Sponsored by:

Brake cooling duct question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake cooling duct question

I was briefly looking under the car before going to work yesterday to check if my Autometrics tow hooks from my 2003 996 will fit. I noticed the left front brake cooling duct was missing. Also when I turn the wheel hard over to the right there is a rubbing noise in the left front wheel well too. Without further investigation I'm thinking the previous owner broke off the duct on something and a piece of it may still be there rubbing.

The dealership says they will order a new one asap which is good. We are going to talk Monday. I am wondering though, are there really three brake cooling ducts available out there? A GT3 replacement duct, an RS duct and a Cup duct?

Are all three (assuming there are three) easy to install and has anyone done so WITH the autometrics tow hooks?

http://www.autometricsmotorsports.co...96tiedowns.jpg

In their photo it almost looks like a brake cooling duct is there by the shock mount bolts.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:50 PM
CT03911
Banned

Got my answer elsewhere and parts in the mail.
Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 PM
pgwilliams
Intermediate

Would you mind sharing the answer that you got elsewhere for the benefit of those of us who might face the same situation in the future?
Old 04-10-2007, 12:30 AM
CT03911
Banned

Sure, there was another post that was the same topic after mine and it got all kinds of answers!!! https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-gt3-forum/341638-gt3-cup-brake-ducts-vs-factory.html

Funny thing is, I'm now not sure what is going on between all the three ducts available.

All I do know is my car was missing a stock GT3 duct. Instead of replacing it with same I tried to find out what was better. I felt I had to do this quickly because I needed to get parts ordered and installed pronto- very little time off and track date looming.

I got in touch with my service guy today and asked about availability of GT3RS and Cup ducts. He told me he could get the RS ducts for ten bucs or so over stock ducts and he could have them in a day. They were buying one to replace the missing and I buy the other to upgrade. Seemed good to me, if it is good for an RS than it must be good for the straight GT3, right?

Now, reading the responses to above mentioned post seems there is still alot of confusion on the various sizes/performance gains/etc.

Whatever, my car gets RS ducts Wednesday. Two of those will work better than one OEM GT3 duct and one missing duct. If the RS ducts are in fact SMALLER then the OEM GT3 ducts (like the last poster to that topics suggests) I suspect the aero abilities are improved. All it takes is a small tweak on a curve to provide great flow benefits and hey, a smaller more efficient design is more better.

I will learn more on Wednesday and maybe by following that post as it unfolds.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:46 AM
zoomzoom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Differences between the ducts are small, medium and large. You can generally only order the Cup parts if you have a Cup chassis to quote, or you have a friendly Porsche parts guy
Old 04-11-2007, 11:53 PM
CT03911
Banned

Actually the differences are not so clear as small, medium and large. My RS ducts installed today were nothing more than stock GT3 ducts, with GT3 part numbers on them, slightly modified by Porsche by REDUCING their size.

Again, my RS ducts are smaller than the GT3 stock duct. The only thing I can figure is they actually direct the cool air to a different part of the rotor because they do not extend as far towards the rotor now. There is another duct thread with more information.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:40 AM
john0719
Racer

Sorry for the dumb questions but are brake cooling ducts needed only if you track the car? I have a set of ducts sitting in the trunk of my car beacsue the dealer never installed them saying that it saves the trouble of loosing them on the road.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:34 PM
CT03911
Banned

My car was missing one when I bought it and I never knew until looking under it. I would say you do not NEED them for around town based on my experiance, however limited.

I would think I would rather have them installed though, than sitting on a shelf because they can only help. Don't put them on if you ever take it to a car wash because I suspect you will leave there without at least one of them.

Both mine are on and the car wash will never be an issue here.

Quick Reply: Brake cooling duct question