Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those that track their GT3, do you ever think about tracking something cheaper???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 03:32 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey, instructors don't need to be fast. they should just know how to teach

Originally Posted by boqueron
HTML Code:
At a PCA HPDE @ CMP my co-driver was running 4 sec a lap faster in the M3 than 2 instructors in GT3's all of us on street tires.
4 seconds ?! And they call themselves "instructors" !

Many times we (GT3's and 964RS ) hire the track together with the BMW club. WITH the same driver, on a twisty track, an M3CLS could be 1sec (1) r slower than a GT3 only IF the former would have changed his brakes for something more reliable.....

If you are comparing a "tuned" BMW against a "plain" GT3, that's another story...

As you said, a tuned BMW can be as expensive as a GT3..
Old 07-20-2007, 03:34 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
almost? sure, I'll give you that. hard to quantify that though. as long as you are having as much fun as you can while out there and love it, then who cares if you are driving a ****box or a cup car
you'll have more fun if you have plenty of people to play with at your level, skill and HP wise.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:39 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
you'll have more fun if you have plenty of people to play with at your level, skill and HP wise.
Ain't that the truth. Some of my greatest friends on the track also have GT3's so playing cat and mouse games with them is a blast. If they didn't have the 3's I probably wouldn't have nearly as much fun.
Old 07-20-2007, 03:43 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ain't that the truth. Some of my greatest friends on the track also have GT3's so playing cat and mouse games with them is a blast. If they didn't have the 3's I probably wouldn't have nearly as much fun.

OK, thread closed. no reason to get rid of the gt3. you'll get track insurance and you have people to play with. what's the problem then? stop whining!!!!
Old 07-20-2007, 03:47 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Whining? No whining here. Just trying to get rational through this dilemma. That's all.

Looks like I will get the track insurance, love the car, and move forward to track euphoria
Old 07-20-2007, 03:53 PM
mfennell
Advanced

Originally Posted by VaSteve
Why'd you buy it at all?
This wasn't addressed to me but it applies.

Why don't we all just buy Camrys?

The GT3 a nice, fast car with a bit of an edge that's not covered in gadgets and crap to break and annoy me if I keep it for a long time. Just right for me. The suspension is barely any stiffer than a Mitus Evo and less so than an Elise with a sport pack. The only real consideration it requires vs a "normal" (boring) car is care with the low front spoiler.

Perspective is a b*tch. My brother in law has a flame shooting, alarm tripping '88 911 Turbo with 400rwhp. When I referred to my GT3 as "stripped" and "hard edged", he laughed and laughed.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:33 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dell,
I just had this debate with myself siunce the day I purchased the car. I have even come close to buying a m3 race car. In the end I'm addicted to the GT3 and have purchased insurance on it to use it the way it was intended, as my mistress

I think my wife (we just came back from our honeymoon) said it best "if all you did with the GT was look at it in the garage and rub it with a diaper I would not be with you. You and stormy (GT3) were made to race, use her for training and rent a race car club racing, she's far too pretty."

I second your point on professional instruction, if one can afford it, theres no comparison. I learned more in one session then in 40 + DEs. No offence to any of the great volunteer instructors I've had the privelage of learning from over the years.

My 2 cents
Old 07-20-2007, 04:48 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by va122
Dell,
I just had this debate with myself siunce the day I purchased the car. I have even come close to buying a m3 race car. In the end I'm addicted to the GT3 and have purchased insurance on it to use it the way it was intended, as my mistress

I think my wife (we just came back from our honeymoon) said it best "if all you did with the GT was look at it in the garage and rub it with a diaper I would not be with you. You and stormy (GT3) were made to race, use her for training and rent a race car club racing, she's far too pretty."

I second your point on professional instruction, if one can afford it, theres no comparison. I learned more in one session then in 40 + DEs. No offence to any of the great volunteer instructors I've had the privelage of learning from over the years.

My 2 cents
Excellent points.

As for the "no offense to any instructors" comment. Trust me, there is none taken. I would like to think that I am a pretty good DE instructor. Key is that I am a "DE" instructor. I couldn't even compare myself to a professional racer nor could any other DE instructor unless of course they themselves have been on that side of the motoring fence.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:54 PM
dp35
Pro

I had some of these thoughts when I got addicted to DE's in my 996. That car was such a cream puff, part of me hated running it hard on the track, but not enough to stop doing it.

Eventually I bought an Ariel Atom, which isn't much cheaper than my 996 was, but its much cheaper to run on the track, and faster too. The other good thing about it is the lack of any driving aids, not even ABS. Its all you.

One other way of looking at this dilema - have you ever considered the caution that accompanies an expensive track car a safety item? Because most of us admit not being able comfortable driving our high valued P-cars at 10/10ths, we must be safer in those cars than we would be in cheaper cars that we might push to 11/10ths. So enjoy your GT3.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:37 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Whining? No whining here. Just trying to get rational through this dilemma. That's all.

Looks like I will get the track insurance, love the car, and move forward to track euphoria
So, who sells track insurance?
Old 07-20-2007, 08:55 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Joe, here's the link to the insurance company that sells the insurance that Chris referred to in POST 39 :

http://www.snellingswalters.com/

**please confirm with him that I have the right company, but I am 99% sure it is the one**
Old 07-20-2007, 09:00 PM
rmag
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 19 Posts

Joe, here's the link to the insurance company that sells the insurance that Chris referred to in POST 39 :

**please confirm with him that I have the right company, but I am 99% sure it is the one**
Actually it's now http://www.prosure.net/. Chris moved over there. Although Snell may still be offering it. Also you can try www.Laurelde.com. That's who I use (although more expensive and higher deductable) because snell/prosucre wasn't available yet. But they have been around longer.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:08 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoom
Once you've tasted the GT3 on track, every other car feels wanting.
Ever driven a 911 Cup of any vintage (964, 993, GT3)?

I've driven a GT3R on the track, too. I'd take one of those over a run of the mill street GT3... I'm sure a GT3RSR is even better...
Old 07-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

This is where I bought from Chris Maume. He has since moved to another (his own?) agency and offers the same or a similar product. Some have moved with him and others have not. I have not found a reason to move.

Laurel DE is not real insurance as I noted above. I investigated and decided not to buy, then the Great Lakes product became available and I bought that.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

The problem I have with Chris is that he left the very company that offers it. Is he solo trying to do this on his own? I think I would rather go with the company that actually has an entire agency behind it rather than a single person trying to broker it out, wouldn't you? I mean, seriously, his website has ZERO information on it. And I don't buy the "I know motorsports" argument Chris made as the case to be able to offer this as a single person over a company that doesn't "know motorsports". Of course not, they are in the business to make money. I don't want this to get into a DE ins thread so I'll keep that as my thoughts on it. To be honest I was really turned of at his lack of etiquette in the DE thread a few months ago when he went back and forth with another agent in this public forum.

I never understood why he was gone so quickly from the company. There is more to it than what is there. He claimed they didn't carry it anymore and he left to start his own agency (1 man) so he could offer it to us enthusiasts b/c he "knows motorsports", yet we all know they still do offer it and a rep from his former company called him on it. That whole thread left a really bad taste.

Quick Reply: Those that track their GT3, do you ever think about tracking something cheaper???