Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

modena vs.elise vs.nobel

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 05:31 PM
XSpeedFreakX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both the standard 360 and the CS have a more comfortable ride than the GT3. This might be why some say they are not as "focused".(ie. adjustable dampers) The Ferrari's make up for this in so many ways though, that it's impossible to knock them. If you like to go beyond the limits of your car though, the 360 can be edgy and not as communicative as the GT3.
Old 10-30-2004, 08:38 PM
tdf360
Pro

Originally Posted by XSpeedFreakX
If you like to go beyond the limits of your car though, the 360 can be edgy and not as communicative as the GT3.
Hmm. I don't have any time in the GT3, but I find the 360 not edgy at all and very communicative, right up to the point of losing it (although I've never actually gone beyond that point, I'm confident I've gotten close).

Gary
Old 10-31-2004, 02:00 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tdf360
I bow to your superior experience, Ray, since I've never driven a CS, but I still can't get over how pleased I am with my garden-variety Modena at the track. Beatifully balanced, very responsive, sounds great...I'm going to have to cadge a ride in a CS soon.

Gary
I do agree with you that the 360 and CS are both very nice because of their mid-engine layout and wider track. The CS is just louder, stiffer, lower, and generally more intense. I've also been in a 360 Challenge car on the track and that is yet another notch or two up on the intense scale!

Regarding handling at the limit, it's true that the 360/CS is kind of knife-edge. You can slide the rear out easily and it doesn't feel as planted when you are trying to power out of a corner compared to a 911. (I have spun mine and purposely hung out the rear to find the limits.) But it makes up for that in other ways.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:13 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Didn't bother reading all posts so this might have been suggested earlier. Buy a Radical, basta!

Ciao,

Johannes E.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:01 AM
perrys7342
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went with a friend who wanted to look at and drive a Noble M12. Took a ride with the Distributor on twisty back roads (my friend drove it also). Unbelievable handling, acceleration, suspension compliance and dynamics, and stopping power almost like a slot car. Reminded me of the 935 ride I took with the test driver at Weissach years ago except much quicker, easier control, and there was minimal turbo lag. Assembly quality was very good on several we looked at...much better than an Elise, but not up to Porsche 911 standards. Talked to a new owner (Texas MD) picking his up...he'd just dumped a 911 996 TT and was going to use the Noble strictly for track. Car was about $85K with the Ford VTEC powerplant which is the basic engine they come with from the plant in South Africa. If you can afford a car just for the "non professional" track driver, it seems like a bargain. Most of those awaiting delivery were getting upgrade engines of your choice.

Perry (42 Years of Porsche Ownership)
Old 10-31-2004, 05:43 AM
InterSpool
Advanced

Surprised no one has mentioned the Ultima GTR. How can you go wrong with 89k turn key project supercar. Has the fastest 0-100-0 record.

http://www.ultimacars.com/
Old 10-31-2004, 10:42 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Spent some time lookin garound the website, what an amazing machine, for around 140K you'l end up with something incredible to drive, but I suspect zero resale value as the brand isn't yet supported over here, this was the most telling line on the whole site..........

Ultima seeks US business partner to support our expansion in the US market.
Expressions of interest are invited from suitably qualified individuals.
Please respond to . . . . . . .

Managing Director
Ultima Sports Ltd

(I sent an email to the one man I know who might, so who knows, maybe we'll see a facilitator over here soon!)

Last edited by macfly; 10-31-2004 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:32 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by AW
The problem in my experience is that the more you enjoy the track, the more you push your car and the more things break at the track. The first time you are stuck, or almost stuck, you start thinking about a trailer.

Another issue is tires since you are obviously limited to DOT models. I originally bought the C4S to drive to the track because I was tired of towing but then, I would hate to drive it with anything but slicks.

AW
This is exactly why I ordered a Trailex trailer last week. I'm at the point where I'm pushing my GT-3 pretty hard at the track and it would nice to know that if something broke or if I corded a tire by going off the track (I've seen a fair amount of this) that I would have a way to get the car home myself.

Also, for traveling to the further away events (like Thundderhill, Spring Mtn, Laguna) it's nice to not have to drive there on the freeway in a car that is not that comfortable (at least compared to my Ford F-150). If I trailer I can bring my Easy-up tent, cooler and so many other comforts. And I will not be wearing out my expensive track tires on the street.

But so far I want to keep a street legal car because I still enjoy the occasional junt with my freinds on the weekends.

-Kevin
Old 11-01-2004, 01:38 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am surprised thzat no one brought up the mitsu evo or STI as another alternative. 300 hp and disposable price.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:59 PM
fahren affair
Pro

Originally Posted by CodeRed
I am surprised thzat no one brought up the mitsu evo or STI as another alternative. 300 hp and disposable price.
i'm asumming you've driven both. would you want one? early 996s can be had for close to the same money ($35k). with minimal upgrades, an older 996 would make i great 'beater' for the track.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:07 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i'm asumming you've driven both. would you want one? early 996s can be had for close to the same money ($35k). with minimal upgrades, an older 996 would make i great 'beater' for the track.

Actually I have driven the EVO which is still interesting. A lot more HP than the Elise.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:26 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Kurves
This is exactly why I ordered a Trailex trailer last week. I'm at the point where I'm pushing my GT-3 pretty hard at the track and it would nice to know that if something broke or if I corded a tire by going off the track (I've seen a fair amount of this) that I would have a way to get the car home myself.

Also, for traveling to the further away events (like Thundderhill, Spring Mtn, Laguna) it's nice to not have to drive there on the freeway in a car that is not that comfortable (at least compared to my Ford F-150). If I trailer I can bring my Easy-up tent, cooler and so many other comforts. And I will not be wearing out my expensive track tires on the street.

But so far I want to keep a street legal car because I still enjoy the occasional junt with my freinds on the weekends.

-Kevin
I did a similar thing.

I love tracking my 944 Turbo S and started pushing it hard. Since my car was old things were more likely to fail. Also I really did not want lose the car to and off track incident. I actually had one that car where I went and hit a fence. Lucky for me the fenced moved and the car did not have scratch.

Well then I turned to an old 944 and built into a track only car. It was fanstic the feeling of that car vs my Turbo S. No concern about breaking the or anything. Just take it out and flog it. It some thing breaks. Then drag it home and fix it. Get a dent in panel. Hammer it out. Damaged paint and track rash? Bah.. who cares. Plenty of space for Tools, ez-up, cooler with food chairs, etc

Of course I have also go to the other end of the specturm too. I used to autocross my 944-race car. It was fun, but the effort to trailer to and from the autocross, change tires,etc all was just more than the limited run time was worth. Then I picked up an 83 944 as parts car. Well it was good enough that it ran so a little work and it was suitalbe for autocross. I get 80% of the fun as with 944-spec car, with 10% of the effort. I just drive there and run on street tires. Not as fast, but fun given the 5 min of prep work required.

I trully understand boths sides of the trailer vs not & street car vs track car.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:03 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

I did a lot of research on the Noble about a year ago. I encourage you to call the guys at 1G racing http://www.1gracing.com/ .

They have an excellent promo package, including video that they will send you. Without a doubt, the Noble is one of the fastest, best handeling cars ever made! It will out run and out track just about every car made. Here at The Barber Motorsport Park, it out ran everything from Gallardo to the GT3RS! The car is perfectly balanced and has ZERO under or oversteer. I really encourage you to look in to car. You can go to Hamilton Ohio and drive one. The fact that it comes with no engine and drive train is no big deal. They will set you up with the source for the engine (Ford Duratec) and trans (Getrag). I may end up with one of these befor long. First I have to decide if I'm willing to pay the 50G premium to get one of the first 3 F430's next year!

BTW, the Noble is very small!
Old 11-03-2004, 04:47 AM
Weng
Instructor

My 2 cents :

Radical - outright speed (nothing comes close lap times wise) and fun factor. I don't have the b_lls to buy one though - open tops terrify me. A bit small and hard to see 'cause they come up on you so quick.

GT3 vs 360 - I own both and prefer the GT3 for track use. That said, the 360 is an excellent track car on the right rubber - it is very communicative and easier to catch at the limit.

360CS - not until Michelin produces the MPSC in 19" sizes.

Elise/Exige - great value for $$ and great fun. Reliability? Buddies of mine took delivery of the 1st Toyota powered Exige for a 12 hour endurance race in Malaysia. Gear box failed during testing and again 4 hours in the race. The car (despite being on full slicks) was still 6-8 secs a lap slower than the street GT3 on R-compounds. Car has been sold and is being replaced by a Radical.

My next "project" is a GT3 Cup car - I've been bitten by the dedicated track toy bug and Porsche's reliability and outright speed (plus a tin top) proves to be too endearing.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:10 PM
fuse
Advanced

I just spent a few hours driving school version of Radical, (less HP, throttle stop, less aero, no under trays and Toyo RA1 instead of slicks) they are very easy to drive, as easy as my SpecMiata to drive...but faster. It is easy, neutral, very progressive, tremendous amount of grip, and braking force. For the starting price of $55k...I think it is the best track fun you can have for the money and speed. For the power hungry, the SR8 is coming out soon...powered by V8 engine. I am sold.

Quick Reply: modena vs.elise vs.nobel