Sponsored by:

What to do with a bad salesman?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 08:56 PM
soarteeth
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do with a bad salesman?

What would you do with a salesman that still thinks that the 997 GT3 won't have a sunroof?

I have purchased three 911's from this dealership and dealt only with the former sales manager, but unfortunately he has moved on to a Mercedes dealership.
When I originally put my deposit down for a 997 GT3, I had called the sales manager at my dealership who I didn't know, and he directed me to a salesman.

About the only thing he's done for me is get a copy of the German sales brochure.

Ask him a question about allocations or equipment and he has no clue. Is this typical of all salesman vs sales managers? I'm tempted to go to the sales manager and ask for a salesman that actually knows what a GT3 is.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:21 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

Well, I would say this is typical in many cases. An enthusiast like yourself or the individuals on Rennlist typically know much more about these cars than the salesman. When I picked up my GT3 at the dealer the salesman did not even try to know more than I did about the car -- at least he was honest.

So when in doubt go directly to the top such as the sales manager or owner so they can direct you to the right answers.

Also, in most states the deposit is fully refundable.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:49 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Call him a Bafoon....
Ask if he has read the GT3 Order Guide?
Have a copy with you with " Electric sliding roof with tip open/close" hilighted and hand it to him.
Then ask what good are you, what was your last certification score on the "Source"?

Sadly Car Sales are a numbers game....no matter the marque....knowledge and passion have nothing to do with "A Deal"
Old 08-18-2006, 10:55 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Sad. Apart from being ignorant about this car does he seem willing to try and help you. If not run your complaint through the system until you get proper treatment. You are a repeat customer so that dealership should do better (they get tired of dreamers and 'tire kickers').
Old 08-18-2006, 10:59 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get anoyher rep... do you really want to pay his commision
Old 08-20-2006, 04:04 AM
kostas
Track Day

The issue here is very simple. We porsche maniacs just go to the dealers and buy our car - they do not sell them to us. That`s a huge difference.

I do not believe anyone of us is convinced to buy or not to buy because of the salesman`s performance.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:54 PM
Singing6
2nd Gear

Call me. I am a Long time enthusiast and I'm trying to land a sales job at a local Porsche dealership. I think its going well (should know in a week or so). Maybe I can change the stereotype one customer at a time....There is room for informed guys and numbers....at least I believe it! I would rather buy from a guy that knows and owns the product and I think there are quite a few other people like me....right?
Old 08-21-2006, 03:04 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

If he doesn't know but pretends that makes him twice as ignorant. The guy I bless with my business and the reason I say it this way is because, as some one else mentioned, I go in knowing what I want, know more than he does, place my order and then deal with the manager for discounts and what not. My sales guy is not a sales guy for me, he's my order taker and because he is one heck of a nice guy he earns my commission. I tell anyone that listens that we should all have the pleasure of dealing with someone as great in customer service as my sales guy Bobby Puri at the Collection. He once asked me where I got my info from and I directed him to Rennlist since then he lurks and reads up on the news...etc...he tries to learn as much as possible. He knows I'm not interested in other models like the Turbo or regular 997's but before the cars show up he calls me and invites to private showings.

Look your guy may have just made a mistake but if he's willing to learn that means he's willing to listen which will only mean that hopefully he'll listen to you with regards to what you want and how you want to be treated. And if he's smart he'll follow through with what he's learned.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:25 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by soarteeth
What would you do with a salesman that still thinks that the 997 GT3 won't have a sunroof?

I have purchased three 911's from this dealership and dealt only with the former sales manager, but unfortunately he has moved on to a Mercedes dealership.
When I originally put my deposit down for a 997 GT3, I had called the sales manager at my dealership who I didn't know, and he directed me to a salesman.

About the only thing he's done for me is get a copy of the German sales brochure.

Ask him a question about allocations or equipment and he has no clue. Is this typical of all salesman vs sales managers? I'm tempted to go to the sales manager and ask for a salesman that actually knows what a GT3 is.
It sounds like you don't need any help -- you're right to just go to the dealer principal or sales manager and say this joker is out of the game and you won't be paying his commish if you buy from that dealership.
Otherwise, drive 22.7 miles and do business with the next store (assuming you're in a metro area with prime demographics for Porsche.
Or go on the Web and get it all by remote.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:53 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

shoot him or make him sell corvettes
Old 08-28-2006, 02:29 AM
soarteeth
Advanced

It took awhile but I finally got some straight answers from this dealership.

When I placed my deposit in March my original salesman said he didn't have the GT3 waiting list on hand but he thought my position would be in the first 8-10 spots and since a few of the names were also on the Turbo list, chances were good I would move up quickly. I just found out I'm 26th on the list.
Needless to say there is no way I'll be getting a GT3 from this dealership. In the past I've bought three new 911's from this dealership. I will never buy another Porsche from them.

Not being one to rely on the integrity of a single dealership. A couple weeks after placing my deposit I happened to see anothers Porsche dealers sign along the freeway and thought it might be wise to get on a second list. After finding out I was 26th at Newport Auto I called Circle P A and confirmed that I'm 4th on their list now that they've ordered the first two GT3's from the Aug/Sept and Oct/Nov allocations.

Moral to this story is: Deal only with the sales manager and or get something in writing and never trust the "-------".

Quick Reply: What to do with a bad salesman?