Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Those that track their GT3, do you ever think about tracking something cheaper???

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:36 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Having been at DEs on Saturday and today, I can attest that the GT3 is truly an amazing car. I am definitely a horsepower crack-head. My only issue now is that the Cup Cars are starting to look very interesting... I had the chance to drive Thusley's (Fred) white with red 996 GT3 RS (US conversion) today, and it was truly amazing. My NEW decision is to either 1) upgrade the street GT3 into a track car with all the bells and whistles (motons, lwfw, RS suspension, exhaust, monoballs, etc.), or 2) buy a 996 Cup.

Damn, this is getting more and more difficult!

-B )
You ain't kidding!!!

It would be cheaper to just get a cup right now than go through all the modding you will do to the 6GT3 and then down the road get a cup. I will not (99% sure) ever go down the road of the cup so the decision is easy.

Originally Posted by DavidNR
This has been an interesting read. Sure has been an common internal debate with many.

But Dell your above quote just sums it all up for me. I'm right with you, just as guilty. And with the same ear to ear **** eatin' grin...

All that other stuff is too complicated for me. Once I get behind the wheel on the track it all goes away.
Sums it up 100% perfectly.

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Then DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT drive a 997TT

Def keep the GT3 it's one of the best Porsche road cars ever built. Maybe consider taking a step back from the track for a while and enjoy the car everyday. Once you have young kids it can be very difficult to get away for an entire track weekend. When I was still tracking regularly I found the single day events a lot easier on everyone. Watch out for my old buddy RJ, I see his car is quite the track beast now.
A buddy here in Raleigh had one and yes that sucker is ***** OUT FAST!!! And if I was going to get a DD that saw light track duty (less than 3 or 4 times a yes) then that would be a great choice. Randy finally made the jump to real tires and a proper alignment just this month We'll see if he can handle all that compliance

Originally Posted by 993inNC
Oh no you di'int Come run with us one of these days down at Roebling, and I'll show ya what an *** whoopin' feels like That car will do 150 down the front strait easy and brake just like the GT3.
The dark side for me these days is in the form of my garage-mahal and an addition to the house next year to accommodate the newest fam fam addition.
Oh, yes I did

RR is a haul for me. One of these days I'll head down but not anytime soon. You want some of this? You'll have to get me at CMP or VIR
Old 07-24-2007, 10:17 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
which lotus?
a stock exige/elise with track pack will corner flatter than stock GT3.
at least my exige was flatter than my GT3
He has an elise, but showed up with an exige S? I don't know what mods he has or doesn't have, I thought that comment was flattering about the car as I didn't expect him to say that.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:04 AM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Cup car. Go for it.
Cup cars are nice. Until you have to bring it to your mechanic. Then you gotta tow it there and tow it back. If you can keep your trailer at home that is not a problem. But I am a city slicker and that is not going to happen.

I just brought my car to the mechanic for some stuff to be done. I then took the subway to work. Other than lack of air conditioning in the subway it works out perfectly.

So I will always try to make sure that any track toy I have will have a license plate. Makes life that much easier.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:28 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Dell,

See you in Oct. I will surely stop by and say high . I don't know if Adam is coming, he is solo, so it will depend on that whether I run instructed or request a solo sign off. I would love to have session in a GT3, it might make me come over to the dark side with mine. I know if I did track the GT3 it would wind up with Motons and various other suspension bits.$$$

Peter
Old 07-24-2007, 11:31 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Oh Peter. Come on over to the dark side, there is plenty of room. I have to admire you that you have the 6GT3 and have been able to restrain yourself from venturing out on the track. Enough's enough, get that sucker to the track!

See you in October!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:58 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
Cup cars are nice. Until you have to bring it to your mechanic. Then you gotta tow it there and tow it back. If you can keep your trailer at home that is not a problem. But I am a city slicker and that is not going to happen.
Agreed, but I will be keep the car at the track in a paddock garage year round. My garage will be located about 100 feet from the Synergy Racing Garage, so the "commute" will be fairly easy for a car not registered!

HeHe! I hear a Cup car in my future, though may hold out for another 12-18 months...

-B
Old 07-25-2007, 12:28 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Gasman
Then DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT drive a 997TT

Watch out for my old buddy RJ, I see his car is quite the track beast now.
TURBO TIME! DJ, you better have a fresh 100 Club sticker for that Rocketship.

RE my car... oh my... what a transformation. I was lucky to get the darn thing up the driveway without ripping anything apart.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:32 AM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Randy finally made the jump to real tires and a proper alignment just this month We'll see if he can handle all that compliance
I gots me a chain link wheels to go with me low rider... YO!

RR is a haul for me. One of these days I'll head down but not anytime soon. You want some of this? You'll have to get me at CMP or VIR
Old 07-25-2007, 02:52 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've considered a 2005 Lotus Elise for under $30k, which is about half the price of my 996 GT3.

I'm also considering the cheaper 2006 Viper SRT-10 Coupe. The guys running them in SCCA Club Racing are using one set of rotors per season.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:05 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,762 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
I've considered a 2005 Lotus Elise for under $30k, which is about half the price of my 996 GT3.

I'm also considering the cheaper 2006 Viper SRT-10 Coupe. The guys running them in SCCA Club Racing are using one set of rotors per season.
your GT3 is only $60k? where do i sent my chk? i will have it trailer'd to CA first thing in the morning.

wow, viper only needs on set of rotor per season? why? i thought the car is as hvy as GT3?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:12 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
your GT3 is only $60k? where do i sent my chk? i will have it trailer'd to CA first thing in the morning.

wow, viper only needs on set of rotor per season? why? i thought the car is as hvy as GT3?
Mooty, you don't need to tow it there, it will be there in a few weeks.

The SRT-10 Coupe Viper is just 150 lbs heavier than your RS, and a quick wheels/exhaust/seats upgrade will bring it down to RS weight levels. Motons make it a good $65k toy, in my opinion more refined than a C6 Z06 and cheaper.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Dell very entertaining thread. As a father of two young (12 & 9) ladies who desperately want me to get my 3 so they can start tracking my boxster i find myself chuckling. It seems to me you should get the cup so your offspring can drive the 3, natural selection at its best. For what its worth the apparent joy (other post) you get from your 3 is more than than the $$ it would cost if it was balled up (no fault). What does that mastercard advert say, GT3 $100,000.00 the feeling of passing your mates priceless...........
Old 07-27-2007, 01:01 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,039 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian20
As a father of two young (12 & 9) ladies who desperately want me to get my 3 so they can start tracking my boxster i find myself chuckling. It seems to me you should get the cup so your offspring can drive the 3, natural selection at its best.
Luke, come over to the dark side and get the 3. We can rule the world together
Old 07-27-2007, 01:20 AM
P.J.S.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So i got my new to me 3 about a month ago and did my very first track day (with professional instruction) a couple of days ago... I have re-upped for all day lapping (30 mins on 30 mins off - 2 groups) in late August.

I do not see myself stopping unless I wad this car... in which case I will cry and pray for the winning ticket

How much are you all paying for track insurance? and what kind of deductibles?
is the snelling place mentioned previously in this thread the only option?

I knew the price of entry for this car was high (well high to me with a kid on the way and a wife losing patience with my car problem/hobby) but I also like the toughness and reliability of the car -- drive to the track, lap all day, and drive home. I was planning on routine maint. and wear items...

for some reason it never dawned on me that I would actually damage it because if I had thought of that... I probably would have talked myself out of buying it...

So any pointers other than snelling for track insurance...

(I had one "off track" incident -- in the words of the instructor "build the skill set then add speed... which you were doing until just this moment... try not to get too excited"
Easy for him to say he has not been waiting and saving for years for his very own GT3 and open track in front of him... my right foot took over and I was bitch slapped by the 3 coming out of turn 3b at Pacific Raceways)

anyway -- track insurance -- what do you know besides snelling -- as I am not selling this car until I am homeless
Old 08-26-2007, 05:13 PM
frayed
Race Car

I decided not to track my GT3. With lack of insurance coverage these days, I'm not keen on risking 120k car on track. . . which affects the way I drive it and general stress levels when tracking my car.

A dedicated track car that gets trailered allows you to go cheaper on the car, with appropriate safety gear (seats, bar, harnesses), all the go fast track stuff (brake pads, heim joints, Motons, stiff bushings, etc). Consumables are less, I pay $400 for a set of Toyo takeoffs. And if I ball it up I'd be pissed but I'd swap all the good parts to a new donor chassis.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Those that track their GT3, do you ever think about tracking something cheaper???