Sponsored by:

Opinions Welcome: RS Wing

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 11:58 AM
Jim H.
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Its pretty tough to remove the plugs without breaking them. I managed to get one side off without breaking and the other side one of the tabs broke off but it still holds. I bought a pair of extra plugs, but they come primered and you'll have to paint them. Put layers of painters tape around the area when you are prying them out in case you slip.

The angle shims (same as stock spoiler) come in 2 different angles and are orange, I rattle canned mine satin black, but you could paint them any accent color you wanted, or match to the paint. AFAIK there was not ever factory paint on these as they were sold as an aftersales item.

Agreed! I found it very hard to get them out intact. Back in the day after I bought my RS wing...BumperPlugs was offering the covers in their usual perfect finish OEM color. I got a set in Carrara White. No longer on the site but I would call them to see if it's something they can still offer.

FWIW...I have been back and forth between OEM and OEM RS wing. I'm now just running it with the OEM wing, just a classier look IMO. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:40 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Evolution
@ OP: your car is going to look fantastic. Hopefully you're in the PHL burbs like me...
Thanks! I'm in Fairmount but thankfully it's been pretty quiet by us!

Jim - I agree, the stock wing is subdued and classy. The nice part with the RS wing is that I can switch back and forth as needed. Appreciate the heads up on the replacement tabs. Hoping I can carefully coax them off without damage (wishful thinking ha)

Just waiting for the shipping confirmation from Suncoast. Apparently the wing is going from Germany to Suncoast to check for quality and then shipped to me.
The following users liked this post:
Evolution (06-04-2020)
Old 06-03-2020, 03:45 PM
rodneyr
Three Wheelin'

Received 160 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickshu
Its pretty tough to remove the plugs without breaking them. I managed to get one side off without breaking and the other side one of the tabs broke off but it still holds. I bought a pair of extra plugs, but they come primered and you'll have to paint them. Put layers of painters tape around the area when you are prying them out in case you slip.

The angle shims (same as stock spoiler) come in 2 different angles and are orange, I rattle canned mine satin black, but you could paint them any accent color you wanted, or match to the paint. AFAIK there was not ever factory paint on these as they were sold as an aftersales item.
I totally agree with this. One of the taps is 1/2 broken on one of the covers. My high tech solution to keep the cover on is a little duct tape. I also ordered replacements, but would have to paint them. You don't really see the covers so it does not bother me.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:57 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 689 Likes on 438 Posts

Looks awesome, and suits the car nicely! I would defiantly go for it.

Old 06-04-2020, 01:15 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 885 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by rodneyr
I totally agree with this. One of the taps is 1/2 broken on one of the covers. My high tech solution to keep the cover on is a little duct tape. I also ordered replacements, but would have to paint them. You don't really see the covers so it does not bother me.
Since I'm going to paint a new bumper cover, I ordered 2 caps from sunset to paint at the same time and use as replacements.

Also ordered a cruise control stalk cap written in German, just because.............
Not inexpensive for little bits.

ps.
if;
you read this post
have a SY car
and
ship me the spoiler caps prior to 25 June, I'll have my guy paint them when he does mine.

Last edited by cgfen; 06-04-2020 at 08:41 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 10:45 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Thanks for including the part numbers! Helpful if I unsuccessfully remove the spoiler caps

Received the shipping confirmation from Suncoast and the wing is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow! Can't wait! Will keep the group posted.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:05 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Wing was finally delivered after numerous UPS delays

Going to tackle the job tomorrow of replacing the stock spoiler. Does anyone know the correct bolt size for removing the stock wing? I read 14mm but that may have been a Turbo or GT2 wing?

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2020, 02:14 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmuldoon
Wing was finally delivered after numerous UPS delays

Going to tackle the job tomorrow of replacing the stock spoiler. Does anyone know the correct bolt size for removing the stock wing? I read 14mm but that may have been a Turbo or GT2 wing?

Thanks!
It's a Torx. Can't recall the size but larger like T45 or 50. Use a magnet on it as you back the bolt out...if you drop the washer into the rear decklid you will never see it again!
Old 06-16-2020, 11:34 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Confirmed! T40. Off to the hardware store ha.

For those interested, here's a nice little writeup of the process for wing removal and adjustment.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt2-and-...t3-and-rs.html

Old 06-16-2020, 12:58 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 885 Likes on 583 Posts

Step 1, cover deck lid air inlets with tape / rag / etc to prevent fasteners from rolling down inside.
Step X, use a magnet on the torx fastener when removing (as someone above said).

have fun

Craig
Old 06-21-2020, 07:03 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

That was a fun project!! Spoiler Caps did not want to come off easily but managed to pry them off with minimal damage. Just a little flex, no broken tabs thankfully.

Thanks to everyone for your input and help! Happy Father's Day!!!

The following 4 users liked this post by Bmuldoon:
4porsh (06-21-2020), brontosaurus (02-02-2022), Evolution (06-25-2020), hollmatt (06-21-2020)
Old 06-21-2020, 10:26 PM
CME
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 72 Posts

Happy Father's Day!!
chet

Old 06-21-2020, 10:41 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CME
Happy Father's Day!!
chet
That blue is beautiful and your wing is in attack mode.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:25 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

There you go! - good to know they are still available. It sure would be nice if there was a bolt-on piece available to get it up in the good air without getting a cup deck lid. Any 3D printers out there want to take up the challenge?

Muldoon, all said and done may I ask the final cost? Thanks . .

The following 2 users liked this post by Cemoto:
4porsh (06-22-2020), hollmatt (07-02-2020)
Old 06-22-2020, 09:26 AM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cemoto

Muldoon, all said and done may I ask the final cost? Thanks . .
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...RSSPOILER.html It's not a fun picture financially ha.

Yeah. I'm curious how much stock remains. The wing that arrived definitely had aged wrapping and was likely sitting in the warehouse in Germany for some time. Part of why I wanted to jump on one while they are still available.

Now of course the stock GT3 Porsche indoor cover is a very tight fight. Does anyone know if the "RS" cover shown on Suncoast is actually made for the GT3RS or if it's the same as the base GT3 cover?

https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...96RSCOVER.html

Quick Reply: Opinions Welcome: RS Wing