Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you let people drive your GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:32 PM
charlesml3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you let people drive your GT3?

This is a blatant ripoff of a thread going on the 997 forum right now. I have no shame...

Anyway, do you let people drive your GT3?

I pretty much do. I was at a group meet several years ago and and a guy there had a pretty fast car. I don't think anyone asked to drive it, but he came right out with some crap like "I don't let anyone drive my car. It's just something I decided and that's how it is." I suppose I understand that but then another guy had a nice Turbo there and he was more than happy to let other people drive it. He even offered. I was so impressed that I asked him about that and he said "Well, I get a huge thrill out of driving this and I want most everyone to see why I like it so much." I've pretty much adopted his philosophy.

I won't let any yahoo off the street drive my GT3, but if I know them and I know they're not going to be stupid about it, then sure.

-Charles
Old 06-28-2007, 05:07 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by charlesml3
"Well, I get a huge thrill out of driving this and I want most everyone to see why I like it so much."
Great philosophy! It's the only way people are going to understand what's so special about these cars.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:38 PM
On Pole
Racer

I let a long time fellow instructor of 14 years drive my car at the track just so I could share the experience with him. I used to let my friends drive it on the street, but not anymore. After seeing the car in the link, I will be the one that wrecks my car.

http://www.teckademicseast.com/forum...ad.php?t=30901
Old 06-28-2007, 05:43 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I have let many people have track time in my previous P-cars -- 914, 944 and '84 911

IMO, the GT3 is too fast to let non-experienced track people drive it on the track. You can get it going too fast too quickly, and too easily. and then ... BANG

So I'm not as willing now.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by charlesml3
Anyway, do you let people drive your GT3?
Yes....but I always feel like a donkey for doing so.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:07 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by fhp911
IMO, the GT3 is too fast to let non-experienced track people drive it on the track. You can get it going too fast too quickly, and too easily. and then ... BANG
Word!

I would fall into that category, the good part is that the GT3 is my own!

Question is more, should I let myself drive the car...

Seriously, I used to let people drive my cars (even my 550hp M3) but the GT3 has completely changed my point of view. It's a car that demands a lot of respect and you should not let inexperienced drivers try it's powers.
I don't have a problem with my gf driving the car, because I know she would never drive it "fast". I also don't have a problem with letting experienced instructors drive the car around the track for 1 or 2 laps, given they know how to handle Porsches.
But I think I will never let my friends drive my GT3 at full power....
Old 06-28-2007, 06:44 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

i dont let ppl drive my cars unless:
he is driving at 20mph.
he's a much better driver than i and realizes that he is driving SOMEONE else's car and take it at 7/10 and if he should lose it.... well, dont fix it, buy me a brand new one.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:45 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Word!Question is more, should I let myself drive the car...
hehehe.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:05 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Just me and my wife (and yes she tracks it as well ). Other than that, I have only let one other person drive the car and that was about 1 mile.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 AM
Camber
Rennlist Member

Nope, not other than two people I'll let drive my car. One has been my friend and driver's coach for three years. The other is a friend, ALMS competitor, and far better driver than I, and even in his case, I expect and get 9/10's driving.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:05 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost never. I have a couple of people that are allowed to drive my cars and that is it. The "select group" consists of friends that own similar cars and are very experienced with them. Then there is the most significant consideration, they are all able to afford to write a check if they wreck it and understand that when they are behind the wheel, they accept ALL liability for damage and failure, expecially if it is on the track.

So don't hand those keys over to just anyone!

Think about this, my wife you is an experienced door to door racer and VERY good (and fast) driver managed to put my GT3 3 wheels off on her first lap with the car. If that had been an inexperienced driver behind the wheel, it would have looked like the car in the link above, not just slightly dusty.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:59 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

On the track absolutely not. On the street, sure as long as they know it isn't an audition for the Fast and the furious.

Last edited by Rob in VA; 06-29-2007 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:06 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Will never let anyone drive my car on the track unless he is some kind of instructor with lots of experience driving Porsche. Doesn't have to be race car driver but someone with lots of knowledge and experience will do. On a street, short trips, I let some of my buddies drive it carefully.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:26 PM
LA964RS
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A select few that I know can drive and who can afford to buy it if the wad it up!
Old 06-29-2007, 01:30 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

The first thing that came to mind when I read the question was the incident that happened at an autocross a few months ago where a very experienced SCCA autocrosser that normally drives a C4 Corvette, borrowed a 996 GT3 from a friend and ended up putting the car into the paddock, totaling the GT3 and wrecking 4 others. Y'all remember that one, long threads on it.

My wife hasn't asked me to drive the GT3 (says she's scared of it), my brother hasn't asked me nor any of the friends or family. The only person I've let drive it is a fellow instructor and Grand Am pro driver (yes, VJ) that was teaching me some technique in the car.

A student I've had in the past that moved from a 996 GT3 to a 997 GT3 has always offered me his car at tracks like Phoenix International, Las Vegas, Buttonwillow and Willow Springs. I'm very appreciative of his generosity and I NEVER drive it more than 7/10's because I know I can't afford to wad it up.

Quick Reply: Do you let people drive your GT3?