Rickard 993 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell me more about the cup links
Old 10-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the cup cable fitments are more robust and stand up to people wacking the geat lever around in an agressive manner
R+C
Old 10-17-2007, 10:32 AM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

IIRC, the cup cable set is approx £300 (E450) plus the fitting. Not driven a car with them, but the lads at Fearnsport here in the UK recommend them.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:49 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
how about using cup cables whilst you are pullijng the car apart
Was considering them, but was quoted about 600 quid including vat & fitting. Not sure thats good value and frankly I'd rather the cables took the brunt rather than my gearbox if it comes down to one or the other!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

I wonder if they are cheaper in Belgium, and fit the booggers yersel, mon

R+C
Old 10-17-2007, 01:11 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
I wonder if they are cheaper in Belgium, and fit the booggers yersel, mon

R+C
I think you may have mistaken me for someone who can wield a spanner.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by DanH
I think you may have mistaken me for someone who can wield a spanner.
in that case hand spanner to significant other and book a dinner table at the Bleeding Heart

R+C
Old 10-18-2007, 01:24 PM
damianc4s
Intermediate

Ok guys, installed and fitted this part (997 424 010 00) into my 2003 GT3.

I would suggest those fitting a shifter look at the instruction the B&M guys put together (http://www.bmracing.com/media/products/pdf/67.pdf) as this gives quite a good series of instructions to follow.....with the important pictures!

The first thing to note is the construction of the 997 part over the 996, gone is the white plastic pivot point replaced with a black plastic reinforced by the metal plate (as seen in the very first post) what you can't see in this post is that Porsche have raised the pivot for the vertical movement above the height of the horizontal.

You can see this more in the 997 short-shift:

Beneath all of this you can see Porsche have also straighted up the angles of the cables, IIRC they were tilted downwards now they are flat, this alone should smooth things out.

Dan, you asked about alignment. There's a green alignment tool included with the kit (just make sure the car's in neutral before removing everything) which locks the lever in the neutral position and it's then a task of slipping in the cables.

On the subject of the cables, I marked my cables when I tried the B&M SSK (awful on GT3, far too short and painful!) so I was a little surprised to see that the markings didn't align to the new alignment, one notch vertical, 3 notches on the horizontal. So I must assume that the geometry of the 997 part is that little bit different.

So how does it feel? Well I haven't tried it yet, trying to avoid the placebo effect of a new part! The trouble is every time I replaced a shifter in the past they feel great for a week or so then it slowly feels crappy. The B&M felt great initially but I fell out with it over the next 3-4 weeks, then I replaced it with a standard 996 one, felt great but then started to feel too much like there was some obstruction.

I'll let you guys know my thought over the coming weeks!

Damian
Old 10-18-2007, 01:32 PM
spenny_b
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Damian
So how does it feel? Well I haven't tried it yet, trying to avoid the placebo effect of a new part! The trouble is every time I replaced a shifter in the past they feel great for a week or so then it slowly feels crappy. The B&M felt great initially but I fell out with it over the next 3-4 weeks, then I replaced it with a standard 996 one, felt great but then started to feel too much like there was some obstruction.

I'll let you guys know my thought over the coming weeks!

Damian
Awww, come-on!!...Dan and I eagerly awaiting an answer here!!!
Old 10-18-2007, 02:02 PM
damianc4s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by spenny_b
Awww, come-on!!...Dan and I eagerly awaiting an answer here!!!
I'll pop out and have a blast, it's a nice cool evening
Old 10-18-2007, 05:37 PM
SpeedGeek
Pro

Originally Posted by GrantG
I thought the 997 GT3 uses a Japanese Aisin gearbox (996 GT3 uses German Getrag) - I think that is most likely the overriding difference in the shifting (unless I'm confused)...
Is there anyone here who can answer Grant's question? I know the 997 Carrera uses an Aisin 'box, but is that also true for the GT3?

Anyway, I love the shifter on the 997 GT3, so I'm very interested in doing the mod described in this thread on my 996 RS. Waiting eagerly to read Damian's feedback...
Old 10-18-2007, 07:04 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Damian - nice one. With the alignment tool, I take it the cables don't need marking?
Old 10-18-2007, 08:05 PM
damianc4s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DanH
Damian - nice one. With the alignment tool, I take it the cables don't need marking?
No, in fact if I had marked the cables the whole mech. would have been out of alignment

The tool locks the position of the lever and you just slip the cables into their carriers and lock them in place. As I said in my post they varied quite a bit from what the alignment tool considered dead centre. I suppose we have to ask ourselves is this a newly revised alignment (to cater for the mechs. new geometry) or because the crappy shift cables stretch/warp over time?

First thoughts on the 'mod'? Well to be honest it feels a lot more precise, I wouldn't say it's smoother, it might be marginally shorter but whether that's the mechanism or the lever being shorter I don't know (it looked it). At least there seems to be equal tension whilst in 1-3-5 as there is in 2-4-6, before it seemed all to easy to knock it out of the upper gears with a gentle push on the stick.

1st and 2nd feel the same, but it was easier to engage 1st whilst stationary. The stick properly centres between 3-4 so a finger push up or down will engage those gears. Box-shifting from 5-3, or 6-4-3 feels more exact, but whether that's the infamous placebo effect only time and cynicism will tell
Old 10-18-2007, 08:10 PM
damianc4s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SpeedGeek
Is there anyone here who can answer Grant's question? I know the 997 Carrera uses an Aisin 'box, but is that also true for the GT3?

Anyway, I love the shifter on the 997 GT3, so I'm very interested in doing the mod described in this thread on my 996 RS. Waiting eagerly to read Damian's feedback...
I don't know what 'box the 997 GT3 uses, my gut feel is that they are still using the older one, after all they are still using the old engine

It's an easy mod to do, quite cheap and certainly worth it for peace of mind. Whether or not the Cup linkages and a change of gearbox oil will help tick all the boxes, but whatever the 997 mechanism helps

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 Shifter