if not impossible to improve upon 996 997 oem exhaust. you can get sound, you wont get hp. or you get a fk'd up tq curve.

there are very very very few aftermkt parts you can put on our cars without the part failing. i have destroyed plenty of aftermkt parts.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:08 AM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by racingfan
Dave, I'm running the stock headers and cats as well. Joe's very kind demo convinced me I wanted the Cargraphics mufflers. You're only about 10 minutes away from me and I'd be happy to give you a listen, from inside and outside the car. I'm going to be tied up for a couple of weeks, but let's coordinate something in February. In the meantime, to hold you over, here's a video clip of a flyby during a recent group drive. My car appears at about 1:33. Turn up the volume...

Cheers,

Richard
Hey, thanks Richard...pretty cool video too. Keep me posted in a couple of weeks, maybe the weather will cooperate by then.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:38 AM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to steal Tim's thread but do you guys have more info on the Carographics? Their site http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/s,6,7,18,1494,1592/
shows "sport backbox... with TUV", "sound with TUV" and "Super Sound Export". Anyone really know how these three choices differ? Who has them on an '04 GT3 with no fitment issues.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:29 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Not to steal Tim's thread but do you guys have more info on the Carographics? Their site http://www.cargraphic.de/index.php?/s,6,7,18,1494,1592/
shows "sport backbox... with TUV", "sound with TUV" and "Super Sound Export". Anyone really know how these three choices differ? Who has them on an '04 GT3 with no fitment issues.
As noted, I have just the cans, and installed them myself with no fitment issues. BTW, I also have the Eisenmann tips.
Attached Images  
Old 01-26-2008, 06:20 PM
racingfan
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the export model. The part number is CARP96GT3ETS (Sportendtopfsatz Edelstahl -- Super Sound Export). It's my understanding that the export model is louder because it doesn't have to comply with German noise laws. No fitment issues whatsoever. I got mine from Road Sport Supply (RSS). They are the only authorized Cargraphic dealer in the US http://roadsportsupply.com/cargraphi...ng_guides.html

Hope that helps.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm running Fabspeed mufflers and cat bypass pipes. Car was dyno'ed before and after, and we lost a little on the bottom end, but gained a little on the top end, so pretty much a wash on HP gains. However, I did have CEL issues, and was blackflagged once at Lime Rock which I blame on the over zealous noise police. Overall, extremely happy with it.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:19 PM
ArcticFox
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks Austin and everybody for your input...

The big reasons I would like a new muffler is weight and sound. I like to hear the exhaust note, esp when i am wearing a helmet. Saving a few pounds is also a good thing too, esp off the rear of the car.

But, I obviously don't want a crappy muffler either....so i will continue researching other makes too. Then just go for it.

Austin mentioned some good points about headers and cats. I know how touchy OBD-II can be...and I would not want to deal with that crap either. However, the log style header on the GT3 is lame IMHO....I was hoping that a true 3 into 1 header would offer better flow and a bit more hp. Jury is still out on that I guess. I will continue my research!
Old 01-27-2008, 11:55 PM
On Pole
Racer

Look at what I picked up off of E-bay yesterday.

http://www.kreissieg-usa.com/?_page=...x=1340&page=1/
Attached Images  

Last edited by On Pole; 01-27-2008 at 11:56 PM. Reason: No picture added
Old 01-28-2008, 12:07 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racingfan
Dave, I'm running the stock headers and cats as well. Joe's very kind demo convinced me I wanted the Cargraphics mufflers. You're only about 10 minutes away from me and I'd be happy to give you a listen, from inside and outside the car. I'm going to be tied up for a couple of weeks, but let's coordinate something in February. In the meantime, to hold you over (and for others who may want to know what these mufflers sound like), here's a video clip of a flyby during a recent group drive. My car appears at about 1:33. Turn up the volume...

Cheers,

Richard
AMAZING sound. There is no replacement for a sick sounding, good quality exhaust system, Cargraphic/Europipe/RUF/PSI and a few others too!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:09 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by On Pole
Look at what I picked up off of E-bay yesterday.

http://www.kreissieg-usa.com/?_page=...x=1340&page=1/
WOW, how much did you pick that up for if you don't mind me asking, their exhaust sound ridiculous!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:17 AM
On Pole
Racer

$750 shipped.

Quick Reply: Exhaust time I think....what to do?