997 GT3 at NY Auto show?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2006, 02:50 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
whats gt3 opinion around here re airbags and abs? they add weight, eliminate driver skills, not purist items at all. how about power steering, brakes, windows/seats, climate control, stereo? how do these abominations compare to sunroof ?? worse, equal, better?
They're all better than sunroof because they either weight less, don't effect structurally, add safety and/or are easily removed.

[EDIT]: If the roof was made of transparent aluminum nobody would have issue with it.

Last edited by MetalSolid; 04-15-2006 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-15-2006, 03:08 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

whats gt3 opinion around here re airbags and abs? they add weight, eliminate driver skills, not purist items at all. how about power steering, brakes, windows/seats, climate control, stereo? how do these abominations compare to sunroof ?? worse, equal, better?

btw noble had a great car at show. street legal with full roll cage/harness, no storage at all, no power anything, no abs/airbags, no electronic anything, etc. damn but it did have a stereo......

yes mj i hope to track in northeast about dozen times/year. and it will be my daily driver unless heavy snow where i will use sons audi s4
Excellent on tracking the car...it's nice to see the being used to its fullest!

Airbags good for safety (although I'll probably replace my steering wheel with the motorsports one).

ABS good for the safety of the majority of drivers and great for pushing really deep into a corner.

Power Steering allows you to drive for longer periods of time without fatiguing.

Windows I presume you meant power windows or heavy glass, as I've said many of times give me roll up windows or sliding lexan ones!

Seats most of us change out the factory installed Sport seats for the lighter GT3 seat or full racing seats.

Climate Control well even LeMans is making it mandatory for the closed cockpit cars. If you don't want it or need it and want to save some weight get rid of it.

Stereo...GT3's have one, I didn't even bother to look to see if mine had one.

Sunroof's don't make the car any safer or better to track it (in fact they make it heavier in the wrong place which I'm sure you already know from all the past post that it's not a good thing), and as Metalsolid said, it's heavier than the other ones mentioned and can't be removed as easily.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:26 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

btw noble had a great car at show. street legal with full roll cage/harness, no storage at all, no power anything, no abs/airbags, no electronic anything, etc. damn but it did have a stereo......

yes mj i hope to track in northeast about dozen times/year. and it will be my daily driver unless heavy snow where i will use sons audi s4
For me (now add huge discalimer here about non airbag cars being dangerous etc.) ABS and airbag can go, in fact I've removed bags from my car even though I still have the ABS, I'd like to remove that one as well (not because of weight but because I like the feel of the non ABS better).

Power steering is the same, I'd rather have my car without it even though Porsches with power steering have very good feel.

Also the power windows and stereo are not needed althotgh I have power windows (for the ladies! ) and tiny stereo with two smallest speakers I could find (I made a deal with the wife: she wanted to have the stereo and then all my future mods were ok) , A/C in Miami I have to keep although that's quite a bit heavy. It's just that for going to work etc. I'd be sweating like a pig which is not a good thing!

However, let's get serious man, comparing all of those items there (maybe stereo can be exluded) to a sunroof just doesn't make any sense.

Sunroof is only for comfort, showoff etc. It has absolutely nothing, and I mean nothing to do with accelerating, stopping ot turning faster. Nothing.

Where as ABS, power braking, steering etc. do have. For drivers who are not so confident, good or experienced, those things will make them go little faster (hopefully) but in real life, they don't make the car slower where as sunroof does.

And just one more time, the biggest complaint here is if the sunroof is mandatory and CAN NOT be deleted. Simple as that.

As I said, if the car came without any option and then had lof of options to be added, that would be ok for me.

Then we both could be happy; you coul'd get your sunroof, chrono, stereo or whatever it is that you need and I could have my car without them.

So we'd both "win", no?

P.S. Pretty please with the sugar on the top: don't call me an "ahole" (and at least say *******, not ahole), I'm a ********.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

Comfort and performance are essentially mutually exclusive.

A/C is in a racing car to improve the driver's performance in long races, not the car's.

Flying Finn is right on IMHO , the more flexible the ordering process, the happier GT3 customers will be....those that order a GT3 who do not understand a track oriented vs a boulevard oriented chassis will always be dissappointed with a GT3 though.
Old 04-15-2006, 07:37 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

for sure roof should be an option for anyone to get what they want

what about colored calipers adding unsprung weight (the worst kind) and why does the ultra gt3 rs have, gasp, painted rims? does any paint help a sportscar go faster if that is the only reason for its existence? any deloreans for track days?

any other opinions on the noble which would seem to suite this group better than any p car could?
Old 04-15-2006, 08:00 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what about colored calipers adding unsprung weight (the worst kind) and why does the ultra gt3 rs have, gasp, painted rims? does any paint help a sportscar go faster if that is the only reason for its existence? any deloreans for track days?

any other opinions on the noble which would seem to suite this group better than any p car could?
Now you're being silly. Can't race without sponsors and sponsorship requires paint... With regards to Noble, people here have chosen Porsche as their team and they want that team to be the best they can, they're not gonna switch teams just because that other team has better players -- but they will switch if a bunch of hooligans join the supporters circle.

Some people get sports-cars, some people don't... GT3 is.was for those that do.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:07 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Alright now we're all on the same page!!
what about...unsprung weight (the worst kind) and painted rims?
This is why many have gone or thinking of going with either PCCB and or lighter aftermarket options and lighter BBS or other Magnesium/lighter wheels...btw run a search on lightweight GT3 or GT3 diet and you'll see what some of us have, are or will do...but like we said, it's all about choices, if someone wants to do something it should be their choice not PAG's or PCNA's!
Old 04-15-2006, 11:57 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

All right, I'm outta here...

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 at NY Auto show?