Sponsored by:

modena vs.elise vs.nobel

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 11:48 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gary,

That joy ride in your car what got me thinking about a Modena (thanks!). You are pefectly correct, if driven properly, as it surely was, i would say that it is anything but "unfocused". In fact, your car was keeping up with all of the GT3's w/out a problem and that V8 sound byte is quite seductive. Once the 430's come out, I am seriuosly thinking about jumping in. The Stradale at $200K is just too much for me to risk at the track, but if i could pick up a good 2000 for around $125K or so it makes a lot more sense.Stradales seem to be setting on the sidelines somewhat because owners are concerned (and rightly so) about the consequences of going off the course. The other car that still interests me is a 355B, but I keep hearing conflicting opinions as to which is the right way to go....best sound, less expensive, etc. On the other hand, the 355 is somewhat dated technology. Either way i would like a ferrai next to the GT2 in the garage soon.
Old 10-28-2004, 12:13 PM
tdf360
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeRed
Gary,

That joy ride in your car what got me thinking about a Modena (thanks!). You are pefectly correct, if driven properly, as it surely was, i would say that it is anything but "unfocused". In fact, your car was keeping up with all of the GT3's w/out a problem and that V8 sound byte is quite seductive. Once the 430's come out, I am seriuosly thinking about jumping in. The Stradale at $200K is just too much for me to risk at the track, but if i could pick up a good 2000 for around $125K or so it makes a lot more sense.Stradales seem to be setting on the sidelines somewhat because owners are concerned (and rightly so) about the consequences of going off the course. The other car that still interests me is a 355B, but I keep hearing conflicting opinions as to which is the right way to go....best sound, less expensive, etc. On the other hand, the 355 is somewhat dated technology. Either way i would like a ferrai next to the GT2 in the garage soon.
IMO, the 360 is worth the premium over the 355. Much more modern interior, ground effects, and I like the looks better (personal opinion). Another factor is the belt change is an engine-out procedure for the 355, and not for the 360. Good luck in your search, and I'm sure you'll love either machine.

Gary
Old 10-28-2004, 12:48 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Moogle
modena is not nearly as focused as the GT2, and not as good a 'focused' track car as a GT3. neither is the stradale for that matter, but the stradale is a good choice.
Hmm... You speak with such authority. Have you driven any of the above at 7/10th or better at the track? Somehow, I doubt it. I own a 360 Modena and a GT3. Both have been driven at the track. I can assure you that the 360 is even more focused than the GT3. As to the Stradale... well, never mind.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:11 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by Viken
Hmm... You speak with such authority. Have you driven any of the above at 7/10th or better at the track? Somehow, I doubt it. I own a 360 Modena and a GT3. Both have been driven at the track. I can assure you that the 360 is even more focused than the GT3. As to the Stradale... well, never mind.
I think I better not ever drive a 360 because I can't imagine a street car more focused then the GT-3. That's amazing Viken - the CS at speed must be even more incredable!

I've thought for awhile now "where would I go from the GT-3" if I want to move "up" a notch. Ruling out the Ferrari's because I cannot justify spending that amount on a track car (at my finacial level) I've thought maybe a used Carrera Cup car. Judging by the ad's in Autoweek it looks as if you can pick up a 2 or 3 year old Cup car with spares for around a 100k. Considering that I am close to almost pure track use with my GT-3 (and I just bought a trailer yesterday) this is not such a big stretch. All I would need is an in-house mechanic! Since I don't have any kids I guess I would have to teach myself how to work on it.

-Kevin
Old 10-28-2004, 01:34 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Kevin, that is a great plan, except that I'll never be able to catch you, even in the new Prius!

I don't have space for a trailor, etc, so the GT3 is it for me. Now that it's just become a dedicated track car I'm wondering what to do to make it more track friendly. I'm thinking maybe a bigger better cage, a second GT seat and the RS suspension upgrade?

The Cup cars seem to be good for around 10-13 seconds at Willow Springs over a well driven GT3, when running slicks (Hoosiers?) and set up right. A Cup will run 1.18ish, a GT3 will do 1.31ish. The weight saving, the lowering, the suspension and tires all make quite a difference, even though it seems to be a similar machine at heart.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:44 PM
Rico UK
Intermediate

Guys.

Check out this Noble forum, as a part of Pistonheads.com

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/forum.asp?f=26&h=0

The Nobles are stunning cars, they really are.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:45 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by macfly
Kevin, that is a great plan, except that I'll never be able to catch you, even in the new Prius!

I don't have space for a trailor, etc, so the GT3 is it for me. Now that it's just become a dedicated track car I'm wondering what to do to make it more track friendly. I'm thinking maybe a bigger better cage, a second GT seat and the RS suspension upgrade?

The Cup cars seem to be good for around 10-13 seconds at Willow Springs over a well driven GT3, when running slicks (Hoosiers?) and set up right. A Cup will run 1.18ish, a GT3 will do 1.31ish. The weight saving, the lowering, the suspension and tires all make quite a difference, even though it seems to be a similar machine at heart.
At least with the Prius you could drive it to the track, at the track and home on one gallon of fuel! I spent $50 on fuel just while we were at the track on Monday!

Funny thing about suspension is that with the GT-3 it seems pretty stiff on the street - but get to the track and I find myself wanting a lower, stiffer car with less body roll. I'm going to mess with the sway bar settings a bit to see if I can make the rear a bit stiffer and reduce understreer on the front. But I'm concerned that if I make the car too unforgiving that I might mess up more.

Andrew - are you using a harness? If not I would strongly recomend it. It makes a big difference in reducing fatigue. But even more important is that it helps in making you feel connected to the car.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:14 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Kevin, I have been using a harness, but on Monday I just used the lap portion of it as I had a passanger all day, and I only have one harness set. It is surprising how well planted in the seat just the lap harness makes you.

I've also been a little worried about my harness mounts, as the other guys keep saying they are not safe. My shoulder straps come from floor mounted eye bolts where the rear belts would attatch. Apparantly these can cause compression in the spine in an accident, so I think my next change will be to a bigger cage with a better harness mount.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:22 PM
DMin
Instructor

I don't mean to stir the pot, but...

If you are in the price range of a 360 Modena, have you thought about the Lamborghini Gallardo? From what I have read about direct comparisons with the 360 CS, the Lambo gives up a little of the razor sharp steering feel for more power through the straights. Also, the 4WD gives a little more solidity through the corners and is a little more forgiving.

Personally, I love my GT3, and the only car I'd consider upgrading it for are the Ford GT or the Carrera GT. However, this is primarily due to the fact that the town I live in does not have a local Lamborghini dealer. Otherwise, I'd give the Gallardo strong consideration.

D.Min
Old 10-28-2004, 04:25 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Hey Kevin, was having a look around at folks to help me dedicate the GT3 to it's new mission, and I came across this, thought you'd like to see......http://www.theracersgroup.com/cars/c...e/pete_cup.htm
Old 10-28-2004, 04:35 PM
BrianPA
Racer

How is the base 360 more focused than the GT3 when the GT3 beats it in any performance test?
Old 10-28-2004, 04:51 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DMIN, hes talking about used modenas, which are around 100k now.

the gallardo is about 160, and i dont see many used ones.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:31 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Originally Posted by macfly
Hey Kevin, was having a look around at folks to help me dedicate the GT3 to it's new mission, and I came across this, thought you'd like to see......http://www.theracersgroup.com/cars/c...e/pete_cup.htm
Don't temp me.

Wonder if I could get a discount for that paint chip on the front bumper...
Old 10-28-2004, 06:55 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well guys.. IN the GT2 or GT3 you already have about as focused a street/track car as you will find. The Elise is probably the only "NEW" car that exceeds that.

If you want to get a more focused feel you need to move to a race car.

Now its very possible to take a 911, 964, or 993 and modify it for the track. Strip the interior, add a roll bar, stiffen the suspension, light motor mods. Sure it will not have as much power as a GT3, but it can be far more focused than the GT3 or GT2. Be gentle on the engine mods and it can even be street driven to the track and home. It may not be nice on the street, but you don't need a tow vehicle either.

I have driven my street 944 Turbo S on the track. Nice car, but it is nothing like my race prepped 944. The street car is soft and wallowly. The race car is hard loud and focused (almost street legal). An inspite of being down in power by 40% is much faster and lots more fun to drive.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:54 PM
dbrauch
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BrianPA
How is the base 360 more focused than the GT3 when the GT3 beats it in any performance test?
Great question, I would define 'focus' as decreased stability and resistance to motion about the vertical axis (low polar moment, the reason purpose built race cars are mid-engine), increased stability and resistance about the longitudinal and lateral axis (little body roll, little dive/squat) coupled with increased control sensitivity and feedback qualities.

By this definition a Miata would be more focused than an E46 M3, for example, yet the M3 will trounce it in every performance test.

I would not say the 360 is more focused that the GT3, but it is definitely not any less. It would come down to car specific set up.

Derek

Quick Reply: modena vs.elise vs.nobel