Sponsored by:

GT3RS clutch and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 09:15 PM
Ghost
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3RS clutch and flywheel

Has anyone installed the RS clutch and flywheel. I've read many articles regarding the GT3RS and most authors seem to think the above makes a world of difference. I was wondering if it's worth the $$$$? How does it feel? Do the revs rise and fall that much quicker? Also, how much do you think it would cost to install? Is it a very difficult process or do you think I, having the mechanical ability of a gnat, may be able to handle it ?
Old 02-02-2005, 09:19 PM
vegasgolf98
Racer

A follow up question to this is "Has anyone remapped or had to remap the internal computer to adjust to the difference between the SMF and the DMF"
Old 02-02-2005, 11:42 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can get a race tilton clutch from TRG that my be a little cheaper then the RS Clutch. From what I have heard its a lot lighter and provides faster rev's
Old 02-03-2005, 11:18 AM
DCLee
Pro

You don't want a race clutch, you particularly don't want a Tilton triple-disc carbon race clutch, and you don't want to spend $7-10k for a clutch-- unless, of course, you're pro racing. The RS sport clutch and flywheel are fine, you have options on the pressure plate.

Lee in D.C.
2004 RS+ project
Old 02-03-2005, 01:47 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 203 Posts

Those race clutches-4 puck/6 puck man talk about engaging 1st gear. No such thing as easing the clutch on those-it's launch and go. You'll die from just daily street driving. If you even try easing the clutch it goes RAP RAP RAP and very hard on the drivetrain with street driving. Can't wait til my clutch fries so I can get the RS clutch/flywheel setup. IS it true to install engine needs to be pulled out and all? How much labor involved costwise? Mike
Old 02-03-2005, 08:25 PM
gtdrei
Pro

I have, but I didn't do it myself. IMHO, if you were going to only one mod to your GT3, this is it. Parts are about 2K, labor about 8.5 hours. If you plan to do it, consider the pressure plate from the 3.8 RSR, big improvement.
You don't drop the engine, you drop the gearbox. The car feels as if it's picked up 10hp, no drivability issues. I actually think the clutch is easier to use.
Old 02-03-2005, 09:10 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts

Where can I get the RS clutch and flywheel? Carnewal? Anywhere else?
What is the difference with the 3.8 RSR pressure plate?
Is the pedal pressure firmer or softer? I love the firm clutch pedal in the GT3 in comparison with the wimpy feel of my 997S.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:40 PM
gtdrei
Pro

Thumbs up

Where can I get the RS clutch and flywheel? Carnewal? Anywhere else?
What is the difference with the 3.8 RSR pressure plate?
Is the pedal pressure firmer or softer? I love the firm clutch pedal in the GT3 in comparison with the wimpy feel of my 997S.
Matt,

PM me for a complete parts list. I'm sure that you can get them from Mike Schatz at Schatz Motorsports , or Gert. Most of the parts have 964 prefixes, so they're not specific to 996 cars.
The RSR pressure plate is just more robust than the others, I'm told , and is used heavily in endurance race cars, you don't need it, stock is fine, and for a low mileage car, probably don't have to change it. There's no difference in pedal pressure. It seems that it's easier to get going in traffic, with the RS flywheel and there was a 'sticky' feeling in the stock clutch (also on my 996TT) that's now gone. Big improvement all around. It makes more chatter noise.

Robin

Robin
Old 02-04-2005, 12:13 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 613 Posts

I should just start working for them, but DEVEK does stock everthing for the upgrade. That is where I get my stuff from. They are a board sponsor and the prices are geat.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thumbs up Labor Time

Wow, there's a lot of interest...

The install for the RS clutch is about 5 hours.
Kits price about $1375, and usually in stock (with us anyway). It does use parts going back to the 964 RS cars. The trick is to make sure the kit includes the right bearings, hardware, etc.

Selling a flywheel and some clutch parts is easy, but carrying correct and complete hardware/all bearings/ring-gear kit (with rear main seal also...in case anyone feels like replacing at the time) requires testing, quality control, and product knowledge.

The benefit will be faster time to power. Output remains the same, but acceleration and throttle response get even better. The clutch will engage faster as well, there won't be the normally high rate of slip with the twin mass flywheel, and you'll have to get used to getting on the gas faster to keep it alive...the lightweight flywheel will make the car easier to stall from starting in 1st gear.

Cos, thanks for the plug, we always appreciate the positive side of the customer experience, and strive to make it the only side of the experience!

Austin
Old 02-04-2005, 05:14 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My dealer quoted me 8 hrs.....in a Corvette mag they did a test with a lighter flywheel and found a slight increase HP, but it was alot quicker in acceleration.

It makes sence that the engine will have 20 pounds less to accelerate thus making it quicker.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:38 PM
Caleb
Advanced

I'd have to second the plug for devek (no affiliation, other than satisfied customer). They do great work and their customer service is top notch.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Ghost
Intermediate

Robin, Devek, thank you so much for the info. Devek, when you refer to the "kit" I assume you're referring to the clutch only?
Old 02-05-2005, 10:01 AM
NJ-GT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

IMO for a GT3 the RS flywheel is a must. The chatter noise is minimal.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:14 AM
Ghost
Intermediate

NJ-GT: Did you get your flywheel installed in the Jersey area? I'm in Lancaster, PA and need a good shop for the flywheel install and alignment. I'm not opposed to driving a couple hours to a good shop.

Quick Reply: GT3RS clutch and flywheel