Sunroof Letter

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:41 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cupcar
But the European Porsche availability is more customized by comparison to the USA- and most of this lack of customization is due to PCNA wanting to herd us into simple categories that suit their profit needs.

If we don't complain or vote with our wallets it won't change.
I agree but the root of the problem IMO is because of the US customers are not willing to wait for their order and rather just get one of the cars at dealers lot even though if it's wrong color or has different options you want.

In Europe, it's almost unheard of that someone buys a 100K+ car and doesn't get it EXACTLY way he/she wants. People are willing to wait months so that they get the car they want.

Here, it's not so big deal if the color & other options are not exactly what you prefer. I've never understod that principle but that's how it seems to be.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 09-08-2006 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:20 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by N51
It's a poor analogy. RSA's had a sunroof delete option.

Noah
'93 RSA sunroof delete
Actually, the RSA had no sunroof standard, but you could option it back in. Same thing forthe radio & A/C.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:50 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Actually, the RSA had no sunroof standard, but you could option it back in. Same thing forthe radio & A/C.
You are correct...and the LSD. :-)
It would be great if Porsche took the same approach with the GT3. Present it with no options and allow buyers to build it to their own satisfaction.

Noah
Old 09-08-2006, 11:09 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
It's much cheaper on several levels to produce something that is standardized not customized...

and that is exactly the problem, we pay more for these cars because they are to most of us essentially "custom cars" and when you take that opportunity from us we think about shopping elsewhere
Old 09-08-2006, 01:57 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I agree but the root of the problem IMO is because of the US customers are not willing to wait for their order and rather just get one of the cars at dealers lot even though if it's wrong color or has different options you want.

In Europe, it's almost unheard of that someone buys a 100K+ car and doesn't get it EXACTLY way he/she wants. People are willing to wait months so that they get the car they want.

Here, it's not so big deal if the color & other options are not exactly what you prefer. I've never understod that principle but that's how it seems to be.
True, the issue is really the USA marketplace, and not PCNA and Porsche. If the general market were philosophically where the Rennlisters posting here are, then this forum string would not exist.

I think the issue is that the delay time between the order and receipt of the car requires an appreciation for delayed gratification, most Americans are for instant gratification and the dealers want to have the goods that this demographic can buy and take home today.

Look at it from the dealers point of view, they want the customer to come in, the salesman shows the customer around to find an acceptable car, then lays out the pricing/finance/lease options and the customer takes a car home on the same day. Done deal, dealer goes to bank.

Contrast this to an order process where the customer leaves a refundable deposit and orders a car which they may change their mind about and not buy during the waiting period for the car. The dealer has to give them back their deposit and then sell the car. Done deal maybe in 3 months. Dealer may have a custom ordered pink GT2 with yellow interior to sell "off the lot" when customer renigs on order.

Personally, I am for non-refundable deposits at the time of the order as this would protect the dealer and make them more interested in the special order.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:16 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

agree with above. interesting story when i ordered my 993TT, the dealer wanted 5K non refundable deposit, said it was hard to sell a non sunroof equipped car, I said fine heres 5K i'm serious and am buying a car for me not the next owner, funny thing is when I sold my car, I sold her for only a few thousand less than I paid and this was 4 years later when everyone else was beggin for people to buy their cars with the 996 TT coming out, resale pooh buy the car for you not next owner, sunroof=mail slot, I like my roofs smooth

Quick Reply: Sunroof Letter