Sponsored by:

997 GT3 at NY Auto show?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 08:32 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
Guys that got rid of their 996GT3 bcause they were too rough and no sun roof are back with deposit money.
I don't know whether to cry or jump for joy since I will probably eventually buy a used 996 GT3!
Old 04-14-2006, 09:11 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
The Sport Chrono is not a lap timer. It's just a timer.

A lap timer will measure lap times. My HotLap is a lap timer.
My understanding is that you can program a certain distance into the Sports Chrono and have the timer trip every time that distance is reached...
Old 04-14-2006, 10:33 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by roberga
and that is why the 997 gt3 will be the car it is in the USA. There are more spiderman the flying finns. sad but true.
A buddy of mine at the dealer said they have a ton of interest in the 997 gt3 just because of all the stuff. Guys that got rid of their 996GT3 bcause they were too rough and no sun roof are back with deposit money.

i thought i already threw up the white flag. you guys are starting to nauseate me. like i and all those like me are the downfall or the porsche empire...

i picked a 348 over a 355 because the manual steering gives more feedback. i pick a 997 gt3 over a 360cs because i like to shift myself. i know what a sports car should be.

if any of you aholes who are berating me want a track porsche get a cup car and keep it on the track. i want a street car that will be FUN on occasional track days so i got a gt3 WITH sunroof. if you dont like it, well i have too much class to tell you what to do.....
Old 04-14-2006, 10:36 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Spidey,

I hear you, and I understand exactly where you are coming from. However, I think that you might have inadvertently rubbed salt in wounds by suggesting that it is a good thing that sunroofs will be mandatory in the 997 GT3s. I think that if the people around here could get what they really want, including a GT3 without a sunroof, they really wouldn't care too much about you wanting a GT3 with a sunroof.

TD
Old 04-14-2006, 11:04 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
wow, so much hostility for someone calling themself 'king of cool'. why dont you publicly state that you would be able to discern a sunroof car from a non by driving it? i would then like to see you back up your claim.

i do get your point that p should let you order the car how you want it but rep explained to me they dont want to usa certify w and w/o sunroof. im po'd suede wont be available but thats life.

i had a deposit on a tt and cancelled b/c i think it IS too heavy and even i could tell the difference driving tt vs gt3. as to pimping gt3 i am getting NO options except chrono which i just do not think should be extra cost.
Sorry if I sounded hostile to you, that certainly isn't my intention, like I said, I could be ok if you guys would pimp all you want, as long as there was pure car for us "nuts" but because of people like you (don't take this wrongly, I'm not trying to badmouth you, just speaking in general about people who are "demanding" i.e. sunroof) that us who think sportscar should be without sunroof are losing our battle since Porsche seems to be just catering for you.

And I'm not only arguing against pimpin' because for me, Porsche with stiff suspension, loud exhasuit and no nonsense extras etc. is what I want, IMHO in the end it will hurt Porsche too because they are losing the image, or what is still left of it.

And ok, here it comes publicly: I can detect a sunroof car from a non-sunroof car by driving it.
I'm saying this because when I changed my sport seats to a bucket seats I lost about 60 lbs (I think removing sunroof is about 40 lbs) and could detect that even though there was about one month between those two occasions (when I drove at track with, and without 60 lbs) and I certainly can notice when I have a passenger or when I don't.

Last edited by Flying Finn; 04-14-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:50 PM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 973 Posts

"....rep explained to me they dont want to usa certify w and w/o sunroof."

Pretty much says it all doesn't it? Porsche used to be run by people who were passionate about cars. Now it's run by people passionate about money.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:27 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 95spiderman
...if any of you aholes who are berating me want a track porsche...if you dont like it, well i have too much class to tell you what to do.....
Yes let's keep our class and respect for one another, that is exactly what the Finn, myself and others have been saying...although we disagree with them we respect your decisions, what's the old saying, I may disagree with what you're saying but I'll die to defend your right to say it.

All we want is for Porsche to allow whom ever to order whatever they want, with or without sunroof, with or without AC, etc...what upsets many is not that YOU want a GT3 with the comfort/touring features and comforts, it's that Porsche is apparently thinking that there isn't any of us that don't want those things out there willing to purchase a more track oriented (hence less street/comfort/features i.e. sunroof) car.

BTW you didn't answer my question from my previous post...again not being a smartA$$ about it.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:32 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

I am for individual freedom in specing out a car- one should be able to get the car they want whether is it a total pimpmobile or a track car.

Porsche has the capacity to build the cars the way we want them with or without sunroof, etc.

Sunroof an option in Europe.

If this does not happen don't blame Porsche, blame Porsche Cars North America.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:35 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

And really what's the deal with Porsche's whole "we don't want to crash test/certify" crap. Don't tell that if they crash test what 15 cars, they can't make that "loss" up in 250 "specialty, limited edition" samples of for example the 997 GT3 RS not to mention about 1000+ "regular" GT3's and I don't know how many GT2's!!

And one last thing...just because the sunroof is standard doesn't mean that they won't have a delete option on for it...one can only hope.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:36 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

spider" sorry I hurt your feelings. Pretty sensitive for a NY guy. My point was not too you but to the others that expect Porsche to ignore the market.
Old 04-15-2006, 02:05 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The one thing I don't get yet is the "If you want a hardcore Porsche, get a Cup Car".

This is like saying if you want a hardcore Ferrari, buy a 333SP. A hardcore Mercedes, buy a MP4/21. A hardcore BMW buy a M3 GTR...

A Cup Car is not an option for everyone. It needs a trailer, it needs a tow vehicle and it can't be driven on the streets. If I was to get a dedicated non-street legal race car, it might not be a GT3 Cup, most likely an used Viper Competition Coupe, Radical, Formula Mazda, C5R or a pristine GT3RSR.

The Lotus Elise/Exige, 996 GT3, 996 GT2, 360CS still fit the hardcore street car definition. The only brand new car that fits that definition is the Elise/Exige, everything else is out of production. Hopefully the 997 GT3 RS, 997 GT2, F430CS fix this.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 68 Posts

When the 964 Carrera RS was sold in Europe, we got the RS America here. The rumors were that this was because the Euro RS "needed to be crash tested", was "too low to meet headlight laws" etc.

Then PCNA imported, with no crash testing or other drama and only a few changes such as American lighting etc 45 so-called Carrera Cup cars, which were really a Euro RS, for the Carrera Cup series they wanted to start

During the 1992 Porsche Parade, I was at a cocktail party with Fred Schwab then CEO of PCNA, and asked him why didn't we get a car like the Euro RS? His response was, "I didn't think I could sell enough of them over here and didn't want to risk it"

The market defines what PCNA imports and if they feel they lost GT3 sales for lack of a Sunroof, it will have a Sunroof, I am hopeful it will be on an "opt in" basis as in Europe now, or at least an "opt out" basis in the USA.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:02 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

answer to why dont i just get an optioned up carrera rather than gt3 with sunroof. i want the hi hp at even higher revs (im used to ferrari), shift light, sound of special engine/exhaust, body kit with central exhaust, suspension setup, steering feel, lack rear seat. knowing i have a 'special' car. why i dont want an optioned c2s is p options are a rip off and gt3 actually has value for the extra $.

i would also like a tt sunroof coupe (with lowered suspension) if it looked as good as gt3. my dream p is ruf car featured in road and track mag but dont want to spend gallardo $ for it. (heres another oportuninty to flame me guys )
Old 04-15-2006, 12:40 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Peter Parker,

Do you plan on tracking the car?
Old 04-15-2006, 12:42 PM
95spiderman
Burning Brakes

whats gt3 opinion around here re airbags and abs? they add weight, eliminate driver skills, not purist items at all. how about power steering, brakes, windows/seats, climate control, stereo? how do these abominations compare to sunroof ?? worse, equal, better?

btw noble had a great car at show. street legal with full roll cage/harness, no storage at all, no power anything, no abs/airbags, no electronic anything, etc. damn but it did have a stereo......

yes mj i hope to track in northeast about dozen times/year. and it will be my daily driver unless heavy snow where i will use sons audi s4

Quick Reply: 997 GT3 at NY Auto show?