Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which pads come on the '04 GT3? Yellow?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 05:57 PM
CT03911
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which pads come on the '04 GT3? Yellow?

Haven't searched disclaimer. i know there is weeks of brake info here somewhere. My very delinquent taxes call me more :-(

Can someone be kind enough to tell me what brand the yellow pads on my 04 GT3 are? You all do have yellow pads, right? Mine make dust like crazy even after an easy 150 miles of normal driving so I'm actually wondering if these are original pads at all. I do think the previous owner had the wheels off because when I had them off for a four wheel balance three of the four "GT3" marked center caps were broken. The five or six so plastic tabs that allow the cap to snap into the wheel's center hub were snapped off, some just one or two and others more.

Why would all the caps be broken if no one ever took them off? I know the caps come off without breaking of course but they wouldn't seem to break without taking them off, if you follow. So, I think the last owner had the wheels off (by a ham fisted tech) and I'm wondering if it was because he changed the pads.

What do you guys think? I think I should be doing my taxes...

Do not buy a GT3 the week before taxes are due.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They OE pads are yellow, but are not the Pagid "yellows" that are constantly touted on Renn.... I am not certain who the OEM is, however... Let me personally attest that the OE brake pads are NOT track strength!

-B
Old 04-12-2007, 06:29 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Correct. The yellow stock pads are not the RS19 yellow's that are a popular upgrade for the track.
But the stock pads are sourced by Pagid. Others may know more about where the stock Pagids fit in the Pagid product line.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:33 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Yes just to make it confusing you have the Porsche Yellow Pagids (pad formulation ONLY available from Porsche) along with the direct from Pagid RS19 Yellows or the RS29 Yellows. They must have gotten a discount on Yellow paint....
Old 04-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I believe Stock pads are P40 Pagids. Porsche also offers a P90 Pagid compound.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:06 PM
CT03911
Banned

Ok, thanks guys. I'm sure I must have the "OEM Porsche yellow Pagids", not the yellow Pagids you can put on Porsches. Previous owner never tracked it.

Still makes me wonder why the center caps all have multiple broken tabs and where I'm going to get replacements. Can't imagine it will be long until one or two come out on a bump somewhere.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Steve B in SD
Instructor

The stock pads have yellow backing plates, but I don't think that's any reference to Pagid Yellow.
The dust drove me crazy too, so I changed the pads to EBC Greens. I ordered them from AJ USA, they are pretty reasonably priced. These are street pads only, they stop fine for 'high performance' street driving, but are certainly not intended for track use. They put out about 1/4 the dust of the stock pads, which is tolerable.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:18 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Michael B.
I believe Stock pads are P40 Pagids. Porsche also offers a P90 Pagid compound.
Hmmm, I had P90s as the OEM pads on my GT3... maybe the other way around? I think the P40s are black, but are not the same as the black RS14s.

The P90s are yellow (not the same yellow if compared side by side), and "Pagid" is marked on a spot on the pads that is visible. To tell for sure you have to take them out and see what it is marked in the center of the backing plate (hidden by the calipers when they are in). The stock P90s also have some cylindrical vibration dampeners on the end corners of the pads, which the RS19s do not have. That may actually be a way to tell without taking the pads out.

CT03911, I don't see why there would be any need to take the center caps off just to change brake pads. For that matter, just taking off the wheel and putting it back on shouldn't involve the center caps in any way.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:07 AM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The OE "yellow" are refered to by porsche as "comfort pads". They were specified to comply with DOT requirements of being able to stop the car with a minimum of some speciific brake pedal force, low enough that a severly challanged person would be capable of stoppping the car. Don't think Porsche would have put these on the car where it not for this requirement.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:17 PM
charlesml3
Instructor

Steve,

Which EBC pads did you find? I've been looking over AJ USA website now for a while and I don't see any pads for a GT3. Plenty for C2, C4, Turbo, etc...

-Charles
Old 04-13-2007, 01:35 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by viperbob
Yes just to make it confusing you have the Porsche Yellow Pagids (pad formulation ONLY available from Porsche) along with the direct from Pagid RS19 Yellows or the RS29 Yellows. They must have gotten a discount on Yellow paint....
Bob

I see here many others recommend the Pagid Yellows for track use. However, you've recommended the Oranges to me (Blacks for the rear). Can you clarify, please?
Old 04-13-2007, 04:12 PM
CT03911
Banned

My reference to the center caps was in my brake question only because I found 3 of 4 caps broken (the tabs that snap them in) when I had the wheels off for balancing.
I was just trying to figure out what the previous owner was doing with the caps off that led to breaking them. I know you don't need them off for a brake change or wheel removal but then I thought what else could he have had done where someone might have thought they had to come off.
That, in turn brought me to ask if the yellow pads were stock, thinking maybe someone did a brake upgrade for him and took them out for whatever reason. Now I know the yellow I see is the backing plate color only and confirmed today the pads are stock too.
Now what I think is he must have taken the wheels to a place to be balanced and they messed with the caps. I know, they come out easy, but....
This plus the fact one wheel was all screwed up balance-wise (too many weights, didn't need ANY of them!!) seems to point to a tire balancing shop not doing a very good job.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:50 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,631 Likes on 2,314 Posts

joe,

i have ran orange RS44 on my GT3 as well.
i like the feel of orange better, more modulation. but they dont last as long as yellows. cheaper though. however, i have since moved to yellow all around, as i dont like to constantly change pads. yellow last me 900-1100 miles up front.
Old 04-13-2007, 04:56 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

I change out the pads between track and street. Using the OE pads on the street, then as Bob recommended, Pagid Orange/Blacks for the track.

Quick Reply: Which pads come on the '04 GT3? Yellow?