Sponsored by:

Titanium lug nut group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by db_gt3
Exactly! POUNDS difference between one tire or another. I'm not trying to give you a hard time quartermile, its just not my thing and I personally feel the money would be better spent on other things. They are overpriced; but alas, some have enough money for anything they can think of spending it on. I am not one of them...yet!

I'll be at Willow on thursday, hope to see you there; lug bolts and all!

-db
LOL ... I don't have the lug bolts yet, they will go on there along with the HRE competitions and the carbon decklid. For Thursday I WILL be running with the muffler bypass though so it will be a blast!

I think once you get the weight saving bug every little bit of extra weight is annoying. Just to give you an example I already have a carbon fiber hood but it bothers me that the hinge is not Aluminum yet... saves about 1-2lbs. There are many such items that although individualy insignificant, add up to a hundred pounds or more ... ala GT3 RS.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:46 PM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mike, did you already order the bolts?

I actually need to order them. The factory lug bolts are very expensive. I'm going to replace my factory ones with these Titanium ones. Then I have to cut the collars on my stock ones to install them in the custom longer bolts for my BBS Mag wheels, because I don't want to switch to studs.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Mikey
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

I actually need to order them. The factory lug bolts are very expensive. I'm going to replace my factory ones with these Titanium ones. Then I have to cut the collars on my stock ones to install them in the custom longer bolts for my BBS Mag wheels, because I don't want to switch to studs.
I don't get my wheels for several more weeks, so you may want to go ahead if you need those sooner. Anyhow we likely need more people in a group buy to get the price down.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:21 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael, I'm still interested too at the $380 price, but not at $600.
How many folks actually said yes?
It's kind of a pain that the thread got clogged up with people saying no!
Old 03-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Mikey
Racer

Originally Posted by macfly
Michael, I'm still interested too at the $380 price, but not at $600.
How many folks actually said yes?
It's kind of a pain that the thread got clogged up with people saying no!
It's been a fun thread .. the No's were more entertaining to read than the Yes's.
Looks like we have about 8 people so far. I know Larry really wants a set, but he just doesn't want to admit it
Old 03-08-2005, 01:31 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by quartermile
I know Larry really wants a set, but he just doesn't want to admit it
Now if they were titanium screw-in studs and lug nuts. Actually, I am going to switch over to screw-in studs for ease of wheel changing, etc.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:40 PM
Mikey
Racer

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Now if they were titanium screw-in studs and lug nuts. Actually, I am going to switch over to screw-in studs for ease of wheel changing, etc.
I saw the Titanium lug nuts at HRE yesterday ... light as air almost, but I think they werre for the NSX. I did ask if they had them for GT3 and seems German cars don't use them --- at least by default.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:46 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

Check out prestige international, they fabricate all sorts of custom lugs, excellent quality, cheap too. Ask for Chris Arnold 800-854-6770
prestigewheel.com
They made me a custom set to go with some spacers I was using, 5$ each.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:05 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

just a thought
the PCA and POC require either steel lug nuts or stock (for the car) lug bolts.

Me i need to put in my stud conversion kit (with light-o open top steel lug nuts)

My wedding ring is Ti - though HUGE weight savings over the stock gold one - does that count
Old 03-08-2005, 05:29 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Didnt I already explain to you that your hood isnt really carbon fiber?

Doesnt it weigh 10 lbs or so? More like fiberglass with "carbon look". Or just a wet lay up carbon/fabric/resin contraption. Dont get me started. You say you got six guys interested in paying $600 a set for lug bolts? Why not get six more guys, pool that money and get a tool made to cure genuine pre-preg hoods with? I will source the composites house to do the lay-up and run the project through in exchange for two hoods and the rights to make as many more as I want off the tool.

You would save about 30-40 times more weight than you would with the lug bolts.

I'm serious.

-db
Old 03-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Mikey
Racer

Didnt I already explain to you that your hood isnt really carbon fiber?

Doesnt it weigh 10 lbs or so? More like fiberglass with "carbon look". Or just a wet lay up carbon/fabric/resin contraption. Dont get me started. You say you got six guys interested in paying $600 a set for lug bolts? Why not get six more guys, pool that money and get a tool made to cure genuine pre-preg hoods with? I will source the composites house to do the lay-up and run the project through in exchange for two hoods and the rights to make as many more as I want off the tool.

You would save about 30-40 times more weight than you would with the lug bolts.

I'm serious.

-db

Well, it weighs 20lbs less than stock and will be painted along with the carbon decklid so what difference does it make how it was made? How about a CF door panel like the one on the Challenge Stradales? That's like a 30lbs savings on both doors. TRG makes one but it's ugly and made to accomodate a full cage.

Bad photo, but you get the idea:

Old 03-08-2005, 06:15 PM
db_gt3
Instructor

Yeah, once you paint it the weight savings will be marginal. But the carbon fiber panels on the Stradale are honest-to-goodness cured-in-an-autoclave pre-preg panels; and that makes them special .

The TRG stuff is most likely just more fiberglass stuff.

-db
Old 03-08-2005, 06:36 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Where can one get a stud conversion kit?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Oh yeah, I have a lot of experience with aerospace and automotive hardware and those are WAY overpriced. If I thought it was worth a look I could source them at less than one third that price; but it's not worth it, so I won't bother. At $380.00 you are paying mostly for the graphics and a nice finish.

db is right. I've got a connection at a large machine shop that works with titanium. If someone can get me the specs (or a rough estimate) for the lug bolts, I can get you guys a quote on having them custom made. I bet it's a lot cheaper than what you guys are looking at spending right now. All we'd need is the cash and a bolt to pattern it after and we'd be all set.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:32 PM
Mikey
Racer

I would be hesitant using some random hardware/vendors on this fast of a car. Presumably Poggipolini has done some R&D because they source this stuff to Ferrari and F1 teams. HRE guys use Poggipolini hardware on the Competition wheels and had problems with other vendors. db regarding the hood .. I am only painting one side .... may be even skip primer .. how much weight can that possibly add?

Quick Reply: Titanium lug nut group buy?