Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

jog? dude, didn't u see his bike in his pictures
Old 02-21-2008, 08:08 PM
gt3'er
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Right, that was a pretty trick bike. Think I'll paint my new CCW's that color.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:36 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by StevoUK
Sorry but I dont understand the standard Phillips screws holding the winglets on. My Origional wing has a screw head that you need a special allen key to remove them. Otherwise any kid who fancies having those on his Toyota can steal them in seconds.
There is more to the side plate fastner issue if one is trying to replace parts on their original RS wing (like all the folks in Europe with the 996 GT3 RS cars). datax, on the new wing, do your side plates have the recessed area for the fastner head?

I do not know if Porsche AG changed the specifications on the side plates. If they did there should be a new part number so one can order the correct side plate, original style versus new style. I think the original style was hard to manufactuer.

997 GT3 RS wing side plates use the orignal style 996 fastner but I believe the side plate is not recessed where the bolt head rests.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 AM
g3tcs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A while back I aquired a GT3 Mk2 lid for my Mk1 and bought a cheapo replica wing from ebay from an outfit in the far east. The quality was very good and had phillips fixings for the winglets. Then I spotted an ad from a private seller for a genuine wing at the same sort of price as I had just paid so I went for it. Comparing the two identified very few differences the main one being the winglet issues. The weave pattern on the replica showed a few minor 'flaws' but otherwise was a very good copy to my laymans eye.

I contacted the ebay seller and he was happy to refund as I was not 100% happy with the quality. By chance he sold another to a UK buyer so I was instructed to forward my wing onto him once the refund had been made. He even refunded all postage costs.

I would bet that these copies are coming out of Taiwan..... the guy has since sold under a variety of names and also sells carbon mirror shrouds and rear screen 'roof spoilers' amongst other items.

The quality of the item was good and the service I received left me with little complaint.

But it wasn't the real thing and I am glad I ended up with that glow that only genuine parts gives!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:48 AM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

Here is an update on my situation. My OEM RS Wing turned out not be to an OEM wing. In my case, I truely believe the vendor did not know, and the vendor was very helpful to correct the issue. With all these stories I picked up the phone and called a Porsche dealer. As Viperbob mentioned some of the dealers got the memo that the price is NOT $8,000. This dealer know this and ordered the single RS Wing in North America - Ontario. I paid around $3,300 which includes shipping. The dealer mentioned there aound 10 RS Wings in Germany and if I did not get the one in Ontario it would be at least 3 weeks to get one from Germany. So, the replica Wing goes back and hopefully I should receive the real deal from a Porsche dealer a week from today.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 PM
mtn 3
Rennlist Member

so it sounds like you guys think that the wings being sold from jd motor sports are not actually Manthey product? I was told that it was when I purchased. Does anyone know if there are any markings or a way to tell? Finish looks good but the fact that I have to find someone to drill and mount the brackets seems odd. Is that the way Manthey comes?
I have asked Greg, (who so far has been very responsive and easy to get ahold of) if it is the real deal or not in an email and am waiting for his response.
I do not want to have a fake wing, and be worried about it blowing off or breaking at speed! I really hope that I have not been fooled.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:29 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by g3tcs

I would bet that these copies are coming out of Taiwan..... the guy has since sold under a variety of names and also sells carbon mirror shrouds and rear screen 'roof spoilers' amongst other items.

The quality of the item was good and the service I received left me with little complaint.

Who was this vendor? I'm looking for some cf mirrors.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:33 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mtn 3
so it sounds like you guys think that the wings being sold from jd motor sports are not actually Manthey product? I was told that it was when I purchased. Does anyone know if there are any markings or a way to tell? Finish looks good but the fact that I have to find someone to drill and mount the brackets seems odd. Is that the way Manthey comes?
I have asked Greg, (who so far has been very responsive and easy to get ahold of) if it is the real deal or not in an email and am waiting for his response.
I do not want to have a fake wing, and be worried about it blowing off or breaking at speed! I really hope that I have not been fooled.
First sign that a wing is fake is if you have to drill the wing to mount anchors.

I don't car who the hell this martind as he might very well be a nice guy, but if you are selling a product claiming to be a Manthey wing for which it is NOT, then you need to have a nice talking to out in back of the wood shed

If you want a nice replica go with a trusted vendor like MASHAW, etc.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:39 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
If you want a nice replica go with a trusted vendor like MASHAW, etc.
Any word on the replica from Carnewal? I don't think Gert would sell junk but I haven't seen any specific info about his replica wings.

Cheers,
Old 02-22-2008, 12:43 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I am sure Gert has a nice replica but the exchange rate is killing us. The replica is almost 3k!

Gert is VERY easy to talk to and very responsive to email. Shoot him a PM or email and ask about his vendor so you know who makes it. from the pics on his website it looks good and it appears the wing supports are already installed on the wing which is a BIG DEAL!

I have bought several times from Gert in the past and will do again when the Euro stops kicking out tails in.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:51 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know if there are any markings or a way to tell? Finish looks good but the fact that I have to find someone to drill and mount the brackets seems odd. Is that the way Manthey comes?
The Manthey one does not appear to have any distinct markings/stamps on it. But the Wing comes with the brackets pre-installed. All you need to do is screw on the winglets and install as per the OEM. The Manthey version, unlike the Porsche one, has non-gelcoated edges on the winglets that are hand-sanded down. Apart from the generally slightly bigger dimensions and deeper aerofoil, there are no other distinguishing marks (at least that I could see).
Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
mtn 3
Rennlist Member

I just spoke to Greg at JD motorsports. He says he has a shop and welcomes anybody that wants to come down and see it. Mooty up for a drive?
That said when pressed for how he came by the "manthey wing" he sold me he said a friend picked them up in Germany and brought them back. Said we could check out his references with HRE. Insists he only sells the real deal.
That said mine still needs to have the brackets drilled, and screws on the winglets look very much like the ones in this ebay item. I am starting to feel like I may have just paid $1600 for one of the ones from ebay I was trying to avoid!!
Seems that if this was the real deal, there would be some way to track it to a authorized dealer.
Looks like I can take the money I spent out of my "education fund" so much for being trusting!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GT3-R...ayphotohosting
Old 02-22-2008, 02:29 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

a friend picked them up in Germany and brought them back.
likely story.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:29 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,886 Likes on 2,408 Posts

So visited JD Motorsport.

They do have a shop and beside parts sales, they also do clear bra work. Greg, the owner does some racing in a cup car and an Evo with NASA as well.

They do not have the 996RS wing blade in stock for me to see, but they did have a 997GT3 wing in CF to show me. The carbon weave on the 997GT3 wing is of good quality and appears to be well made.

I spoke with Greg about the RL thread and got some clarification. The 996RS wing blade he sell is NOT OEM, which he never claimed to be. I asked him about if it is Manthey and how he sourced it. He informed me that once he gets an order from a customer, he contacts his source in So Cal who then contacts a German source and sources them from Manthey.

Since I did not see the 996RS wing blade in person, I cannot comment on that. Bu the 997GT3 wing I saw was well made, though I do not know who made it. The shop indeed exists and is not going to disappear overnight.

I hope this info helps.

btw, i never really paid attention to the OEM RS wing so i cannot tell you if the bracket connection is correct on the pix posted on this thread. but holger, mike and most likely dell all have OEM pieces and they would be in better position to compare the quality of the bracketry.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:32 PM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some pics of a real Manthey wing. Had to zoom in/crop some existing photos, so sorry for the not great quality, but perhaps it might help you identify compared to what is on offer...

Quick Reply: 996 RS Wing from Porsche Motorsport