Exhaust note...to civil

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 11:46 AM
buckdr1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust note...to civil

at least for me in the low/er rpm range. I've only got 289 miles on mine (it won't stop raining!) and it's only slightly dissapointing aspect of what appears to be a Great craft. Snuck out last night (between rain periods) and put about 40 more miles on and the exhaust sounds a little better(or is it me hoping that the mufflers will loosen up?)
FWIW my '02 C2 w/ Porsche Sport Ex sounded much more threatening! even idling. Has anyone experienced more rumble after getting some real milege on there car? I feel confident it'll wail in upper rpm range, but I subscribe to the "take it easy" for about 1000 miles book rather than "drive it like you stole it" theory.
Bill
Old 04-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Buck,

I have about 5000 miles on My GT3 now and my wife has a little less. The exhaust sounds pretty much like it did when new. On the track, the car is (to my surprise) quite loud at high rpms - my wife went by chasing a 360 challenge car (not quiet!) and I could hear her GT3 quite distictly. I'm leaving my (our) exhausts alone because Lime Rock style noise regs are becoming too common - which is too bad because a low restriction exhaust would sound sooooo nice at 8000 RPM.
Regards,
Old 04-03-2004, 12:26 PM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Exhausting exhausts.......

I've been curiously reading about the various after market exhausts on this and other boards, mostly in hope of finding a lighter system. I have been told thar our OEM's are very heavy, and one can drop as much as 50lbs with certain systems, which seems a worthwhile saving.

The problem is I have also read several negative reviews of almost every system out there, and all of them make very heady claims about power gains which always makes me suspicious.

FWIW I find the OEM system's symphony is very satisfying in car, both out on the twisty canyon roads, and on the track. My reason for considering a change is lessening the weight behind the rear axel.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:43 PM
surf
Rennlist Member

I have been pondering an after market system for weight savings .I am concerned about resonance.Anyone try the Euro Pipe?

Surf

04 GT3
02 99tt Ruf conversion
55 550 Spyder replic
Old 04-03-2004, 01:44 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Mac- Look into Europipe - they make a system for the GT3 and my experience with their stuff has always been good. Well engineered (as opposed to some others I won't name) and their claims are always backed up with dyno tests. Euro manufacturers have to substantiate their claims for HP increases to get TUV approval - not so over here. I don't recall the weight savings and it's pricey hardware. If weight loss is the order of the day, you can get rid of about 20+ pounds by getting lighter wheels and, that's unsprung and rotating mass as a bonus.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:50 PM
surf
Rennlist Member

Who sells Euro Pipe?

Surf
Old 04-03-2004, 01:50 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rockitman has the Europipe.

Europipe actually makes 2 exhaust, a loud and quiet one.
I called Europipe about it. I'd like to try it, but the Europipe system uses the stock headers.

With freer flowing cats, you might get more HO, but truly it will be negligeable. Most gains are from sport cats, and equal lenght headers, equal lenght headers "waste" more exhaust from the combustion chambers (cylinders) on every stroke, more than the stock - so that on the next combustion stroke their is almost only pure air and not old wasted exhaust in the air/fuel mix. That means more power.

The mufflers do nothing but give sound.

Cargraphic has a complete system as well that looks good, but I havent heard it yet.
Old 04-03-2004, 04:38 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the Europipe is awesome, it's the best built of any exhaust period. They also fabricate all Manthey Racing designs. Yes performance is noticeably enhanced in both power, sound and throttle repsonse through the entire range....
Old 04-03-2004, 04:43 PM
surf
Rennlist Member

Rockitman
Which Europipe do you have?Where did you order it?

Thanks
Surf
Old 04-03-2004, 04:49 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by surf
Rockitman
Which Europipe do you have?Where did you order it?

Thanks
Surf
There is only one for the GT3. The loud and quiet versions apply only to the TT cars. They only sell it direct from Belgium. Stef and Herman (owners) are great people and are more than happy to answer any questions.

http://www.europipe.be/1024.html

The GT3 exhaust is the one pictured on the home page. Check out all the links for all the specifics of the exhaust....
Old 04-03-2004, 05:15 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Rockitman,

When are you going to the dyno?
it would be nice to see what it does threw the rpm range,
How much did you save in weight?

on my previous Z06 I changed an exhaust system and it did not get exactly huge numbers but what it did is get a thick power range.
it gained around 24 rwhp at peak and more than 35 rwhp at some rpms,
torque was up 8 rwtq at peak and as much as 50 rwtq at some rpms.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:07 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bob, does your wife post on Rennlist? Would be interesting to hear a woman's perspective on the GT3...
Old 04-03-2004, 09:45 PM
rockitman
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by Z06
Rockitman,

When are you going to the dyno?
it would be nice to see what it does threw the rpm range,
How much did you save in weight?

on my previous Z06 I changed an exhaust system and it did not get exactly huge numbers but what it did is get a thick power range.
it gained around 24 rwhp at peak and more than 35 rwhp at some rpms,
torque was up 8 rwtq at peak and as much as 50 rwtq at some rpms.
Maybe I will re-dyno in the next month or two. My original re-dyno on the same machine was cancelled due to snow. I am confident it will show 365rwhp when I finally do it, which is 15 over stock. That inlcudes the BMC air filter. As far as weight, not that much. Visit the site, it has the specs...Probably less than 10 pounds in savings...The dyno charts on the EP site show a 12hp increase with stock air filter. They are people of their word and are not ones to exagerrate claims as some after market companies have in the past...
Old 04-03-2004, 10:53 PM
KINGSRULE
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Rockitman,

Cut the bull**** on the Europipe exhaust.
You've been making all sorts of claims regarding improvements, some with a few miles of driving before you put the car up for the winter.
Seat of the pants observations vs. cash outlay are always the same.. it's "awesome"
You have no idea what the Europipe really has done to your car
Old 04-04-2004, 06:45 AM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

Bob,
do you share the GT3, or do you have a his and hers matching set?
~Eyal

Quick Reply: Exhaust note...to civil