Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on 997GT3 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 01:08 AM
WULF
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be bad luck for you blokes. I'm waiting for the homologation car for the 997 Cup Car whatever it's called - RS probably if your right.
Old 04-27-2005, 01:14 AM
cigarette1
Instructor

Do they really need to homologate a Cup car?

G
Old 04-27-2005, 01:18 AM
WULF
Instructor

Originally Posted by cigarette1
Do they really need to homologate a Cup car?

G
They need to homologate the 997 car because it will be raced in GT races as well as Cup races.
Old 04-27-2005, 02:04 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jax911TT
[--cut--] but as far as I am concerned the decision is a given. The GT3 represents an "enthusiasts’” car. There is no BSing that sector of Porsche's followers.
I wouldn't bet my life on it. Look what BMW did to the E30 M3. If what you said is true and only 10-15 percent of the GT3's see the track, the next GT3 will be a model targeted to those who likes Porsche as a status symbol (The other 85 percent??? You know how attractive that number is in dollars!). But that doesn't mean no dry sump.

The bottom line is that Porsche and its shareholders don't give a damn about car enthusiasts. If they do there would be no Cayenne and Turbo Cabriolets.

By the way, who were the Porsche’s intended customers for the GT2’s??? Wayne Gretsky?
Old 04-27-2005, 02:08 AM
///Mous3
Burning Brakes

Question

Originally Posted by WULF
They need to homologate the 997 car because it will be raced in GT races as well as Cup races.
All 997's or just the GT3's or just the GT3RS's???
Old 04-27-2005, 03:24 AM
WULF
Instructor

Originally Posted by ///Mous3
All 997's or just the GT3's or just the GT3RS's???
997GT3 Cup Car
Old 04-27-2005, 03:57 AM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

I was under the impression that the cup car had little to do with homologation and that Porsche used GT3s and GT3 RSs (street cars) to homologate the recent GT racing cars. The most recent homologation car was the GT3 RS (street car) to let Porsche use the GT3RSR race car, but the previous GT3s were used to the homogate the GT3R and GT3RS race cars respectively. So if they want to have a 997 GT3 race car they need a 997 GT3 street car that has enough race car goodies so that the real race car will benefit from them.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:35 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

the 996 GT3 RS homologation is good for 5 years after production ceased, so by the time there is a homologation problem, the 998 will be in production.
There is NO need to homologate the 997 Cup car. Given PAG's habit of building these in batches of 200 or so, it might not be too big a stretch to say that it begets itself in homologation terms. As soon as the car goes racing under FIA-ish rules, think Spa or Daytona, either the rules are changed or the PCCB brakes have to be replaced by iron ones, to say nothing of the frankly dumb rules banning centre lock wheels, or have these been binned at long last?
When Cup cars race in the VLN (Long Distance Championship at the Nuerburgring), or similar series, they are given a class of their own, with minimal required changes to the original specification.
A big and expensive change, that is a long time coming, is the switch to an FIA approved fuel cell, only required in some events to date.
R+C
Old 04-27-2005, 10:23 AM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a quote from RC at rennteam. He is in Germany and he always has the most accurate information.

"1. PSM seems to be confirmed
2. Power is still rumoured to be 381 HP like on the "old" GT3 but I expect at least 400 HP
3. GT3 RS is expected to have more power, no PSM and maybe a sequential shifting system after it is introduced on the 997 Turbo.

We still don't have ANY info on the used engine for the GT3. The GT3 RS seems to get the "classic" M64 engine block but it may be possible that the GT3 gets a M97 derivate.
Again: we have no official confirmation on the engine used.

GT3 rs will probably be the old 3.6 motor. GT3 will be 3.8 with PSM. Ugly.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colm
I think the next GT3 (in NA) will be a "special" version of the Cayman. We'll see!
I agree.

IMO they will continue to run the 996 GT3RSR till they need to homologate a 998 or Cayman based car. Lets not forget that they will also have the prototype car to focus on.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:30 AM
geoffucla
Instructor

Unfortunately I don't know. I brought my hotlap timer, but not the transponder. I figured someone else would have one, but apparently not. I'm sure it's pretty quick. Me and the other GT3 were lapping at about the same pace (both in stock trim on stock tires). He had just bought his, and he came from a C2 cab with MPS cup tires. He thought he was already faster in the GT3, and I think he said he used to do 2.04 or 2.06 in the cab. So, I'm not sure what that makes, but somewhere around 2 minutes I guess. I don't have any other reference to compare to, so I'm not sure how fast that would be--

Geoff.
Old 04-27-2005, 06:58 PM
WULF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Yargk
I was under the impression that the cup car had little to do with homologation and that Porsche used GT3s and GT3 RSs (street cars) to homologate the recent GT racing cars. The most recent homologation car was the GT3 RS (street car) to let Porsche use the GT3RSR race car, but the previous GT3s were used to the homogate the GT3R and GT3RS race cars respectively. So if they want to have a 997 GT3 race car they need a 997 GT3 street car that has enough race car goodies so that the real race car will benefit from them.
All true. What I was saying(not very well) is that there will be a 997GT3 road car to homologate the current 997GT3 race car sold by Porsche Motorsports. My reference to the Cup car is to the motorsport 997GT3 which is used as the cup car( and no homologation needed) but will also be used if it already hasn't been in GT racing.
Old 04-27-2005, 07:05 PM
WULF
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nordschleife
the 996 GT3 RS homologation is good for 5 years after production ceased, so by the time there is a homologation problem, the 998 will be in production.
There is NO need to homologate the 997 Cup car. Given PAG's habit of building these in batches of 200 or so, it might not be too big a stretch to say that it begets itself in homologation terms. As soon as the car goes racing under FIA-ish rules, think Spa or Daytona, either the rules are changed or the PCCB brakes have to be replaced by iron ones, to say nothing of the frankly dumb rules banning centre lock wheels, or have these been binned at long last?
When Cup cars race in the VLN (Long Distance Championship at the Nuerburgring), or similar series, they are given a class of their own, with minimal required changes to the original specification.
A big and expensive change, that is a long time coming, is the switch to an FIA approved fuel cell, only required in some events to date.
R+C
Anyone on this board bought a 997GT3 Cup car? My understanding is that they come with a certificate from Porsche saying whether or not the car will be homologated. Should answer one question anyway
Old 04-27-2005, 09:11 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW! I hope I wasn't wrong about the GT3 engine:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/200396-997-gt3.html

All sources indicated a 3.6 dry sump with 400 HP.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:51 PM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by WULF
Anyone on this board bought a 997GT3 Cup car? My understanding is that they come with a certificate from Porsche saying whether or not the car will be homologated. Should answer one question anyway
997 Cup cars are only sold to Supercup race teams. Who made up your silly homologation story - this car does not need homologation?

R+C

Quick Reply: Update on 997GT3 engine