Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 GT3 at NY Auto show?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006 | 09:00 PM
GreigM
Advanced

Default 997 GT3 at NY Auto show?

I'm in NYC for a few days and I see that Porsche are at the Auto Show this weekend, does anyone know if they will have the 997 GT3 on stand? - I'd love to see it in the flesh.
Old 04-13-2006 | 09:55 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

just got back from show and no gt3 and no tt. but i did get to speak to rep who told me sunroof is std on gt3 which makes me very happy. bad news is suede interior probably not available and chrono pkg is optional which is ridiculous to me since track lapping is reason for car in 1st place.

was also interesting to see porsche dealer material describing z06, am v8, f430 as the competition with explanations to dealer how to compare them to customers.
Old 04-13-2006 | 10:04 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
just got back from show and no gt3 and no tt. but i did get to speak to rep who told me sunroof is std on gt3 which makes me very happy. bad news is suede interior probably not available and chrono pkg is optional which is ridiculous to me since track lapping is reason for car in 1st place.
Why would the fact that the chrono package is optional be ridiculous on a car that comes with a standard sunroof?
Old 04-13-2006 | 10:06 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Porsche is having a private gathering tomorrow in NYC to view the new 997 TT, it's invitation only by dealerships.
Old 04-13-2006 | 10:25 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Why would the fact that the chrono package is optional be ridiculous on a car that comes with a standard sunroof?
dont worry about weight issue as i have it all figured out.
i will take laxatives/diuretics whenever i drive it. i will keep only 1 gallon gas at a time. never wear socks, belt or shoe laces, remove valve stem covers, owners manual. will come up with other ideas from now until i get car in fall maybe others could help me form ruining the gt3 experience with more ideas

seriously i would be willing to bet that not even a pro driver could tell difference driving back to back with and without sunroof on track let alone an amature
Old 04-13-2006 | 11:25 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Why does the presence of a sunroof make you happy???
Old 04-13-2006 | 11:46 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pedsurg
Why does the presence of a sunroof make you happy???
My question exactly.

But seriously - the dopes from most dealers, including the ones who get paid to man the auto show displays, have less knowledge than just about everyone on thier own products they sell. They truly are ignorant, but just try and act like they know something!!!!
Old 04-14-2006 | 04:01 AM
Moogle
Race Car

was also interesting to see porsche dealer material describing z06, am v8, f430 as the competition with explanations to dealer how to compare them to customers.
you obviously don't get it.

sunroof = weight high in center of gravity and also chassis compromise.
sport chrono stopwatch = a joke - no governing body allows manual self-timing.

only good thing about chrono is the performance benifits.

wow...
Old 04-14-2006 | 05:35 AM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

seriously i would be willing to bet that not even a pro driver could tell difference driving back to back with and without sunroof on track let alone an amature
Here's what those pros will be racing next season... GT3RSR Cab
Old 04-14-2006 | 06:58 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

...... don't all those REAL race cars, that go roundy-roundy have a sun roof? You can't stick your hand out of the window to wave at the fans because of the safety net, so you make a hole in the roof?

R+C
Old 04-14-2006 | 08:52 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

WTF?!

You're happy to see a sunroof and then sportschrono as an option is ridiculous?! And all of the explanation about sunroof not being a factor is just silly.

Maybe it doesn't sound a lot of weight to you but that weight is in the wrong place and just in principle, ALL extra weight that comes from pimp items such as sunroof are not good in a car that is supposedly track/sports oriented model. It doesn't matter whether it's 1 lbs or 40 lbs (about the sunroof), it's still extra, stupid and not needed.

With your principle we could add 30 lbs here, 25 lbd there (what's extra 25 lbs?), 5 , 35, 22, 10, 3, 2, 5, 8, 4, 12, 34 and all of those little things that "have no effect in performance is suddenly 195 lbs.

You know, everything counts and for sure even the GT3 needs desperately some dieting.

So yes, 40 lbs on top of the car surely makes a difference, go and check all the race series where they have weight penalties and see how much 40 lbs does. And there it'snot mounted on the roof!

Plus it's so uncool in a sportscar so even if it weighted exactly the same, IMO it has no place there since it doesn't "do" anything.

And sports chrono... If it's an option, why is that a bad thing? You can order it, right? Besides, you can't use it at track... Call PCA or other track club and ask.
Old 04-14-2006 | 03:14 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

i am happy my gt3 is coming with a sunroof because i enjoy open cars. i have tracked a 95 ferrari spider last 4 years and a boxster before that and always had the top down. much more fun to be in the elements than to have 'ultimate stiff chassis and minimum weight'.

if my job was to win races and i was good enough to exploit all the car had to give i might want to eliminate the sunroof. as it is i will drive the car on the street 95% of the time and maybe dozen track days/yr.

i want the chrono to keep lap times in a more convenient way than timing an in car video when i get home and i dont think p should charge extra for it in this car.

my point still remains that none of the so called purists complaining about ruining the car would be able to tell difference in a double blind test either on track or street.
Old 04-14-2006 | 03:23 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

i want the chrono to keep lap times in a more convenient way than timing an in car video when i get home
Old 04-14-2006 | 03:38 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

(95 spiderman: Maybe so, but Porsche ought to at least let us try. : )
Old 04-14-2006 | 06:14 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

i am happy my gt3 is coming with a sunroof because i enjoy open cars. i have tracked a 95 ferrari spider last 4 years and a boxster before that and always had the top down. much more fun to be in the elements than to have 'ultimate stiff chassis and minimum weight'.

if my job was to win races and i was good enough to exploit all the car had to give i might want to eliminate the sunroof. as it is i will drive the car on the street 95% of the time and maybe dozen track days/yr.

i want the chrono to keep lap times in a more convenient way than timing an in car video when i get home and i dont think p should charge extra for it in this car.

my point still remains that none of the so called purists complaining about ruining the car would be able to tell difference in a double blind test either on track or street.
Look, I don't give a **** if you or someone wants to pimp out their GT3 with 24" spinners, sunroof, subwoofers etc. etc. etc. All I'm saying they should not force it to those who think sportscar should be a sportscar, period.

OK, I do give a **** since this is the only not pimped out model in Porsche's line-up so I'm bitching why do they have to pimp out absolutely everything? It's not like there's not enough models for people who want luxury, sunroofs and stuff!

But, if the sunroof is an OPTION, or even a DELETE OPTION, I can live with that (I still think it's stupid to pimp out the "track model" though) but why does it have to MANDATORY to all of us?

BTW, as an suggestion to you and all other who thing GT3 should come with all the other 1000 options Porsches other models have:
Turbo, or better yet, Turbo Carbriolet, why not get that?

You'd get even better open motoring, more horsepower too.

Sure, it's heavier that GT3 but that doesn't seem to be a problem for you.

P.S. You should get one of the real lap timers. Surely more conviniet and better than sports chrono.
And I still don't understand what's your problem with Sports Chrono being an option? You can get it if you want it you know.

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 at NY Auto show?