Sponsored by:

Air Bag Deactivation For Child?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Air Bag Deactivation For Child?

I am getting a Seal Grey gt3 and would like to know how to deactivate the air bag when my just turning 7yr old daughter is in it.

I asked the porsche Dealer and they said i have to buy a booster seat but i do not think i need to use the seat, i would just like to deactivate the air bag.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2004, 07:02 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z06: The Porsche child seats come with the deactivation bar but your dealer would still need to enable the airbag deactivation with the PST2.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:07 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Steve,

Can i buy the deactivation bar with out the seat?

They dealer led me to believe that the dbar would be all that is needed, does that mean that when it is deactivated i have to go back to the dealer to have them reactivated when an adult rides in it.

On some cars there is a key switch for on/off air bag.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Z06,

please search. we have covered this, and the extra knowledge will help.

i doubt you can buy the bar alone because of liability and profit! porsche seats are pricey and required.

i switch the same seat and bar into every car i get and have my mech code the car to accept it and turn off the airbag. just did the GT2 last weekend. once you do the code and plug the bar in, you can travel w/o the seat and the airbag will be off.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z06: With the part # on the deactivation bar (sorry, I've never actually seen one) you could possibly order it alone but I expect watt is correct that Porsche will only sell it with the seat.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Is this different than what is available on the 993? On the 993 you have to have the female end of the car seat plugged into the deactivation bar for the airbag to be off. When it is not plugged in, the airbag is active.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask Gert - he'll be more than happy to sell you the deactivation bar solo....for about 90 euro plus shipping.

www.carnewal.com

Your friendly Porsche dealer ship should then install it for free...

with the bar installed you've a rather wider choice of seats...albeit that you'll need either a spare buckle or use the passenger seat buckle to deactivate the airbag.

Watt - i assume in your case you've elected to permanently deactivate the airbag...otherwise it will reset to active every time you cycle ignition.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:28 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by Greg Fishman
Is this different than what is available on the 993? On the 993 you have to have the female end of the car seat plugged into the deactivation bar for the airbag to be off. When it is not plugged in, the airbag is active.
greg

yes i found out to my shock from my mech that just plugging it in [996] did NOT deactivate, after i drove 1000 miles assuming it was. i've been told there's no deactivation in my 97TT, is that not the case? mind you the i havent even seen the car, it's still over at Carl's Place for race prep.

bill,

the airbag lite blinks for a minute every time i start the car indicating the airbag is off, beyond that i'm not sure.
Old 03-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Take your 993 to the dealer and they can install the deactivator, I thought it was the 96 models that could use the std. Porsche deactivator. When I took my child seat to mine they just billed the install to Porsche.

Quick Reply: Air Bag Deactivation For Child?