Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory/Dealer upgrade sound system??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 02:29 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,112 Likes on 614 Posts
Question Factory/Dealer upgrade sound system??

From the factory is it alomost $5k, but includes extra leather or Carbon fiber. From the dealer it is like $2300, but it's wrapped in plastic.

I think it comes with speakers for the door panel and a new Amp.

Anyone have any experience with this upgrade?
Old 08-15-2004, 10:12 PM
Scott & Renee in VA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By upgrading the sound system on a GT3, you mean a different muffler, right?? ;-)

I don't think my radio will ever be turned on, if I don't take it out to save weight!
Old 08-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Scott, you get that thing yet? The wait must be killing you..
Old 08-15-2004, 10:42 PM
Scott & Renee in VA
Racer

Supposedly arrives tomorrow. Yes it is killing me now. It wasn't before but it is now!!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2004, 11:59 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cosmos
From the factory is it alomost $5k, but includes extra leather or Carbon fiber. From the dealer it is like $2300, but it's wrapped in plastic.

I think it comes with speakers for the door panel and a new Amp.

Anyone have any experience with this upgrade?
There are no factory or dealer upgrades for the GT3 sound system, which is simply a CDR-23 headunit with 4 speakers, 2 in the dash and two in the rear seat area.

The only dealer installed upgrade that I am aware of is the Tequipment High Performance Audio System (HPAS) that was only available for the pre-2003 cars. It replaced the remote amp and all the speakers, including adding a larger subwoofer in the door. I had this installed on my 99 C2 and it was a big improvement. However, it isn't compatible with MOST, so it can't be used on newer cars.

If you really want to upgrade, you'll have to go aftermarket. Given the noisy (very sweet noise at that) environment of the GT3 cockpit, putting a lot of money into an audio upgrade is a waste IMHO.

Karl
Old 08-16-2004, 01:06 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 83 Posts

sound system in GT3 SUX but i love it!
Old 08-16-2004, 01:29 AM
Holger B
Race Car

Received 87 Likes on 34 Posts

Much better than the hi-fi "upgrade" I had in my '99....that was junk!

Scott, I'm almost thru my break-in period. You've got some serious catching up to do!
Old 08-16-2004, 02:11 AM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

I was under the impression that the GT3 did NOT have a MOST system in it?

There is, (was) at least when I placed my July build an option for an upgraded sound system.
Old 08-16-2004, 02:15 AM
20C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 195 Likes on 83 Posts

There is, (was) at least when I placed my July build an option for an upgraded sound system.
hahaa, what a shame! Porsche should list it as ''deleted speakers option'' not ''upgraded sound system''
Old 08-16-2004, 01:27 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

The CDR-23 head unit uses MOST to communicate with other media devices such as amps and CD changers. Since none of these are available on the GT3, there is no MOST cable in the car and there is a plug in the MOST connector on the back of the CDR-23, which is probably why you thought it was not MOST. However, the HPAS upgrade would still not be compatible because the amp that is included could not communicate with the CDR-23 head unit via MOST.

I suppose you could try to swap the CDR-23 for an non-MOST unit like the CDR-222, buy the additional cable to connect the new head unit with the amp, figure out a way to mount the new amp in the trunk and power it, route speaker wires for the subwoofers in the doors, and cut up the doors to mount the subwoofer. You'll also need access to a PST2 so that you can reprogram the DME to ignore the CDR-222, which it won't be able to communicate with.

A couple grand for parts and more for labor unless you're good at auto electronics.

Karl
Old 08-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you are in Southern California, I suggest you contact Rick Reus of Reus Systems. If anyone knows Porsche audio, big or small, he does. I have already discussed the MOST issue with him and he indicated that it is not a problem. Tell him I said hi.
Old 08-17-2004, 04:39 AM
Anders
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl S
There are no factory or dealer upgrades for the GT3 sound system, which is simply a CDR-23 headunit with 4 speakers, 2 in the dash and two in the rear seat area.

The only dealer installed upgrade that I am aware of is the Tequipment High Performance Audio System (HPAS) that was only available for the pre-2003 cars. It replaced the remote amp and all the speakers, including adding a larger subwoofer in the door. I had this installed on my 99 C2 and it was a big improvement. However, it isn't compatible with MOST, so it can't be used on newer cars.
FWIW, the HPAS is listed as a factory install option for the GT3 in the pricelist for the "exclusive" options that I have.
Old 08-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Thanks to PCNA, in the US, we get a very limited set of "Exclusive" options - mostly leather or carbon interior bits.

Karl
Old 08-17-2004, 02:22 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Unhappy Karl

FWIW, the HPAS is listed as a factory install option for the GT3 in the pricelist for the "exclusive" options that I have.
Thanks to PCNA, in the US, we get a very limited set of "Exclusive" options - mostly leather or carbon interior bits.

This IS available here in the USA, my dealer offered me this option. The price was around $5,000 and included CF or leather bits to boot. I passed cause I did not want the extra CF or leather and it appeared that I could get the same equipment from the dealer for $2,500. It now appears that i was wrong, and maybe should have gotten the upgrade from the factory.

Live and learn.
Old 08-18-2004, 01:04 PM
Anders
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Karl S
Having looked at the US order guide I think you actually get most of the options that's on the list. It's just leather and carbon (and some painted stuff) over here as well.

Quick Reply: Factory/Dealer upgrade sound system??