Sponsored by:

Titanium lug nut group buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 07:09 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 71 Posts

I think the Vette comes with gold plated titanium chains.

Come to think of it what's worse.......$380 lug bolts or any of the over priced carbon fiber, leather, stiching, etc options that Porsche has on their order sheet. If the lugs were OEM how many of us would have checked that box.

I am putting this $380 towards some 100+ octane race gas at the next few DE's.

Chet
-lotsa leather, stitching and carbon fiber
Old 03-07-2005, 08:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are too much. Titanium lug bolts! How about some titanium wheel weights? They're a lot lighter than the lead ones, and think of all the rotational inertia that you will save, those weights being all the way out at the periphery of the wheels and all.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:51 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In my class racing days, we would laugh our ***** off when we saw a tricked out, aluminum/fiberglass everything car and a 400# guy behind the wheel.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Mikey
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
You guys are too much. Titanium lug bolts! How about some titanium wheel weights? They're a lot lighter than the lead ones, and think of all the rotational inertia that you will save, those weights being all the way out at the periphery of the wheels and all.

LOL ... what the hell is Titanium wheel weights. Is that a joke? I mean if you need an ounce to balance the wheel what difference does it make what material it's made of. Somone please explain this one to me.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael,

Larry is only pulling your leg here!

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:15 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Michael,

Larry is only pulling your leg here!

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Aww, thanks a lot Johannes. I was just getting tooled up to sell them too. Bet ya there would have been a big demand. Could have made millions. Oh well.

Anyone interested in Titanium shift levers? Shift like the pros, lightning fast due to less shifter inertia and less shifter lever flex. Also reduces car weight.

Last edited by Larry Herman; 03-08-2005 at 12:35 AM. Reason: A moment of clarity.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:54 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually, I replaced the stock shifter on my '02 S2000 for a titanium one. It was lighter, more precise and looks sweet.

Seriously, the 1 piece BBS Magnesium wheel weigh something like 16 lbs, then you add spacers and wheel studs and you finish with a 19 lbs wheel.

I prefer to get the 18 lbs HRE Competition C22 (the lightest one) and reduce an extra 0.5 lb per wheel (Ti bolts) at a fraction of the cost of the BBS wheels.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:07 AM
Mikey
Racer

OK, let's look at some more silly mods on a silly car, the GT3 RS:

1. Stick on Porsche crest on CF hood (saves ??)
2. CF mirror covers instead of plastic ones (costs $1850) saves ??
3. CF wing (saves 4 lbs at a cost of $2500)
4. Holes in the bumper !?

So Europe gets the bad to the bone GT3 RS, and we get dumb a$$ sports seats stuffed in our GT3s. NOT in my GT3.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:12 AM
Mikey
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT
Actually, I replaced the stock shifter on my '02 S2000 for a titanium one. It was lighter, more precise and looks sweet.

Seriously, the 1 piece BBS Magnesium wheel weigh something like 16 lbs, then you add spacers and wheel studs and you finish with a 19 lbs wheel.

I prefer to get the 18 lbs HRE Competition C22 (the lightest one) and reduce an extra 0.5 lb per wheel (Ti bolts) at a fraction of the cost of the BBS wheels.
I was at HRE factory this morning for a custom fit on the Competitions. They measrued for an exact fit ... 11.5" rears and 9" fronts!! Awesome company!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:26 AM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Originally Posted by NJ-GT

Does your car ever even see the track? I'm not trying to be ostentatious, but are you really that good a driver where the only thing holding you back is 0.5 lbs. of rotating mass? You could save more weight by wearing thinner socks. If you're really serious about lightening up, why not ditch the posh interior?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:36 AM
Mikey
Racer

Originally Posted by AeroGT3RedWing
Does your car ever even see the track? I'm not trying to be ostentatious, but are you really that good a driver where the only thing holding you back is 0.5 lbs. of rotating mass? You could save more weight by wearing thinner socks. If you're really serious about lightening up, why not ditch the posh interior?
Can't speak for NJ-GT but I track at least once a month. If you want to feel what -250lbs feels like come down to Willow Springs on Thursday. It's like having a turbo on a GT3 .. incredible!
Old 03-08-2005, 02:37 AM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Since I weigh 142 lbs at 5'11 ', I will be faster in most all of your cars no matter WHAT you do to lighten them. I pity the 240+ lb guy as I can feel the difference in acceleration just having my 110 lb wife riding in the car !
Old 03-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

hmm if you;re into saving grams why not fill the tires with helium. You can use the leftovers to inflate balloons for the kids
Old 03-08-2005, 11:00 AM
db_gt3
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cupcar
I think the main reason to buy these is because they are cool, and a work of art, not because you feel removing 6.6 oz from near the center of rotation of the wheel will improve your lap times.

Different brands of tires weigh pounds differently than other brands and this is weight removed from well away from the center of rotation where it really counts and nobody ever complains about their car slowing down because of heavier tires.
Exactly! POUNDS difference between one tire or another. I'm not trying to give you a hard time quartermile, its just not my thing and I personally feel the money would be better spent on other things. They are overpriced; but alas, some have enough money for anything they can think of spending it on. I am not one of them...yet!

I'll be at Willow on thursday, hope to see you there; lug bolts and all!

-db
Old 03-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
hmm if you;re into saving grams why not fill the tires with helium. You can use the leftovers to inflate balloons for the kids
...and leave the caps off the valve stems.

Quick Reply: Titanium lug nut group buy?