Sponsored by:

GT3RS Differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 09:28 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts
Default GT3RS Differences

Just received a copy of the Porsche "Service Information Technik" on the GT3RS and thought I would post differences between RS and standard GT3 I find as I read through the book:

1. Engine has "optimized geometry" of intake ports and is designated M79/80 type number

2. The data record in the ME 7.8 Motronic is designated as "GT3 RS EU4" for programming of the control unit

3. There is a modified air duct below the rear wing to provide a ram effect at high vehicle speeds

4. The exhaust pipe tips are the same as the 40 years 911

5. Spark plugs are special M12X1.25 thread with 2 earth electrodes

6. The G96/90 gearbox is the same as normal GT3

7. Single mass flywheel fitted instead of dual mass

8. The RS front wheel carrier is completely different and is a hollow cast aluminum part and has 2 bolts instead of one to secure the strut, also has 6 bolts instead of 4 to hold in the wheel bearing. The mounting points for the control arms and track rods have been lowered relative to standard GT3.

9. At this point things get a little funny in the book, a picture of the rear spring strut is shown where I would expect the front strut to be shown and the text states that the spring rate is 45 N/mm which is what I would expect a front spring to be. There is not other mention of spring rates or other shock spring comments.

10. The RS rear wheel carrier is also completely new and is also a hollow sand casting with lateral and tie rod mounting points lowered as in the front wheel carrier. The wheel bearing is held in with 6 bolts instead of 4 here as in front.

11. The rear lower control arm has shims to adjust camber like the front and the eccentric to adjust camber has a longer travel so the slot for it is wider on the center carrier.

12. The stabilizers are same as the normal GT3 just set harder.

13. Carbon fiber front hood painted on top only inside is carbon look Only one gas strut to support.

14. Larger carbon fiber rear wing.

15. Carrara White color only with choice of red or blue emblems with matching red or blue wheel centers

16. The front bumper cover has slots at the top which duct the center radiator, wire mesh grills are fitted in front of the air intakes and at the outlets.

17. Polycarbonate rear window.

18. Carbon look rear view mirrors

19. Red or blue seat belts to match exterior logos.

20. Interior as GT3 clubsport but with Alcantara steering wheel, gear lever and handbrake sewn in red or blue to match logos

21. No glovebox

22. No cupholders

23. Door panels with storage pockets instead of loudspeakers

24. No air conditioning possible

I'm at the end of the book, I hope I havn't posted anything already done.

Last edited by Cupcar; 04-12-2004 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-12-2004, 10:19 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Well, I'm actually happy I have a regualar one!

Looks to me like the only parts I feel I'm missing out on are the new wheel mount and suspension parts, easy upgrades that I may well do at a later date.

I'm thrilled about my aircon, living here in SoCal no aircon is just not an option unless it is a dedicated track only car. I know this will really tick off the purists, but I love the cup holder! It is a really clever minimal design, weighs nothing, totally vanishes and is perfectly functional. It fits those 'sport top' water bottles perfectly, which is great, coz you can nip around the canyon twisties without a drop going anywhere but in your mouth when you need it.

The stereo on the other hand, I would have deleted given the chance, it really rubbish, and I like the idea of the extra storage in the doors too.

There is one other detail I'm happy to be missing, the ugleeee RS paint job. It may be traditional, but that doesn't make it pretty!
Old 04-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Cupcar: A/C was added as a no charge option to the GT3RS shortly after production began. Seems those Europeans are every bit the wusses we Americans are when it comes to driving comfort.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:51 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Here's a picture of front suspension wheel carrier on RS:'

Old 04-13-2004, 06:05 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great Info....I doupt upgrading to the RS suspension would be a real option though - there are a lot of parts and i believe it would get prohibitaly expensive very quick - would be interesting though.

Btw, Cupcar... Sepang was great!!
Old 04-13-2004, 06:39 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

A few things to add.

RHD cars keep the Cup holders and Glovebox (porsche had run out of units without so it was cheaper to just use what they had)

Aircon is an option.

It would not be possible to upgrade a GT3 to GT3RS suspension as the pick up points are differant.

The reason for the cars being is the revised rear geometry which eliminates rear bump steer and makes the car that much quicker on the track.

Or it would have if the springs and dampers were adjustable...

Still faster than a standard car but become a bit snappy on or near the limit, easily sorted with the fitment of JRZ suspension but then the car becomes a bit compromised for the road.

As with all things, you pay your money you makes your choice.

Colour scheme looks better in real life than in pictures. Anyway I cant see it from the drivers seat

P>
Old 04-13-2004, 07:43 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Mr. RS-

Congratulations on your GT3RS, I am insanely jealous.

The pages describing the suspension changes note that the pick up points change mainly at the front and rear hub carriers. The only change listed at the central chassis pick up points is a widened adjustor slot eccentric clearance, not a change in it's position.

This would indicate to me that essentially the entire GT3 RS suspension could be installed easily on a standard GT3 by just changing the springs/shocks, track rods and hub carriers, something easily done.

The only thing not then achieved is the complete range of camber adjustment in the rear if one choose not to install the part with the widened slot at the rear lower, inner pick up points.

This is just going by my book, not looking at a car or parts list.

Old 04-13-2004, 07:51 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Cupcar
This is just going by my book, not looking at a car or parts list.
Cupcar, you are correct. The RS suspension pieces can indeed be installed on a standard GT3 as a whole, but not in part.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:35 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Attention Gert, 1 see a potential hot selling kit here......

This would indicate to me that essentially the entire GT3 RS suspension could be installed easily on a standard GT3 by just changing the springs/shocks, track rods and hub carriers, something easily done.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:41 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Bob,

Is it safe to say the differences are made by using Supercup parts?

Best,

Don
Old 04-13-2004, 11:47 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

The changes for the GT3RS street car were primarily to homologate changes they wanted for the GT3RSR race car. I don't recall reading that any of the GT3RS changes appeared in the '03 built GT3 Cup cars but the '04 build cars are another question.

Last edited by Steve in FL; 04-14-2004 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:59 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by macfly
Attention Gert, 1 see a potential hot selling kit here......

I believe this has been discussed a few months ago...very expensive and probably in the neighborhood of $25,000 if my memory serves me correctly to change out the suspension to RS spec...
That does not sound like a good bang for your buck and would make minimal impact on track times except for the most exceptional drivers...ie pros, imho...
Old 04-14-2004, 12:24 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Wow, if that is really the cost it is insane, but from the list of parts I was expecting something more in the 5-8K range. Guess I hadn't fully grasped why Porsche is the most profitable company yet, it kills you on the parts!
Old 04-14-2004, 12:31 AM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

GT3RS parts were initially carrying a high premium but I think they've dropped recently. At least the rear wing and the interior alcantra parts are now much cheaper from Gert.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:42 AM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Rennman-

I don't know which hub carriers the Supercup cars are using, I think Steve in FL has it right, the RS is a homologation special for a constellation of parts that are legal to use on an RSR.

Would be interesting to know what the latest build Supercups are using as it would mean conversion kits would be in the works for teams to upgrade spec if the RS suspension is used.

Regards, BG

Quick Reply: GT3RS Differences