Sponsored by:

Service Contract Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:59 AM
gt3_002
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Service Contract Extended Warranty

I just came back from Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena, CA and asked about a service contract extended warranty for my 04 GT3. I was told that they have many programs ex. 5 yr 60K miles or 5 yr 75K miles and even 5yr 100K miles and as you know all varied in price. However, Easy Care is the company that would provide the coverage and not PCA. In fact PCA does not have any extended warranty programs after the the original 4 yrs 50K miles and any extended coverage would be by a 3rd party company.

Do you all concur? The package I planned to purchase is the 5yr 60K which was offered to me at $3200. Is this true about the 3rd party coverage and do any one know where else I can buy this coverage cheaper?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:13 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I can't comment on aftermarket coverage other than be VERY careful whom you select. I have seen countless threads about guys having coverage and then POOF! the company goes belly up and they are out the $$$ the spent. There are some reputable companies but you really need to research it.

As for PCNA offering an "extended warranty" they do! 2 reasons you might have been told what you were. (1) They make a TON of kickback money on selling aftermarket policies; or (2) They figured since you own the car right now, technically the extended warranty they offer doesn't apply to you, hence the reason they told you there was not one.

Dealers can "certify" a pre-owned Porsche on thier lot and the cost is roughly $1500 to do so and it adds 2yrs after the initial 4 yr and 100K total miles. However, this CANNOT be done to a car already owned by yourself.....rather only a car they sell.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:43 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

I recently went through a similar search for an extended warranty. I did not find any companies not affiliated with a dealer selling ext warr in CA. It appears a fairly recent state law makes it an unattractive market for them. I assume it's consumer friendly legislation that did it.

The only coverage I found was through my local Porsche dealers. The three offered coverage from 3 different companies. However, turns out, two of the companies would not cover a GT3 (nor a GT2), so that left me with one.

I paid $3100 for 48,000 mile (total mileage, not additional) and 4 years from time of coverage. The one requirement of all three that I looked at was that I have 7 months remaining on my factory warranty, which I did.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:21 PM
gt3_002
Rennlist Member

Joe, what company was that whom covered you? Easy Care?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:24 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 95 Posts

No, Carefree. The dealer originally wrote it with SGI Services. They had better coverage relative to the term. I think it was to 60-75000 miles, but they came back and said they wouldn't do a GT3.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:51 PM
gt3_002
Rennlist Member

I just came back from Walters Porsche in Riverside,CA. Thye offered me a extended warranty for 4yrs 60K $2695 since I just bought a Benz from them. They were use Zurich insurance whom covers the dealership. Anybody else has this and use them to do any repairs in the past?
Old 04-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Extended warranties are certainly a gamble so you have to do your research and be careful. It is also true that most will not cover a GT3. I have been fairly lucky so far and have had one that went out of business just after I got rid of the car and another that appears to be having issues but just got them to pay a $3000 claim on a contract that I paid $1500 for so I am happy.

Here are some pointers that are VERY important:

1. Make sure they will pay a servicer directly with a credit card.
2. Make sure that you have ALL service records of oil changes and ALL other required fluid changes and service as they love to use this to cancle coverage when a serious claim comes along.
3. I full inspection from a dealer at the time of contract purchase is also a good idea provided that it notes all fluids have been changed and look perfect and that the car is mechanically excellent.
4. Check into any stupid policies involving hihg dollar claims.

About the only comment that I have on buying one for the GT3 is that it really seems like a gamble. Most of the stuff that will go wrong that would actually be covered is under $3K. Stuff like climate control, intruments, or other electronics and maybe a main seal leak. Most major items are bullet proof. The GT3 is one of the few cars that doesn't scare me too much out of warranty and several factory service techs that I know will support that comment. I will also say that several factory service techs said the same about my truck which just had its tranny crap out at 18K miles so thank goodness for the service contract or I would have paid $3300 instead of $300. So as I siad, it will be a gamble!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:03 PM
gt3_002
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Blacksport350
Extended warranties are certainly a gamble so you have to do your research and be careful. It is also true that most will not cover a GT3. I have been fairly lucky so far and have had one that went out of business just after I got rid of the car and another that appears to be having issues but just got them to pay a $3000 claim on a contract that I paid $1500 for so I am happy.

Here are some pointers that are VERY important:

1. Make sure they will pay a servicer directly with a credit card.
2. Make sure that you have ALL service records of oil changes and ALL other required fluid changes and service as they love to use this to cancle coverage when a serious claim comes along.
3. I full inspection from a dealer at the time of contract purchase is also a good idea provided that it notes all fluids have been changed and look perfect and that the car is mechanically excellent.
4. Check into any stupid policies involving hihg dollar claims.

About the only comment that I have on buying one for the GT3 is that it really seems like a gamble. Most of the stuff that will go wrong that would actually be covered is under $3K. Stuff like climate control, intruments, or other electronics and maybe a main seal leak. Most major items are bullet proof. The GT3 is one of the few cars that doesn't scare me too much out of warranty and several factory service techs that I know will support that comment. I will also say that several factory service techs said the same about my truck which just had its tranny crap out at 18K miles so thank goodness for the service contract or I would have paid $3300 instead of $300. So as I siad, it will be a gamble!
I will keep that in mind, with what you said above I think it's better off not buying a Service Contract since all high dollar repairs would equate to one service contract. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2007, 11:55 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3_002
I just came back from Walters Porsche in Riverside,CA. Thye offered me a extended warranty for 4yrs 60K $2695 since I just bought a Benz from them. They were use Zurich insurance whom covers the dealership. Anybody else has this and use them to do any repairs in the past?
What's the deductable? Is it bumper to bumper?
Old 04-18-2007, 02:36 AM
gt3_002
Rennlist Member

$100 deductable, bumper to bumper per finace manager.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gt3_002
I just came back from Rusnak Porsche in Pasadena, CA and asked about a service contract extended warranty for my 04 GT3. I was told that they have many programs ex. 5 yr 60K miles or 5 yr 75K miles and even 5yr 100K miles and as you know all varied in price. However, Easy Care is the company that would provide the coverage and not PCA. In fact PCA does not have any extended warranty programs after the the original 4 yrs 50K miles and any extended coverage would be by a 3rd party company.

Do you all concur? The package I planned to purchase is the 5yr 60K which was offered to me at $3200. Is this true about the 3rd party coverage and do any one know where else I can buy this coverage cheaper?

A few months ago, I was quoted approx $3000 for a 5 year 75 k for my 03 GT2
from Rusnak in Pasadena... I have not decided as yet, but based on previous post, Easy Care sounds like the way to go.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:08 PM
every day
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy Care is currently being sold by Ford Motor Co to a private equity group. I don't know whether that is a good or bad thing.

Zurich (sold at Walter's) is a HUGE company and is probably one of the safest bets out there.

www.zurichna.com

Here's an article about Easy Care:

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. said today that it will sell its Automobile Protection Corp. unit to Trident IV LP, a private-equity firm managed by Stone Point Capital LLC.

The deal is expected to close in the second quarter of this year. Terms were not disclosed.

Automobile Protection, which was purchased by Ford in 1999, offers vehicle service contracts and related aftermarket products to dealers of all makes and models.

Ford is selling Automobile Protection as part of the company's restructuring plan, unveiled last October, Ford spokesman Tom Hoyt said.

"We're reviewing all aspects of our business. We think this is something that makes sense for us going forward," Hoyt said. "We're reducing costs wherever we can, and certainly the cash is something we look for as well."
Old 04-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by every day
Easy Care is currently being sold by Ford Motor Co to a private equity group. I don't know whether that is a good or bad thing.

Zurich (sold at Walter's) is a HUGE company and is probably one of the safest bets out there.

www.zurichna.com

Here's an article about Easy Care:

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. said today that it will sell its Automobile Protection Corp. unit to Trident IV LP, a private-equity firm managed by Stone Point Capital LLC.

The deal is expected to close in the second quarter of this year. Terms were not disclosed.

Automobile Protection, which was purchased by Ford in 1999, offers vehicle service contracts and related aftermarket products to dealers of all makes and models.

Ford is selling Automobile Protection as part of the company's restructuring plan, unveiled last October, Ford spokesman Tom Hoyt said.

"We're reviewing all aspects of our business. We think this is something that makes sense for us going forward," Hoyt said. "We're reducing costs wherever we can, and certainly the cash is something we look for as well."

Thank you!
Old 04-18-2007, 10:53 PM
por29
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

From our experience CNA seems to be a good after market warranty co. I don't know if they write the GT-3.

Bill Rudtner

www.rudtnersacing.com
Old 04-18-2007, 11:26 PM
every day
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, CNA is right up there with Zurich. Strong company with very good claims service.

Quick Reply: Service Contract Extended Warranty