Opinions Welcome: RS Wing

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 09:55 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Opinions Welcome: RS Wing

Hi All,
I've have my 2004 GT3 for almost a year now. I love the car and try to get it out as much as I can, even with only 22,000 on the clock. I always told myself I'd leave it stock but I got the itch and was able to source OEM Perlon GT3 RS seats. Additionally I've strongly been considering the OEM RS Carbon Fiber Wing. Would love to hear any and all opinions of the Genuine RS wing on standard 996 GT3 cars. I think the carbon would look nice against my Jet Black car but I'm on the fence.

I've included my stock car below, a photoshop mock-up and another rennlister's car for reference. Appreciate your input!

My Car Currently

Photoshop with RS WING

Old 05-27-2020, 10:13 PM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 180 Likes on 104 Posts

looks great go for it
The following users liked this post:
Bmuldoon (05-28-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 10:32 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 159 Likes on 110 Posts

The RS wing is a really nice piece of functional (expensive) art. I purchased my OEM RS wing new several years ago, and am very happy with the purchase. If you are just driving in the street highly unlikely you will see any benefits over the stock wing. The real benefit is on the track with the additional down force at high speeds. That said if you like it and can find one at a reasonable price go for it.
Bmuldoon (05-28-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:29 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Maybe these will help your decision. Echoing the statement above, it won't do anything performance-wise for street use except look good.

Bmuldoon (05-28-2020)
Old 05-27-2020, 11:56 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 356 Likes on 218 Posts

I have the original plus 2. An RS style and a carbon fiber original style with molded in Gurney lip. Full disclosure the RS is not factory. I understand giving careful consideration to buying a factory RS as it will be spendy. If you can stand it - consider a look alike that allows you to get the RS look that you don't feel bad about storing away when your mood changes.

Here's the Gurney lipped wing
Bmuldoon (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 09:53 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cemoto

Maybe these will help your decision. Echoing the statement above, it won't do anything performance-wise for street use except look good.

Wow. This does look fantastic. Nice to see a dark paint example that would be similar to mine. Appreciate all the feedback and I agree, the OEM RS wing is VERY expensive, even with a slight discount at Suncoast Parts.

Cemoto - any concerns with the build quality of the OEM RS Wing? I don't know if the factory is still producing these new or if those in-stock examples have been around since the early 2000's?
Old 05-28-2020, 10:33 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 654 Posts

I prefer the RS wing to the stock GT3 wing. Getty Designs can make you a reproduction of the OEM wing for a fraction of the price. Looks identical. That's what I run. Did take some work with my detailer to polish it better than Getty did before I installed. They can make you the endcaps in fiberglass (you have to paint them yourself) or carbon (like OEM). I have the fiberglass and had a body shop paint them. I like the contrast of the solid end caps with the carbon wing.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:28 AM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I greatly prefer the RS to the original (front bumper as well). If I were in the market to buy again I'd happily pay a premium for the same car with Buckets / Wing / Bumper over a stocker. I say do it.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 05-28-2020, 11:42 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onelove
I greatly prefer the RS to the original (front bumper as well). If I were in the market to buy again I'd happily pay a premium for the same car with Buckets / Wing / Bumper over a stocker. I say do it.
For better or worse, you guys have pushed me to making a decision. I'd love to explore an aftermarket option for my wallet but I'm always an OEM guy so going to place an order with Suncoast today. I'll keep you posted as soon as I receive.

How much of a pain is it to safely remove the bolt covers without breaking or scratching them on the stock wing?
Old 05-28-2020, 12:28 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 869 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon
For better or worse, you guys have pushed me to making a decision. I'd love to explore an aftermarket option for my wallet but I'm always an OEM guy so going to place an order with Suncoast today. I'll keep you posted as soon as I receive.

How much of a pain is it to safely remove the bolt covers without breaking or scratching them on the stock wing?
Easy to remove without scratching stuff.
Be delicate when removing to avoid tab breakage.
If it doesn't easily pop out when you try one corner, move pry tool around 180 degrees and try again.
HINT: There is a "push button" that holds the hardware to the tail base. Takes 2 1/2 hands to remove the original wing.
Enjoy.

Here's my OEM wing I bought from that cemoto guy above
You'll love the view from inside rear-view mirror.
<grin>

Bmuldoon (05-28-2020)
Old 05-28-2020, 12:46 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon

Its pretty tough to remove the plugs without breaking them. I managed to get one side off without breaking and the other side one of the tabs broke off but it still holds. I bought a pair of extra plugs, but they come primered and you'll have to paint them. Put layers of painters tape around the area when you are prying them out in case you slip.

The angle shims (same as stock spoiler) come in 2 different angles and are orange, I rattle canned mine satin black, but you could paint them any accent color you wanted, or match to the paint. AFAIK there was not ever factory paint on these as they were sold as an aftersales item.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:50 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

I also installed the RS air scoop: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ml#post2989165

I read something here that Porsche's own data says these give 15HP boost at speeds over 75mph. To me from an airflow perspective it just makes sense as being good for the engine, HP gains or not.
Old 05-28-2020, 01:13 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nickshu
​​​​​​​

cgfen - the yellow contrast looks great with your wing!

Nickshu - I didn't even know this part existed. Does it require any drilling or modification to install? Where did you source it from?

Has anyone installed the RS OEM Lexan rear window?
Old 05-28-2020, 01:23 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 733 Likes on 372 Posts

I'd also like to know where to source the air scoop! I read about early production runs having fittment issues. Would appreciate your experience.

I too broke some of the tabs. No big deal...just put a dab of 100% silicone on the good remaining tabs and they will hold in place well. And if you have to source new ones, the paint match would not be critical as this is a very inconspicuous area (I'd be tempted to just rattle can, clear, buff, and install).
Old 05-28-2020, 01:32 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
I also installed the RS air scoop: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-gt2-...ml#post2989165

I read something here that Porsche's own data says these give 15HP boost at speeds over 75mph. To me from an airflow perspective it just makes sense as being good for the engine, HP gains or not.
I've been meaning to add this and your post just reminded me to do it, thanks!

Quick Reply: Opinions Welcome: RS Wing