Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 GT3 Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:48 PM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a B&M SSK and recently installed the 997 Gt3 shifter. I tried it for 3 weeks, I just couldn't get used to the longer throws after the B&M. I re-installed the B&M today. Anyone interested in buying a very slightly used 997 Gt3 shifter with centering tool, send my a PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 12:01 AM
mxdave74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've recently installed the 997 GT3 short shifter bought from a rennlister. Wow! is all i can say.... talk about SHORT. I'll report back over the next couple weeks, but I imagine once my brain/hand is recalibrated, that I'll be all smiles. It was niceto just drop in a new factory shift housing instead of all the demolition.
Old 10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
g3tcs
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just my two cents... I have a Mk1 GT3 and tried the B&M short shifter which I hated and went back to stock. as mentioned earlier a mate was having shift issues and fitted cup cables together with a short shift kit from Manthey.

After a week the Manthey short shifter was in the bin and the replaced with the stock shift. I have never felt such a smooth slick shift and had a set of cables fitted to my own car.

I would say it is a fantastic mod. Fast downchanges are now a breeze - it is in and out of gear faster than a $10 lap dancer. Porsche Motorsport's best kept secret (well at least it was...)

Check out manthey's website - 340 euros for all 996.
Old 10-19-2007, 11:08 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by g3tcs
Just my two cents... I have a Mk1 GT3 and tried the B&M short shifter which I hated and went back to stock. as mentioned earlier a mate was having shift issues and fitted cup cables together with a short shift kit from Manthey.

After a week the Manthey short shifter was in the bin and the replaced with the stock shift. I have never felt such a smooth slick shift and had a set of cables fitted to my own car.

I would say it is a fantastic mod. Fast downchanges are now a breeze - it is in and out of gear faster than a $10 lap dancer. Porsche Motorsport's best kept secret (well at least it was...)

Check out manthey's website - 340 euros for all 996.
Who did you get to fit the cables? (p.s. you are saying its the cables and 996 linkage that you like I think?)
Old 10-19-2007, 12:00 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanH
Who did you get to fit the cables? (p.s. you are saying its the cables and 996 linkage that you like I think?)
I read that as being Stock shift + Cup Cables = Loverly?

(ie, both the B&M and Manthey of said mate, ended up not being used)

Where else (in the UK) can you get Cup cables from? Are they available over the counter from an OPC? (I think Fearnsport do them, but may look at doing them myself)

Cheers
S
Old 10-19-2007, 03:17 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by spenny_b
I read that as being Stock shift + Cup Cables = Loverly?

(ie, both the B&M and Manthey of said mate, ended up not being used)

Where else (in the UK) can you get Cup cables from? Are they available over the counter from an OPC? (I think Fearnsport do them, but may look at doing them myself)

Cheers
S
Have you got a lift?
Old 10-19-2007, 04:52 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Have you got a lift?
Yes mate, where do you need to go?

No, I havent got a 4-poster, but have got axle stands and ramps
Old 10-19-2007, 05:18 PM
g3tcs
Advanced

Fearnsport fitted the cables during my gearbox rebuild. Cables were from Manthey. I bought quite a few bits for the rebuild and all-in Manthey were slightly cheaper than Porsche Motorsport.

And yes we are talking cup cables with standard 996 shifter.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:27 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Fearnsport fitted the cables during my gearbox rebuild. Cables were from Manthey. I bought quite a few bits for the rebuild and all-in Manthey were slightly cheaper than Porsche Motorsport.

And yes we are talking cup cables with standard 996 shifter.
Did you change the final drive with your rebuild?
Old 10-19-2007, 05:35 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Did you change the final drive with your rebuild?
Oh no...please, no more temptation!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:25 AM
g3tcs
Advanced

Final drive?? I sure did!
The original was showing signs of wear so as the Motorsport part was the same cost (give or take) I thought I would give it a try.
Old 10-20-2007, 08:07 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Final drive?? I sure did!
The original was showing signs of wear so as the Motorsport part was the same cost (give or take) I thought I would give it a try.
Pleased with it?
Old 10-20-2007, 10:17 AM
9Eleven
Three Wheelin'

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mxdave74
I've recently installed the 997 GT3 short shifter bought from a rennlister. Wow! is all i can say.... talk about SHORT. I'll report back over the next couple weeks, but I imagine once my brain/hand is recalibrated, that I'll be all smiles. It was niceto just drop in a new factory shift housing instead of all the demolition.
Did you buy the Porsche SSK or did you buy the factory 997 Gt3 shifter? There is a difference. What kind of vehicle are you talking about? If you own a 996 Gt3 and installed the factory 997 Gt3 shifter, there is no difference in the length of the throws. The main advantage is that the 997 unit shifts with a little more precision and it is better built. If you don't own a Gt car, then yes the 997 Gt3 shifter is shorter than a stock non-gt 996 or 997. It sounds like you purchased the Porsche SSK which is built for Porsche by B&M. The main difference between the two is that the Porsche kit comes as a complete unit and the B&M kit just gives you the components for installation. There is also a 300 dollar difference in the price.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:43 PM
g3tcs
Advanced

Pleased with it?
Not a huge amount of difference as basically (and very generally) you are in one gear higher than normal for a given position on a circuit. This is not always true of course and that is where the lower gearing benefits, as it seems to be able to pull better.

I did a day at Cadwell following Andy Tims and for a fair few of the exits I was able to pull away from essentially an identical car - which was nice! I am still learning to try and keep it on the power band and to make the most of the lower gearing. I do prefer it for sure.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:51 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Not a huge amount of difference as basically (and very generally) you are in one gear higher than normal for a given position on a circuit. This is not always true of course and that is where the lower gearing benefits, as it seems to be able to pull better.

I did a day at Cadwell following Andy Tims and for a fair few of the exits I was able to pull away from essentially an identical car - which was nice! I am still learning to try and keep it on the power band and to make the most of the lower gearing. I do prefer it for sure.
Not that noticeable then? It should accelerate about 10-12% faster! I'm having my clutch replaced so considering having it done, but its quite a lot of cash if its not that noticeable...

You may have just been driving better than Andy

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Shifter