Sponsored by:

PCCB SAFTEY ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Blacksport350
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cosmos
I think that is because GT2's came with PCCB's and GT3's were an option. The people who knew about the issues with the brakes did not order them on their GT3 and the rest replaced them.

Just my thought.
That and the fact that the GT2 puts even more of a load on the brakes as it gets to every braking point at a higher speed.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:15 PM
PaulRothwell
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had any sympathy from Porsche over this issue??...ever??
Old 10-09-2006, 01:54 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Change to slotted floating Brembo in front if you track it. Even if you don't track they are light and you will not have problems. Try to foster a good relationship with your Porsche tech and service department. I can say without reservation that I would have had mine replaced under warranty; my fault or not.

Current Setup:
MPSC
Schatz Alignment
Cup Brake Ducts
Brembo Slotted Floating Rotors (front)
RS Flywheel/Clutch
Tequipment Roll Bar
GT3 Cloth Seats
BK Driver Side Seat Brackets
Sabelt Harnesses
Center Console Delete
Old 10-09-2006, 03:52 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by PaulRothwell
Has anyone had any sympathy from Porsche over this issue??...ever??
The odd person, but not many and they were mostly the original owners of the cars when new and that sales brochure making all the crazy promises was about. Given the level your disk has delaminated, it looks like you had no pad there for a while which won't help your case I suspect.

In the end its just cheaper to switch to alcon floaters if you are based in the uk (try JZ Machtech) and forget about it. We all know ceramics have a reputation for degrading so a replacement set won't really help in the long term.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Paulrothwell - if you do a search onthis forum you will find lots of people who suffered failures with Gen 1 PCCB, including me. Mine lasted longer than yours but failed the same way. Locally, I know two others who had the same problem. Porsche may be sympathetic.

The real solution is to replace the front rotors with 996 GT3 350 MM steel rotors. Replace the rear ones with 997 GT3 rear rotors which are the same diameter. You will be able to retain your original calipers. You can buy the rotors from US suppliers for less than 400 US dollars each.

Colm I beg to differ but if the Gen 1 was without fault, why are the Gen 2 PCCB so different?

Regards,
Old 10-09-2006, 11:45 PM
Modoc
Instructor

My 05 GT3 has gen 1 pccb I've been told vin ....2074. My rear rotors appear to be smaller than the fronts. I thought the 05 pccb cars had same size front and rear. Is there anyway to distinguish Gen 1 fromGen 2 ??
Old 10-10-2006, 10:49 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE
Colm I beg to differ but if the Gen 1 was without fault, why are the Gen 2 PCCB so different?
[/QUOTE]

Evolution my friend!

Following your logic would suggest that all previous Porsches (and products) were faulty because they were updated.

Now riddle me this one?

Why is it that Factory (all) race teams take lots of spares, and spare cars to the track; but individuals (even some who aim for race type times) expect to subject their cars to some of the same repeated track pressures and expect magical performance (and warranty)?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:16 AM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Thats the thing though Colm, they take spare ceramic disks too. Thats not quite how Porsche marketed this tech, and certainly now how they priced it. Riddle me this - why are they a 5k GBP option but 13k+ GBP to renew?
Old 10-10-2006, 11:51 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the warranty was always pretty clear, they don't cover tracking..I wish they did.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:10 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

The pics showing a red hot disk with claims of being able to withstand the harshest track conditions were pretty explicit though! I know the brochure is now covered in disclaimers, but it wasn't back in the day. Hence why early buyers who bought the car new get a lot more loving from Porsche if a complaint is made...
Old 10-11-2006, 10:10 AM
PaulRothwell
Advanced

Porsche are now apparently saying that the ceramic brakes last longe rin gentle road use....why would anyone pay £6/8,000 for a brake upgrade that cannot be used!!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 10:57 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Unhappy

Originally Posted by DanH
The pics showing a red hot disk with claims of being able to withstand the harshest track conditions were pretty explicit though! ..

We’ve been ill advised and Porsche AG KNOWS that!
Old 10-11-2006, 01:55 PM
GT3MK1
Instructor

Originally Posted by cosmos

its a known fact that pads NEED to be changed with PCCB very frequently, you seemed to have unknowingly abused your brakes to the point of failure.

The Gen I brakes are inferior to Gen II, however if treated with respect and with maintenance the Gen I brakes are very good and will last a long time.

I believe that this was Porsche's fault only on Porsche not expressing the need to change brake pads frequently.
How frequently?
Old 10-11-2006, 02:28 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Some PCCB info:

Thicker carbon fibers now, actually, they're fiber bundles
Three thousand fibers were previously (Gen1) used to form such a bundle;
the new generation (Gen2) has 400,000

While the 20 air outlets in the first generation are oblong, the new ones are square.
There are twice as many outlets now as before. The perforation pattern on the braking surface has been changed as well. It used to be regular. Not it's more random.

http://www.sglcarbon.com/sgl_t/brakedisc/index.html
Old 10-11-2006, 08:25 PM
DanH
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MJones
Some PCCB info:

Thicker carbon fibers now, actually, they're fiber bundles
Three thousand fibers were previously (Gen1) used to form such a bundle;
the new generation (Gen2) has 400,000

While the 20 air outlets in the first generation are oblong, the new ones are square.
There are twice as many outlets now as before. The perforation pattern on the braking surface has been changed as well. It used to be regular. Not it's more random.

http://www.sglcarbon.com/sgl_t/brakedisc/index.html
Isn't there now a Gen3 on the 997 which has gone back to a regular perforation pattern?

Quick Reply: PCCB SAFTEY ISSUE