Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Toe Link: Tarett & TRG: which one, and labor cost?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oak
give mike at AWE a call if looking for erp parts. personally I have sourced some erp and some tarett components. depending on which parts in particular. Mike has provided all the hard to get parts for me from ERP with great service and pricing. give him a shout at mike@awe-tuning.com
Thanks Oak

Wil email him tomorrow about it
Old 06-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I think you will be pleasantly surprised! I was.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oak
I hope i will

ERP has the toe link i want, iave email 4 diffrent companys without luck, i hope i now have found the way to ERP parts
Old 06-24-2007, 08:58 PM
Oak
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

yeah, I think you need to know the secret handshake or something.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:39 AM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't get any answer to the following question ...

when you get toe out on a 911 during a hard turn.... you better pray fast.

"How do you feel that it was a change of geometry (toe out ) and not a "normal" start of a spin ?

I am asking this because , tracking at least on a monthly basis, and this last 12 months perhaps 14 days, I have done 2 alignments of my car and everything was under reasonable limits when measured. I - occasionally - spin, but It happens in a predictable ( ) way. ( Not so predictable if it ends as a spin...)."

I am wondering if:

1.- We all know the answer. The answer is so obvious that why bother answering ...
2. Obviously the guy that is asking this question has no clue of what driving is
3.- It`s out of topic
4.- We want to buy the toe links even if I don't need them..
Old 06-25-2007, 09:12 AM
mnorek
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boqueron
Didn't get any answer to the following question ...

when you get toe out on a 911 during a hard turn.... you better pray fast.

"How do you feel that it was a change of geometry (toe out ) and not a "normal" start of a spin ?

I am asking this because , tracking at least on a monthly basis, and this last 12 months perhaps 14 days, I have done 2 alignments of my car and everything was under reasonable limits when measured. I - occasionally - spin, but It happens in a predictable ( ) way. ( Not so predictable if it ends as a spin...)."

I am wondering if:

1.- We all know the answer. The answer is so obvious that why bother answering ...
2. Obviously the guy that is asking this question has no clue of what driving is
3.- It`s out of topic
4.- We want to buy the toe links even if I don't need them..
boqueron,

I have done my share of spinning while learning (and still occasionally let one sneak in), however, I am neither a pro racer nor do I claim one's skill level, so consider the source.

That said, in my so-qualified opinion, the difference between a "normal" spin and one contributed to by hardware is that the car does something funny in previous laps and right before the spin that you can reasonably conclude causes it. In the end, the driver always "causes" the spin but bad hardware helps that happen.

When I first got my GT3, I could tell that rear geometry did weird things under heavy cornering load even right after an alignment, and even on highway on/off ramps taken agressively. For example, under heavy cornering--and it was slightly more pronounced under load/power--the rear of the car did things (slight but perceivable changes in both yaw and pitch) that were unsettling to the car and very unsettling to my confidence in the car.

I had the following installed and have not had that feeling again, although I have spun once so far because of driver error: ERP upper links, ERP toe links, ERP control arm pucks and WEVO motor mounts.

I hope that helps and hopefully some more knowledgeable hardware people will chime in for you.

Michael
Old 06-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oak
I have emailed now, soon we will know.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 363 Posts

Just had my car inspected at the dealer, and discussed this issue with the alignment guru at the dealer (this guy has a great reputation in town not only with Porsche but other marques also). He mentioned that after market toe links might be a good idea once I graduated away from strict street tires. I don't know enough about mechanical issues to recall and properly explain the rationale, but thought I'd pass this along for what it's worth.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:59 PM
boqueron
Pro

Thanks Michael !
Old 06-25-2007, 09:49 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,766 Likes on 2,363 Posts

a spin usually is caused by entering too fast, fed throttle too fast too abrupt, pinched turn, lifted, oil, coolant, brain fart... you should also learn to feel what a "normal" GT3 feel like when driven on track. when you have toe out, the car tend to swap ends, rear is twitchy for no apparent reason and hard to control, every turn becomes struggle.... then chk toe setting.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:16 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Boqueron,

I just count my spins before and after the toe links were installed. I used to spin (read lose control) at every autoX 2-3 times per event, and once in a while at track days.

I did notice a drastic change when I installed the Cup toe links. The version I installed do have reverse threads, and they adjust as easy as the TRG or Tarret versions.

Not only I don't lose the tail at AutoX anymore, I do get to tail out and keep a drift angle never seen before in my car, something wild and fun. I can hit the gas deeper out of turns, some guys say "I wish I could get away doing that".

Try them, you will have a hard time going back.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:54 AM
amerlemans
Rennlist Member

I have a set of rear toe links for sale. I purchased them from TPC Racing in Jessup, MD (the owner of the shop, Mike Levitas, is a GT3 Cup racer). I paid $600 for them about 2 months ago but am selling my 996TT and took these off recently to try and part out some of the parts. These links have less than 1,500 miles on them. Asking $300 for a quick sale.

Last edited by amerlemans; 11-27-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:46 PM
boqueron
Pro

NJ-GT,

THanks ! You have given THE best answer...for my ego !

It's not that I am insensitive, it's difficult to know at the limit when your spin was solely due to toe geometry change...

I will try them and see if it gives me - even more - confidence at the limit !.. ( I am spining more than I would like lately...)
Old 06-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by amerlemans
I have a set of rear toe links for sale. I purchased them from TPC Racing in Jessup, MD (the owner of the shop, Mike Levitas, is a GT3 Cup racer). I paid $600 for them about 2 months ago but am selling my 996TT and took these off recently to try and part out some of the parts. These links have less than 1,500 miles on them. Asking $300 for a quick sale.
I'll take them! Sen you a pm!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow up - just committed to buying the TRG toe links from Austin this morning... I hope to have these installed next week for my next track event... After Austin answered my question of "what else can I add", I am looking into the following:
*shims - 4deg and 8deg - for rear wing (bought today as well)
*monoballs for the rear with hats
*Cup splitter up front
*new safety features - Euro seats, cage, harness, HANS device, etc.

BTW - I just sent in my deposit for a garage at Miller Motorsports Park. very excited! It can store two PCars side by side and has cable, internet, heating, compressed air, etc. Now I need to build that out with a lift & other fun stuff!

-B

Ah, this is getting fun!

-B

Quick Reply: Rear Toe Link: Tarett & TRG: which one, and labor cost?