Sponsored by:

GT3RS Differences

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:48 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up from the man who can......

Based on the information shown in the latest PET, the price for the suspension parts needed to upgrade the GT3 suspension to GT3RS is 4840 Euro shipping included.
The most important and pricey parts of the conversion are the rear side supports (where the rear control arms attach to), the front and rear wheel carriers and the 4 shocks and front springs.

All these parts are easy to replace.

Regards,
Gert.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:34 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: from the man who can......

Originally posted by macfly
Based on the information shown in the latest PET, the price for the suspension parts needed to upgrade the GT3 suspension to GT3RS is 4840 Euro shipping included.
The most important and pricey parts of the conversion are the rear side supports (where the rear control arms attach to), the front and rear wheel carriers and the 4 shocks and front springs.

All these parts are easy to replace.

Regards,
Gert.
Wow, guess my memory did not serve me correctly...
Sounds like a reasonable price now...Perhaps things were pricier a few months back and maybe the body parts..hood,nose, rear deck and wing were part of that total I had quoted to in effect convert a GT3 into an RS...
Old 04-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EVO (UK) were effusive in their praise of the GT3RS's handling, citing a greater willingness to turn in and improved stability...which would make the suspension upgrade pretty compelling at ~$6k...
Old 04-15-2004, 12:37 AM
Karl S
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Cupcar
Rennman-

I don't know which hub carriers the Supercup cars are using, I think Steve in FL has it right, the RS is a homologation special for a constellation of parts that are legal to use on an RSR.

Would be interesting to know what the latest build Supercups are using as it would mean conversion kits would be in the works for teams to upgrade spec if the RS suspension is used.

Regards, BG
The 2004 GT3 Cup cars use the same wheel carriers front and rear as the GT3 street car. So if these are homologation parts, they must be for the RSR or next year's Cup car or both. It does sound like the RS has the Cup car rear control arm that uses shims for camber fine tuning.

Karl
Old 04-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

The rear side supports that Gert referrs to may not necessarily need to be replaced if one were willing to go with the standard camber adjustment eccentric (if it otherwise fits) since the only difference in this side support seems to be the wider slot for the eccentric. See arrow in photo below.

This would make the conversion pretty easy since it would then just involve Front and rear springs,shocks, wheel carriers and rear lower control arms. I imagine the side support is a pretty expensive piece as well.

Old 04-15-2004, 08:48 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Cupcar:

Where does this book come from and how much is it???
Is it for both the GT3 and GT3RS or are there two books?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2004, 09:02 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

It came from a friend in Europe and I didn't pay for it.

The book covering the GT3RS is called: Service Information Technik 911 All Models 2004 and it is part number WKD 489 120 04. You may want to try ordering from a dealer to see what happens.

BTW at the same time I received another SIT on the 911 GT3 2004 which is number WKD 489 020 04. This book has nothing on the GT3 RS.

I have been collecting SIT's since 1975 and generally the cost is around $15 to $30

Old 04-15-2004, 09:26 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, I am going to call a good dealer and see what they can do...
Old 04-18-2004, 03:54 PM
Madcaplaughs
Advanced

Default Re: Well, I'm actually happy I have a regualar one!

Originally posted by macfly
Looks to me like the only parts I feel I'm missing out on are the new wheel mount and suspension parts, easy upgrades that I may well do at a later date.

I'm thrilled about my aircon, living here in SoCal no aircon is just not an option unless it is a dedicated track only car. I know this will really tick off the purists, but I love the cup holder! It is a really clever minimal design, weighs nothing, totally vanishes and is perfectly functional. It fits those 'sport top' water bottles perfectly, which is great, coz you can nip around the canyon twisties without a drop going anywhere but in your mouth when you need it.

The stereo on the other hand, I would have deleted given the chance, it really rubbish, and I like the idea of the extra storage in the doors too.

There is one other detail I'm happy to be missing, the ugleeee RS paint job. It may be traditional, but that doesn't make it pretty!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. However if you were fortunate enough to actually see an RS in the flesh, then I expect you would have to agree with almost everybody else, the RS is the best looking 996 by far. In fact it is outrageously handsome. Sorry! Oh and you are missing out an awful lot more than a few suspension parts. At least three RS engines have been tested over here and each one is putting out 400bhp. Standard GT3's on the other hand are coming out at around 375bhp. Don't ask me why because I don't know. Perhaps the RS engines are all blueprinted?
Old 04-18-2004, 04:55 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

I will certainly do the suspension upgrades, but maybe not till the end of the year. I want to learn the car better first, and see how much the MPSC and Pagid yellows change things.

I have also been hearing a lot of very good things about the Moton suspension kit, which was developed by the J or JRZ. Has anyone fitted this set up to our cars yet?

Madcaplaughs, I'm happy you're happy with the RS, the great news is we are all getting to enjoy the cars of our dreams! I have heard that the RS looks better than it photographs, so I look forward to seeing on in the flesh. It's my guess that we'll get them here in the USA next year as the end of model cars. PNA know that by bringing in around 100 or so they'll be able to sell them for around $185K each. Thats a lot of irresistable profit for a stripped out car, and the GT3 has built up enough of a cult following that they'll have no trouble finding homes for them.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:09 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

FWIW there have been several dyno reports on the GT3 engine which put it around 350 wheel horsepower - which is pretty close to 400 crank HP.
Porsche specs power rather conservatively in my experience. According to specs, the Cup engine is 9 HP more than the regular GT3 largely due to the exhaust system and perhaps ECU calibrations - no fear of bad gas in a race car.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:23 PM
Mr. RS
Instructor

US GT3 cars put out 12HP more than euro cars.

Something to do with the ECU. Very simple test Euro car with Euro ECU gained 12HPwhen fittted with the US ECU.The top ECU whiz kid in Europe could only get 4-6hp by fiddling around with the mapping on the same car.

Therefore all the CUP guys in Europe are running US ECU's.

Dyno of GT3RS in UK show a variance between 381HP and 397, poor fuel might be to blame.

GT3 on the same dyno and day were making 360-375hp.

P.
Old 04-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

RS - interesting indeed. Usually we get the low power cars here! Is your GT3 360-375 HP a euro version? In which case adding 12 HP would put us back in the ballpark for UIS dyno tests.

Regards,
Old 04-18-2004, 07:42 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Mr. RS
US GT3 cars put out 12HP more than euro cars.
Interesting. How are the US DME units different if they have the same part numbers as the ROW versions?
Old 04-18-2004, 09:38 PM
Cupcar
Rennlist Member

Turning to my Service Information Technik on the GT3RS I find in the Fuel and Ignition system section, paragraph #2470 Titled: "ME 7.8 Motronic control unit".

The only sentence in this paragraph is: "The data record 'GT3 RS EU4' is available for programming the motronic control unit". Under this sentence is a picture of a DME circuit board.

Anyone care to interpret this statement? Are the latest DME's flash programmable? Can the map in the DME be changed with the right equipment at the dealer? Are all the units the same and programmed for their duty individually? Can a USA unit be programmed as a GT3RS?

Quick Reply: GT3RS Differences