Sponsored by:

Track Camber Settings with slicks

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:06 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Holy crap! You hit a bump on the track and you're liable to knock your kidneys out your back
im also running 1000 F and 1300 R, working very nice
Old 09-12-2007, 08:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Those are some serious track loving spring rates!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:22 PM
AllanJ
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just out of curiousity....how nasty are those heavy springs on the road? My car is seeing less and less road time, but it still gets out there.

Cheers,
Old 09-12-2007, 09:48 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AllanJ
Just out of curiousity....how nasty are those heavy springs on the road? My car is seeing less and less road time, but it still gets out there.

Cheers,
In our neck of the woods, it's the roads that are nasty and not the springs

Mike's car hardly sees the road to say the least.
Old 09-17-2007, 02:31 PM
boqueron
Pro

Default Answer to my own question

I just came back from the track. A pyrometer has helped to know that my original settings were OK....

As many Rennlisters made some comments of the "risk" of using slicks with a standard suspension, let me give you my - very personal - results and impresions:

The new ...slicks on standard GT3 suspension= GREAT results.

I had before the best times of the driving school with 1'52" and Michelin Sport Cups. With slicks I have been able to achieve once a 1'49"3 and lots of 1'50"s. The great thing is that, before, at 10/10ths, with the Cups or Toyos in order to achieve a 1'52" I had to struggle with the car. Lots of work to keep the car in place with more countersteering that I would have liked to do. With the Slicks, it has been a more "relaxed" day.

And... the car - in effect - feels MUCH ( Yes M-U-C-H) safer at the limit, as my friends had stated... All these stories about the sudden behaviour of the car at the limit........ ( And, yes, I have taken it to the limit and it behaves quite "normally" when it brakes..Or at least as I would normally expect a car to behave in such conditions.. Nothing specially strange compared to the previous Toyos R888's)

BTW, there were two other GT3's with a Manthey conversion, a 968 full racer with racing suspension, another GT3 with cup suspension, BMW's M3's full racing equiped cars....All with slicks.

My GT3 with normal suspension AND SLICKS was the fastest today..

A pleasure....

Next saturday we will be 13 GT3's and other Porsches at a new track in the south of Spain. 2 Cups, 2 RS's. We will see how my GT3 behaves...with slicks..and it's "normal" suspension...
Old 09-17-2007, 03:36 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Glad to hear it worked ouot OK Harry. Thanks for the data point!

best,
Old 09-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very nice indeed!

As you've experienced, the GT3 can be used with slicks. The benefit of racing suspension will be more impressive in combination. Though you'll still be having one problem, the car is a bit heavy. To solve that in a reasonable manner, you'd probably should think about getting a Cup. Be aware of the amount of heat cycles you get on slicks, they have a tendency to get bad before you wear down the tires.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:31 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by boqueron
I just came back from the track. A pyrometer has helped to know that my original settings were OK....

As many Rennlisters made some comments of the "risk" of using slicks with a standard suspension, let me give you my - very personal - results and impresions:

The new ...slicks on standard GT3 suspension= GREAT results.
With what suspension settings? No change from what you opened this thread with?
Old 09-18-2007, 03:24 AM
boqueron
Pro

ltcjmramos,

Yes, same settings as pointed at the begining of the thread.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:01 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

what was your temperature gradient across the tyres (outer - centre - inner -- inner - centre - outer) for eaxh axle?

R+C
Old 09-18-2007, 07:48 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

I had before the best times of the driving school with 1'52" and Michelin Sport Cups. With slicks I have been able to achieve once a 1'49"3 and lots of 1'50"s. The great thing is that, before, at 10/10ths, with the Cups or Toyos in order to achieve a 1'52" I had to struggle with the car. Lots of work to keep the car in place with more countersteering that I would have liked to do. With the Slicks, it has been a more "relaxed" day.
Relaxed at 10/10ths? I would love to see video of your 152 lap that you fought the car with and the 149 lap with slicks that was effortless.

And... the car - in effect - feels MUCH ( Yes M-U-C-H) safer at the limit, as my friends had stated... All these stories about the sudden behaviour of the car at the limit........ ( And, yes, I have taken it to the limit and it behaves quite "normally" when it brakes..Or at least as I would normally expect a car to behave in such conditions.. Nothing specially strange compared to the previous Toyos R888's)
I think you might be confusing the "limit" of the car with pushing a bad slip angle. FYI....slicks are not going to be safer at the limit than a R-comp. There is LESS communication and a smaller window of breakaway.
BTW, there were two other GT3's with a Manthey conversion, a 968 full racer with racing suspension, another GT3 with cup suspension, BMW's M3's full racing equiped cars....All with slicks.

My GT3 with normal suspension AND SLICKS was the fastest today..
You must be one phenomenal driver! Sounds like you are ready for the big league's.

ltcjmramos,

Yes, same settings as pointed at the begining of the thread.
So you ran -2.8F and -2.2R???

Why do I find that hard to believe that on a stock suspension with those settings that you had proper tire tear? I'd be curious as t what your temps were across the tire. When did you measure the temp? Did you use a PROBE pyrometer and not a laser one?
Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

it sounds as if the change to slightly differently shaped slicks also improved the overall set up, so that regardless of the rubber characteristics, the car is better balanced.

I would be interested to know what happened under severe (over) braking, what happened when you began to lock up all 4 wheels under ABS and what happened when you were on the brakes as you entered the corner? Similarly, how was the performance when braking over uneven surfaces?

Under these conditions, I expect to experience problems with slicks and the standard Bosch 4-channel ABS, which is why the VLN cars switch to the motorsport ABS from Bosch.

Incidentally, there are lots of suspension options in the Manthey Catalogue.

R+C
PS be aware that from now on, the modifications you make to your street car will reduce its value, at this point you should balance the economics of keeping the street car or selling it and having a race car. Race cars hold their value if they are well maintained and modified, and are usually a better investment than street cars.
Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 PM
boqueron
Pro

Nordschleife,

As usual, intelligently, you have addressed an issue that has created me some problems lately : braking and ABS.

It already happened to me before with the Toyos and it did again yesterday in a turn that I know very well: Under extreme braking the ABS....did not work. I totally lost the directionality of the front wheels. Fortunately enough, this time ( the previous incident in this turn with the Toyos sent me in a straight line out of the track...) I easied the brakes and regained enough directionality to save the issue.... As a mater of fact, I nearly NEVER sense the ABS working lately under extreme braking... this has happened so much that I am slightly changing my technique : easier on brakes, more speed out... Each time that I went with this issue to the mechanichs, they would put the computer and stated ....that it showed no issues on the ABS.

This happened again this morning when I asked for a computer check: aparently no ABS failure. And I can swear 100% that the ABS did not work properly....once again !

Again, another funny thing. The car behaves now better at speed on a straight line with those Slicks than it did with the Toyos (??!!). I would have expected just the contrary. Perhaps my Toyo tyres were worn out ? At more than 240 km/h with the Toyos my car was seriously loosing it's stance. You had to breath a bit and decide to go on ( as others were doing the same...). Now, this issue has disappeared...(?)

I asked the Ohlins representative in Spain for their price . They suggested the 36HMRC in front ( with separated botle) and the 46HRC at the back. The total price, EXCLUDING 16% VAT... 8.300 US$ (!!) ...
Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 PM
boqueron
Pro

LV Dell,

Please, read carefully my thread. I have started saying that those were personal results and impressions. Perhaps my english does not help me: impressions are a subjective mater.

You must be certainly right : I should be confusing the limit of the car with pushing in a bad angle.. Thank you for enlightning me on those concepts..

I am not trying to argue nor with you nor with anybody. If you are really doubious on my performance of my car with slicks ( Please, see that I am talking of MY car, and MY performance ), once they will publish the results in their web page ( probably next week ) I can gladly PM you the web address with the published results. You will also see the results of the other cars... that day at this track.

In many cases, seing is believing.

PS.- In any case, again, you are right. Slicks are not made for everyone...

PPS.- Please note the "" on the word "relaxed" in my thread

PPS.- "Relax", this is only a game..
Old 09-18-2007, 01:02 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

3 words.....lost in translation.

What you are failing to do is provide the data points that is requested (temps). Sure, slicks can make a car "stick" to the road better. But in order to take advantage of them, you need to have the ar setup properly. Not only do you not have probe pyrometer reading, you fail to have the proper setup for the car. You stock suspension is NOT built to handle slicks. The stress level you place on the car could very well be catastrophic from a part failing.

Over the past several weeks, you talk about taking the car to 10/10th and how easy slicks are to drive, etc., etc., etc, yet you also talk about all the offs you have had. That is not the indication of somebody that has mastered the car even in it's stock form and are confusing 10/10ths with exceeding the control envelope.

I think you are confusing us trying to help you by asking for specific data which could steer you in the right direction. FYI...this is not a game, this is a sport that has very serious inherent danger and only through proper setup can you minimize the risks.

To each his own and I wish you luck in your motorsports. Enjoy your slicks.

ps. the world doesn't need another smart ***. that comes clear though in your posting regardless of the language difference.

Quick Reply: Track Camber Settings with slicks