Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof Letter

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 11:44 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might get more of a reaction if you give them a reason to want to change. Give them some that shows a financial benefit to the company.

1. State that you have no interest in one with a sunroof and will not buy one until you can get it in that configuration. (You MUST be prepared to follow the threat and not make any attempt to purchase one until this change is made otherwsie you will NEVER win this argument)

2. State the amount of additional cost you would be willing to pay to get one without a sunroof over the price currently being offered. This should be a number that will attract their attention such as $5000-6000.

If they receive 100+ letters similar to this from verified Porsche owners, they will be much more influenced to coming out with somethign to fill the need. It may be an RS model that costs $15K more, but only weighs 25 lbs less.
Old 09-01-2006, 11:58 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rotgtdrei
...and the same kind of research directed the German Engineers to eliminate the sunroof for ROW???
Sure, 95% of American new Porsche buyers don't give a **** and/or don't know **** when it comes to sportscars, they are more into luxury & comfort. Damn pimps!

FYI, sunroof IS an option for Euro GT3s though.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:08 AM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just makes my '05 retain a little more of its value...
My meager smile stretches just a little farther, every year.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:41 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I hear a lot of gum flapping, and for the most part a sadly pathetic lie down and take it attitude.

I for one would pay for Option 652. Would you?.

NA sunroof standard for all 997 series bodies...hmmm what body is the GT3RS?

You have seen the reply I got, is that an excuse not to write and express your opinion / objection ?

I know that most out there are not County / City "It's not my job" employees, but am sensing that sort of attitude

What are your reasons for not writing ? You have opinions, regardless if you own a GT3 or not.

I just don't understand the Apathy that I sense with regatds to the hole in the roof issue.

You may even get the exact same letter as a reply....sobeit..it's about nmbers.

Let your opinion be known!

WRITE !!

Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
980 Hammond Drive,
Suite 1000
Atlanta, Georgia 30328
Old 09-02-2006, 12:13 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Wouldn't most of us be more satisfied with a more specific, honest answer rather than the nebulous statement which sounds like the writer really wishes he could honestly say there was a performance advantage to a sunroof but can't.

Even if he just said the truth (which is perhaps what the writer really wanted to do):

"Most of our customer base wants a sunroof and since we feel we will sell all the GT3's we can build for the USA with a sunroof anyway, and it would have cost us more to certify a non-sunroof chassis, we could not justify that cost deduction from our bottom line. You performance junkies F off".
Old 09-02-2006, 02:40 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

To those of you that didn't write a letter, keep in mind that the sunroof is the first of how many luxury features we'll see in the future, if all stays the same. What's next, the US buyer wants only automatic gearboxes, so no manual for the NA Market...where does it stop! Write the letter to let Porsche know that we still want choices!
Old 09-02-2006, 02:53 PM
Rotgtdrei
Rennlist Member

Flying Finn:

How stupid of me, yes, the research data the German Engineers gathered indicated the the ROW should have the right to decide whether they want a sunroof, unlike the NA market.
Old 09-02-2006, 03:35 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Don't you think it is interesting that the RoW 997 GT3 gets AC as standard? That isn't free and adds to their base price.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Stephen Fisher
Instructor

I would very much like to buy a 997 GT3 with no sunroof and the European seats (perhaps they will give us what we want next year). Unfortunately, it will not be offered in that configuration for the NA market this year. I believe that it was Henry Ford that said he would give the customer a Ford in any color he wanted so long as it was black.

Bottom line, I think Porsche offers an unbelievable product in the 997 GT3 and I will buy one anyway. I will add the European seats and live with the sunroof (I may crack it open on the way to the track). The GT3 is a street car that one can flog at the track. It is not a race car (please see GT3 Cup Car for the race car). That will be how I will enjoy the car.

While I am sad that it cannot be configured from the factory as I would like, it will be difficult to discern any sadness on my face when I drive that bad boy home.

Cheers.

SF
Old 09-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Make sure you can fit in the car with your helmet on or their may be a little sadness at the track.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:13 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few thoughts...

1. No engineer in his right mind (even us dunkomf American ones) can make a case for putting a sunroof into a car like this. It is entirely the marketing morons.

2. I would like to see PCNA admit that it is simply a dollar issue in the US market due to the crash testing that they don't offer both

3. I would like to see PCNA start inviting PORSCHE owners to the focus groups! I currently own 2 Porsches, am very active in the the Porsche club and sell a lot of cars for them. Maybe they should value my opinion over that of someone who bought a BMW because they had a special lease deal on some clunker they could not sell.

4. My understanding is that you cannot open in the sunroof if you install the Porsche roll bar or roll cage. Anyone able to verify this? So those of you that said maybe you will use it on the way to the track.... maybe you won't be able to.

5. The Mitsubishi EVO 'RS' does not come with a sunroof. Maybe I should change my brand loyalty as they seem to understand me better that Porsche (now demoted to 1 sylabul)
Old 09-02-2006, 10:41 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

I note as I read my Car and Driver today that Audi managed to have a sunroof delete option on the RS4

At least Audi knows what some driverrs want and is willing to make the call.
Old 09-02-2006, 10:42 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Ed Newman;

#4 - if I read the order guide correctly the RoW cars cannot have the club sport option with the sunroof option. I assumed that was because the roll bar will not fit since the sunroof takes up more interior space (clearance issue). Further assumed Porsche AG was not offering a different roll bar for sunroof fitted 997 cars.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:15 AM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Correct. It seems like those with sunroofs in their GT3's will not be able to use the clubsport rollbar. Only the tequipment one will fit.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:53 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Sure, 95% of American new Porsche buyers don't give a **** and/or don't know **** when it comes to sportscars, they are more into luxury & comfort. Damn pimps!

FYI, sunroof IS an option for Euro GT3s though.

Thought I toss my two cents in.. Most new Porsche owners (in my opinion) just want the status.
Once the status wears off, they are off to the next new venture.
The second point (in my opinion) is PCNA is making record sales and profit.
So, why would they spend $ and test / crash a non sunroof car?
Not to mention, I sure they want to maximize their production efficiencies.

I cycled these same thoughts and frustrations when I ordered my GT2….I wanted a Club Sport. I wrote letters to the CEO, Peter Hans Porsche in Germany, and PCA pleading
for some relief. I was even contemplating on Euro Delivery if I could obtain that option
for a USA spec car… that objective was never obtain.

My next disappointment was the first gen PCCB.
Oh ya, I voiced my opinion by buying an Audi S/4 as a daily runner – could have bought a Porsche truck but didn’t.

Good luck with your quest!

Quick Reply: Sunroof Letter