Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those that track their GT3, do you ever think about tracking something cheaper???

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 12:49 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
keep it.
look at me.
i sold my first gt3 b/c like you i wanted to SAVE $$, who am i lying to....
3 months after i sold it, bought my 2nd one, also brand new.
then i sold it again to save money... yes, i am an idiot.
so after losing 20-30k on TWO gt3, i bought my third 993gt3.....
then i sold it to save money, bought a cayman s. but as nice as it was, i was not satisfied, so i bought two more caymans, yes, i had three cayman S.... dont ask. i do visit my shrink a lot..... then i ended up with an RS.... man i sure saved a LOT of money.....

dell, i hope you are SMARTER than me (or is it smarter than I).
Hey Mooty,

Just out of curiosity, you had 3 996GT3, currently owns a 997GT3RS, and you are looking for 2 996GT3s (thread from last week) Are you planning to start a race team or something?
Old 07-22-2007, 01:33 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

keep it.
Now that you will be on your 4th 996 GT3, I think you should sign over power of attorney to us as a group so that we can make sure that you are NOT allowed to sell this one without our consent!!!
Old 07-22-2007, 01:56 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
Hey Mooty, Are you planning to start a race team or something?
maybe start divorce proceedings?
Old 07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever considered a real race car?

Not sure is this has been covered but what about a REAL race car. Pick up a used Pro Formula Mazda at $80-90K and get a level of performance that no GT3 Cup could ever hope to offer. If you are only doing track days, they are actually not bad on tires and other consumables. I would venture to say that it would be cheaper to track over the course of a season but racing it would obviously be a totally different story but we are talking track day car. For something cheaper, a current Pro Series F2000 can be had for about $35-40K and will also rip the GT3 a new one and be cheaper to operate. You can get 2-3 heat cycle take-off tires for these cars at around $250 set which are perfect for track outings and everything else is pretty bulletproof under non race conditions.

Just a thought!
Old 07-22-2007, 09:51 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,762 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfred
Hey Mooty,

Just out of curiosity, you had 3 996GT3, currently owns a 997GT3RS, and you are looking for 2 996GT3s (thread from last week) Are you planning to start a race team or something?
well i did say i am seeing a psychologist. but i never said it was effective.
no, the post from other week was not for me. my friends were looking and i wanted to help out to see if i find something on RL.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:55 PM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Not sure is this has been covered but what about a REAL race car. Pick up a used Pro Formula Mazda at $80-90K and get a level of performance that no GT3 Cup could ever hope to offer. If you are only doing track days, they are actually not bad on tires and other consumables. I would venture to say that it would be cheaper to track over the course of a season but racing it would obviously be a totally different story but we are talking track day car. For something cheaper, a current Pro Series F2000 can be had for about $35-40K and will also rip the GT3 a new one and be cheaper to operate. You can get 2-3 heat cycle take-off tires for these cars at around $250 set which are perfect for track outings and everything else is pretty bulletproof under non race conditions.

Just a thought!
many of my track buddies had radicals. i know they aren't formula mazda's. but the point i plan to illustrate is the same.

these car are too fast, too light for DE use. you will ALWAYS be fighting traffic. a good formula maz or radical driver will NEVER have clean track for more than 2 consecutive corners. what fun would that be.

also, if anything happens, you will be creamed by cars that are 2x your wt....

in the end, all my radical driving friends changed platform.

however, you do have a pt in that no street car or cup cars can approach the speed of rad or FM.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

many of my track buddies had radicals. i know they aren't formula mazda's. but the point i plan to illustrate is the same.

these car are too fast, too light for DE use. you will ALWAYS be fighting traffic. a good formula maz or radical driver will NEVER have clean track for more than 2 consecutive corners. what fun would that be.

also, if anything happens, you will be creamed by cars that are 2x your wt....

in the end, all my radical driving friends changed platform.

however, you do have a pt in that no street car or cup cars can approach the speed of rad or FM.
Mooty, I certainly see your point. However, where I am, you can simply show up and go out for a track day (test & tune) and you are put out with like cars so sedans with sedans and formula with formula. A ton of fun without the silly rules imposed at many DE events.

I recently showed up to a DE event to learn a new car and was amazed to see the worst safety management that I had ever seen and plenty of boneheads getting in my way doing stupid things. I am simply not a DE fan as there are too many novice drivers or even fast drivers with something to prove.

Test days are generally more serious since they are during the week which cuts out a lot of the "problem children" right there and the majority of the drivers are very experienced.

The only downside is that you are 100% uninsured where with a DE you have a very slight chance of getting insurance coverage if you wreck.

BTW, a Radical running with sedans could certainly produce quite a mess as they stop and corner SOOO much faster. Now bump that up to a real Formula car and you would have real excitement!
Old 07-23-2007, 10:53 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Mooty, I certainly see your point. However, where I am, you can simply show up and go out for a track day (test & tune) and you are put out with like cars so sedans with sedans and formula with formula. A ton of fun without the silly rules imposed at many DE events.

I recently showed up to a DE event to learn a new car and was amazed to see the worst safety management that I had ever seen and plenty of boneheads getting in my way doing stupid things. I am simply not a DE fan as there are too many novice drivers or even fast drivers with something to prove.

Test days are generally more serious since they are during the week which cuts out a lot of the "problem children" right there and the majority of the drivers are very experienced.

The only downside is that you are 100% uninsured where with a DE you have a very slight chance of getting insurance coverage if you wreck.

BTW, a Radical running with sedans could certainly produce quite a mess as they stop and corner SOOO much faster. Now bump that up to a real Formula car and you would have real excitement!
you are lucky to do all these test and tune days.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:43 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'll look for you in October. That will be a great event. Good time of the year.

By the way, the event you are referring to wouldn't happen to be the event that was March 3-4???
Yes, it was March 3/4.

Peter
Old 07-23-2007, 01:03 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

The GT3 can mask lack of skill only if the other cars on the track are by definition slower. If your run group has 5 other GT3s and once in a while you get to drive with race prepared Z06s driven by competent drivers you quickly discover the areas of deficiency in your driving.

And you don't have to discount cars with less horsepower, too. After passing many of them you can see if your driving is up to par. If they stay with you or catch you in the corners you know you only passed them due to your fancy car.

I also think sometimes that it would be fun to drive a more "disposable" car. And someday I may do that but only as an addition to the GT3. The car is too special to let go.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 85Gold
Yes, it was March 3/4.

Peter
Peter, that is interesting that you say it was the March event. I happen to have been one of those instructors in a GT3 on street tires and can tell you that the your timing device is a bit off. One of my friends was your instructor--Chris in the black 993 C4S (I am assuming you are referring to the Red M3 and if I recall there was an exhaust melting isuue of the rear bumper....just want to make sure we are thinking of the same car).

Just to let you know that you might have some timing issues if you were timing me at any point (I was the yellow GT3 parked next to your instructor. I can tell you that my lap times were consistently 1:52-1:54 with the ocassional 1:50-1:51 but never broke that 1:50 mark. This is from my video and data aquisistion. So, I'd be curious as to whom you are referring to since Marty (the CDI) and I were the only 2 GT3's there that were driven by instructors.

The M3 is nicely setup. I remember you (and your co-driver) showing all the mods the car has. Very nice track setup--impressive. With the mods done to the car and the weight (sub 3000#) you should have no problem hangin with the stock GT3's. The other instructor with a GT3 (yellow as well) was our CDI and just got the car so I am not sure if that is whom you are referring to also.

Anyway, we'll see you in October. Should be a great event. Weather is perfect that time of the year down in Kershaw.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:47 PM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Peter, that is interesting that you say it was the March event. I happen to have been one of those instructors in a GT3 on street tires and can tell you that the your timing device is a bit off. One of my friends was your instructor--Chris in the black 993 C4S (I am assuming you are referring to the Red M3 and if I recall there was an exhaust melting isuue of the rear bumper....just want to make sure we are thinking of the same car).

Just to let you know that you might have some timing issues if you were timing me at any point (I was the yellow GT3 parked next to your instructor. I can tell you that my lap times were consistently 1:52-1:54 with the ocassional 1:50-1:51 but never broke that 1:50 mark. This is from my video and data aquisistion. So, I'd be curious as to whom you are referring to since Marty (the CDI) and I were the only 2 GT3's there that were driven by instructors.

The M3 is nicely setup. I remember you (and your co-driver) showing all the mods the car has. Very nice track setup--impressive. With the mods done to the car and the weight (sub 3000#) you should have no problem hangin with the stock GT3's. The other instructor with a GT3 (yellow as well) was our CDI and just got the car so I am not sure if that is whom you are referring to also.

Anyway, we'll see you in October. Should be a great event. Weather is perfect that time of the year down in Kershaw.

I said it was by stop watch, and It was only during one run in the afternoon. As you can't see all the track, traffic could also interfere with my timing. Data acquisition and Video is even better as it shows clean lap times. Yes, Chris was my instructor, and in the run group where I attempted timing he was running with you for a couple of laps until a car got between you.

I don't know if PCA allows instructors to drive students/Solo drivers cars to show the line You are wellcome to show me the line in Oct in the M3. The melting rear diffuser was a result of Adam going off in turn 3, thank goodness no wall.

I will also be @ RR Aug 11/12 with Seat Time if you want to come play.

Peter
Old 07-23-2007, 02:24 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
And you don't have to discount cars with less horsepower, too. After passing many of them you can see if your driving is up to par. If they stay with you or catch you in the corners you know you only passed them due to your fancy car.

Maybe we do get some respect once in a while
Old 07-23-2007, 03:45 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 85Gold
I said it was by stop watch, and It was only during one run in the afternoon. As you can't see all the track, traffic could also interfere with my timing. Data acquisition and Video is even better as it shows clean lap times. Yes, Chris was my instructor, and in the run group where I attempted timing he was running with you for a couple of laps until a car got between you.

I don't know if PCA allows instructors to drive students/Solo drivers cars to show the line You are wellcome to show me the line in Oct in the M3. The melting rear diffuser was a result of Adam going off in turn 3, thank goodness no wall.

I will also be @ RR Aug 11/12 with Seat Time if you want to come play.

Peter
LOL!!!! Now I remember the exhaust melt. The car was coverred in dust when it came back in. I hear ya.....thank goodness it was just a quick bit of landscaping

If we can work it in, I'd be happy to head out for a session with you or you with me.

When Chris and I run together, as you can imagine on the straights, I have to pull back a bit. But in the technical parts of the track he is just as fast. It's so much more fun to run with your friends even if you have to pull back on the straights b/c of the hp difference.

See you in Oct. Swing by and look me up. We'll be in the same place.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:18 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Dell,

I know what you mean; I looked at a 1995 BMW M3 yesterday. Getting the M3 for track use would make me consider getting a 996 Turbo as the GT3 somehow becomes redundant.

Ciao,

Johannes

Quick Reply: Those that track their GT3, do you ever think about tracking something cheaper???