Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT3 Rear Jack Point;; Request Image!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 11:53 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Default GT3 Rear Jack Point;; Request Image!

I've read a number of threads about how to put the GT3 (and the 996 and 993) on four jack stands to change the oil, clean the cosmoline off the engine and the like. There have been some detailed descriptions of where to put the jack pad on the engine, but I'd really like to have an image of the right place to do that, and I've not found a good one for the GT3. Could you post one to this thread, please?
Old 12-02-2004, 12:16 PM
adjohnson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The question will be if you have a jack low and long enough to reach the engine casing which has been discussed previously. I did not, so I nailed together 2X8s in a pattern to make 4 - 12X16X3 blocks. I used the rear jacking point to lift one side of the car. I put one block under front and rear. Did the same with the right side. It was fast and safe using the designated jacking areas. When complete, the car was level and I could reach the access points for the oil change and cleaning/inspection. This method has been mentioned in previous threads, but it seems to the safest.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:21 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

adjohnson, what do you use to keep the car from rolling off the blocks? The parking brake?

This should work for oil and engine cleaning, but not for tires. Many say that it is safe to lift the rear by the engine, and I would like to see where they do that!
Old 12-02-2004, 06:53 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here is an image of the rear up on two jack stands using the main suspension cross beam member. Put the floor jack pad under the crankcase in the center where both halves of the case meet. Jack it up far enough to put the stands under the cross member. Be careful not to jack the rear to high for the nose splitter will hit the ground because of the vehicle tilt.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Great photo! I hope that the next time someone has their GT3 up in the air they could take and post a photo of the crankcase in the center where both halves of the case meet where the jack should go. There was a post a while ago that there is actually a plate attached there possibly designed to mate with the jack.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:34 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
four jack stands...
I'd use six...
Old 04-09-2005, 09:13 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

In seaching for a torque value in the service manual last night I came upon a caution to not support the car by the engine, to only use the four jack points. That's hard without a lift! Many people here say it's ok to lift by jacking the engine. Anyone have a bad experience doing that?
Old 04-09-2005, 01:42 PM
Monique
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FWIW, my car is a 993 and I always jack via the engine case. But I put a hockey puck in the cup to prevent metal to metal contact. Gives me a bit more peace of mind.
Old 04-09-2005, 03:53 PM
bhensarl
Jarhead
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
In seaching for a torque value in the service manual last night I came upon a caution to not support the car by the engine, to only use the four jack points.
What does the manual say, specifically? If it warns against "supporting" the car by the engine, that's different from "raising" the car by the engine only long enough to "support" it with jack stands.
Brian
Old 04-09-2005, 05:44 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Its the hydraulic motor mounts that you have to worry about, its not unheard of for them to fail and leak out when your jacking by the engine.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:44 PM
tstanding
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just jack it by using the rear suspension frame which goes under the engine?
Old 04-10-2005, 08:42 PM
RJFabCab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rockitman
here is an image of the rear up on two jack stands using the main suspension cross beam member. Put the floor jack pad under the crankcase in the center where both halves of the case meet. Jack it up far enough to put the stands under the cross member. Be careful not to jack the rear to high for the nose splitter will hit the ground because of the vehicle tilt.

Nice pic, rockit. What exactly are you doing to your machine in this pic?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:30 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tstanding
Why not just jack it by using the rear suspension frame which goes under the engine?
You can't get a floor jack to reach that far under the car, at least I haven't seen one yet. Chris, give me a call & you can come over & throw your car up on the lift & check it out. It's easy to see the jack points and good places to support it from then.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 305 Likes on 211 Posts

A easy and quick way is to purchase 2 floor jack (low profile), put one on the right side and one on the left (factory pads) and raise her up.. You can then position two jack stands similar to where rockitman placed his on the lower suspension cross bar.. I don't like jacking from the case. If the jack slips on the seam of the case, your toast..
Old 04-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Brian, it took me a while to find the reference, but it appears in several parts of the service manual where the vehicle is to be raised. It has the exclamation mark in the triangle and says "Caution! Raise the vehicle only at the prescribe jacking points!"

Larry, I'll take you up on that offer at some point soon. This weekend is my firm retreat (oh, goody....) and next weekend is Shenandoah! Alignment at Performance Automotive this Thurs.

Quick Reply: GT3 Rear Jack Point;; Request Image!