Sponsored by:

Track Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Track Alignment

no road use at all using MPSC . Can someone explain this to me?

Left camber -2.5 Front Right -3.4
caster 8.6 8.3
Toe 0.37 Deg. 0.18

Cross Camber 0.9 Deg.
Cross Caster 0.3 Deg
Total toe 0.56 Deg

Left Camber -2.3 Rear Right -3.2
Toe 0.14 0.14

Cross camber 0.9 Deg
Total Toe 0.28 Deg
Thrust angle 0.00 Deg

Does it make sense?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:25 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like something dedicated for a track with predominant left hand turns. Where did you find these settings?
Old 07-27-2005, 10:54 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

"Predominantly Left Hand Turns" is what I thought when I looked at it as well. We run clockwise at all the tracks I go to. These setting are on my car!
Alignment was done 7 track days ago and I haven't tried any shortcuts lately. It has not been knocked out of whack. Alignment was done by a guy who sets up a cup car. Just don't understand it. He did not give me a print out. I was curious so I went to a place that just installed two brand new Hunter machines.
This was the result.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:05 PM
DavidNR
Rennlist Member

That seems odd. You getting excessive inside wear on the right side? Maybe time for a third opinion.
I am using the Roland Kussumal settings, same a macfly had posted earlier this year. With the MPS2 street tires and it is working very well. 4 track days and very even wear and I drive to the tracks. You can search for Roland and find the settings easily and read about peoples experiences. Hope you get it sorted out. Good luck!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:05 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can't beat the smoke and mirrors with a bit of string thrown in for a good alignment BTW printers were only available on post 1980 equipment.

Why do you think that Bobby Julien went to Doncaster Racing (Fiorano) when he wanted to finally win Daytona.

And what was the last competetive car that Peter Overing and Veilleux drove?

You make me laugh Mike

Why not go with what is proven to work,,,I think that your car must be the most (mis)aligned in the region.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Racerron
Racer

Get your pointing finger ready for 19-21 Aug at Tremblant

FYI... -1.5 front camber
7.5 caster
6' toe in (Total)

-2.0 Rear camber
38' toe in (Total)

and I can keep up with anyone and still not wear tires too badly on the street. Imagine if I had the sweet set-up.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:19 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Default Ya, I guess you're right Ron.

Since I'm on my way to Mosport anyway......
Pointing Finger??? I said I was only 2 seconds a lap slower!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Racerron
Racer

Mike .....Take DavidNR's advice and get a 3rd or 4th or 5th opinion or just keep asking different people until someone gives you the answer you want to hear. Or buy a cup car and then the thing will be so fast that the alignment won't matter for DE's
Old 07-27-2005, 11:23 PM
Racerron
Racer

Slower than what If you're in the high 1:40's then 2 seconds slower you can keep your hand on the wheel but if you were in the low 1:50's then keep your window open
Old 07-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Default Slower than before I started mucking with the Alignment

I never thought there was anything wrong with it before but, the guy who is supposed to know better said it was off and now I've got this.
Old 07-28-2005, 12:04 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Mike - as I said go see Ron.

DavidNR nice of you to mention the settings suggested by Roland Kussmaul in an email to me which I posted here. They do work and Mike should use them. At least Ron gives you a print out of before and after. Oh and he calibrates his set up before doing the car.
Old 07-28-2005, 01:25 AM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Mike,
Something is freaky with either the equipment, the car, or the way it's set up. Something is awry. Do you know what shims are installed at the control arms, and how many of each? How many alignments do you have on your adjuster bolts and eccentrics? If it's more than say, 10, they're dying to be changed out. This + a fresh point of view should work wonders for keeping your car predictably correct. I have some settings that seem to work for the cars we set up if you'd like.
btw, do change out your transaxle fluid every 12 hours. It will be dark for sure.

Austin
Old 07-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

I would like to ring in on this a little but not to start a debate.

For what its worth Mike I know how important it is to have a solid feel behind the wheel. I too struggled with finding a SINGLE set up that I could continue to progress with.

Your alignment looks off to me (FWIW) and even if it isn't you dont like the way it feels so you will never be fast with it. This form will provide you with many opinions, some right FOR YOU and some wrong FOR YOU. You need play with things a little to find what works for you and your driving style so that you can be truly comfortable behind the wheel. I have have had Ron put Rolland's set up on my car and I enjoyed it very much. Ron did excellent work and it was an amazing improvement over stock. I found it to be an excellent starting point but ultimately it did not suit my needs when the speeds picked up. I now have a Fiorano set up and it provided me with confidence(real or percieved it doesnt matter) that allowed me to push the car a little harder and ultimately go a little faster without increasing my feeling of risk.

Some of the replies you recieved seem to mock you for trying something new and playing with things a little. I dont agree with that at all. We have to play with these cars to push forward. Although your recent change seems to be somewhat a backwards step I would just chalk it up to part of the process. I know that you have been a student of this game for a while now. Try everything, spend lots of money and have fun doing it.

Mr. Green, I would be happy to test your theory about keeping up with anyone on the track with your -1.5 camber setting My suggestion is that you bring a fresh set of tires and your passing finger. See you there!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:28 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Apex Late
I would like to ring in on this a little but not to start a debate.

For what its worth Mike I know how important it is to have a solid feel behind the wheel. I too struggled with finding a SINGLE set up that I could continue to progress with.

Your alignment looks off to me (FWIW) and even if it isn't you dont like the way it feels so you will never be fast with it. This form will provide you with many opinions, some right FOR YOU and some wrong FOR YOU. You need play with things a little to find what works for you and your driving style so that you can be truly comfortable behind the wheel. I have have had Ron put Rolland's set up on my car and I enjoyed it very much. Ron did excellent work and it was an amazing improvement over stock. I found it to be an excellent starting point but ultimately it did not suit my needs when the speeds picked up. I now have a Fiorano set up and it provided me with confidence(real or percieved it doesnt matter) that allowed me to push the car a little harder and ultimately go a little faster without increasing my feeling of risk.

Some of the replies you recieved seem to mock you for trying something new and playing with things a little. I dont agree with that at all. We have to play with these cars to push forward. Although your recent change seems to be somewhat a backwards step I would just chalk it up to part of the process. I know that you have been a student of this game for a while now. Try everything, spend lots of money and have fun doing it.

Mr. Green, I would be happy to test your theory about keeping up with anyone on the track with your -1.5 camber setting My suggestion is that you bring a fresh set of tires and your passing finger. See you there!

yeah!!! even racerron says to go to fiorano if you want to win daytona so why get an alignment from racerron. many guys in quebec are a bunch of retards who think they know what to do and dont. go to fiorano and get it done right but then you will endure the quebec old fart wrath. ( exceptions here being keith and mike k who have more brains and class than the rest of the rennsport tools)
its hard enough to afford the car and take the time to go to the rack without dealing with a bunch of windbag know it alls. now i hear all the old farts are using pilot cups as well...shocking!!!!
get a life please.
keith good foryou for speaking up and mike k git r done!!
see you bitches in alabama at barber if you can tear your wrinkly asses from Tremblant where you " feel" fast
suckers!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Apex Late
Instructor

Noble,

Thanks for the support but as I mentioned I was not trying to cause a debate and I am sorry but I can not support your negative Quebec/Rennsport comments.

I will be the first to say that the Rennsport group is a great group of guys to run with and I consider them my friends. I can not support their bashing in any way!

Quick Reply: Track Alignment