Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Toe Link: Tarett & TRG: which one, and labor cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:26 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear Toe Link: Tarett & TRG: which one, and labor cost?

Guys,

I am looking to add either the TRG or the Tarett Engineering rear toe link to my GT3. I have three questions:
1) Is their any difference between the TRG and the Tarett solutions?
I really like that both are reverse threaded. My car is not lowered, so I don't anticipate the bump steer issue.
2) How much did you pay for labor for the install?
Ballpark numbers would be great!
3) How long does the install take?
I want to be sure that my locla shop is within the limits....

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 06-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Rob in VA
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought and installed the tarett links with the locking kit. With a friend, it took all of 1 hour to do the install. Then the next day the car went to the alignment shop. Easy!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:36 PM
datax
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What does the toe links do? I thought it is not necessary unless you have aftermarket suspension. Can anyone fill me in on this? I'm a total GT3 noob. Thanks!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by datax
What does the toe links do? I thought it is not necessary unless you have aftermarket suspension. Can anyone fill me in on this? I'm a total GT3 noob. Thanks!
without toe linx, the eccentric adj in the back tends to loosen up leading to toe changes. and when you get toe out on a 911 during a hard turn.... you better pray fast.

cheap insurance. if you track the car, get it.

though i dont know if motorsport, TRG or tarret make the best kit. i am sure NJGT knows the in and out of it.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Analog Theory
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
Guys,

I am looking to add either the TRG or the Tarett Engineering rear toe link to my GT3. I have three questions:
1) Is their any difference between the TRG and the Tarett solutions?
I really like that both are reverse threaded. My car is not lowered, so I don't anticipate the bump steer issue.
2) How much did you pay for labor for the install?
Ballpark numbers would be great!
3) How long does the install take?
I want to be sure that my locla shop is within the limits....

Thanks,
-Blake
Ira at Tarrett is a good friend of ours and we install a ton of his products. Great guy to deal with and the quality and precision of his components is absolutely top notch.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:49 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.

I spoke to Ira yesterday - great guy. I am also a huge fan of Austin at TRG. Now I have a tough decision! (hence the post)

For me, the choice is between the Tarett and TRG becuase of the locking plates and the reverse threads. I understand (through "search") that the cup/motorsports solution does not have reverse threads, so making any alignment changes is a hassel. Another consideration is lowering the car. I understand that the cup/motorsports solution will accomodate this, but the Tarett and TRG solutions suffer from bump steer when the ride height has been altered. As I will not be lowering the car, I think I should be okay with either the Tarett or TRG solutions...

Mooty put it very well. The last thing I want to do at speed in a long sweeper is lose my rear alignment. At that point, the "twitchiness" which so many people cite in the GT3 will return in force... To address Datax question more directly, the stock threads on the rear bolts tend to strip under excessive loads... In short, this upgrade fixes those problems by spreading out the force more evenly, and adding a locking plate to hold the settings (at least that is my Physics 101 interpretation)...

-B

Thanks,
-Blake
Old 06-22-2007, 02:50 PM
calicoupe
Advanced

Based on the post,

if you keep stock height, go with TRG or Tarrett

if you might lower one day, go with motorsport

is this correct? thanks
Old 06-22-2007, 03:08 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

To the best of my knowledge, yes, that is correct...

-B
Old 06-22-2007, 04:30 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I went with the TRG toe arms. Haven't had any "oh ****" moments with them in. Those are one of those parts that if you never "feel" them they must be doing their job. I went with TRG b/c I have done alot of business with Austin and he has always gone the extra mile with me. Not to mention, even when he is slammed he still takes the time to just chat when I call. However, you can't go wrong either way.

I had Synergy install mine (when Greg was still there) and he said he preferred the TRG for the simplicity of it. Toe changes are made QUICKLY with the "turnbuckle" since it is threaded at both end instead of just one end like the Motorsport one.
Old 06-22-2007, 05:20 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Dell - does the TRG set come with a locking plate? I really like the idea of that...

Thanks,
-B
Old 06-22-2007, 05:27 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

No, you'd have to order it from Tarett. I haven't as of yet but on my list. Damn that list keeps growing.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I have had Tarett parts on several cars, they are excellent. Manufacturing suspension parts for Porsches is all they do at Tarett - it's not just a side business for them. Call them up and Ira (the owner of Tarett) will take care of you personally.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:46 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
No, you'd have to order it from Tarett. I haven't as of yet but on my list. Damn that list keeps growing.
i don't think you really need it, though i do it have it on my car. you can just set the eccentric "verticle". in this position it should hold strong.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:28 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Funny u should say my toe on the rear would stay the same but my toe in front would move to negative toe. Regards. Mike
Old 06-23-2007, 08:31 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm using the TRG rear toe links and "hard" engine mounts and have not experienced any of the infamous GT3 rear end "twithiness"
Both highly recommended

Quick Reply: Rear Toe Link: Tarett & TRG: which one, and labor cost?