Sponsored by:

Front end camber shims

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 01:09 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end camber shims

I think I've been reading here that 2mm shims are required to get -2.5 camber in the front end if you don't want your bolt holes enlarged or your struts turned?

Is this true?? Where do you get these shims. If you have them can anyone (dealer?) align to -2.5?

What kind of negative camber can you get with no shims and no mods ( bolt hole and strut moving)?

Give me knowledge!!! Please!!
Old 07-29-2005, 01:49 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

My car needed more shims on one side than the other to get to -2 degrees. They're readily available from any dealer, or from carnewal.com, etc.--

Geoff.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:59 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

I had tons of em made. Much less expensive then the insanely priced Porsche shims. What sizes do you need?

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Old 07-29-2005, 03:16 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

I don't know. I just got the car and have been reading about -2.5 camber being a good place to start for doing track events. It seems like shims work as well as strut moving and hole drilling but would be much less invasive and much easier to put back where they were! I gather -2.5 is somewhat more then the factory "stock" setting and something has to change to reach this adjustment point!

I'd expectr the shims come in multiple sizes, though I would suspect the shape is the same for all.

How much are they? Do they come in set with mutiple size sets(starter packs) or does one size (2mm for example) give enough basic change to the setting so the built in adjustability of the strut can make up the difference? Are the shapes the same for front and rear? Do they wear out?

Like I said...... Give me knowledge. I am ignorant, but eager to learn!
Old 07-29-2005, 03:33 PM
Premier Motorsp
Racer

They come in 1, 2, 5, and 10mm increments. They all have the same 'footprint' (front and rear). They don't wear out. $10 each for all sizes except 10mm. Those are $20.

99% of my 996 experience is on Cup cars so I have never set on up with 'only' -2.5 degree camber. It takes about 12mm worth of shims to get minus 4.5 so I estimate maybe 7mm for you.

Surely somebody has done this already?

Chris Cervelli
Premier Motorsports
Old 07-29-2005, 05:20 PM
healeyg
Instructor

the cup cars come with the strut rotated, so that's what they did to my Gt3 too at Farnbacher. no big deal to do it. zero clearance issues with the wheels and i'm running a butt-load of camber in the front
Old 07-29-2005, 08:47 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Does anyone know if rotating the strut has any warranty implications?? Also, can you put a 5mm and a 2mm together? Do they slide or move??
Old 07-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

rotating the top should not void your warranty...by rotating your tops you will be able to install a large tire...I have a 265/18 and may go with a 275/18...what you lose with rotating the top is some caster which would affect high speed stability....I have no problems at all with high speed stability with the rotated tops ..toe in and 3 deg camber....if you rotate the tops you will not need more shims.

Quick Reply: Front end camber shims