Jack, how much $$$?
Old 03-17-2004, 10:51 PM
Jack
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by brh986
Jack, how much $$$?
Can't tell you -- for retail pricing, I'd suggest you call Lucent Motors Corporation (310-231-3328) and ask for Ken or Arling.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:52 PM
Henry GT2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I`ve fitted the steel GT3 one piece rotors and Orange Pagid pads. Rear discs are still ceramic with Porsche/Pagid Green pads.
Here`s one of my ceramic rotors.......the brake wear warning sensors were burnt and had fallen apart.

The new discs and pads cost £814.00 or $1,493.00 and they work!!!

Henry.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Henry,

Can you feel any difference in braking performance with the steel front and ceramic rears? How does it compare to the full PCCB?

TIA
Old 03-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Hamann7
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the price of $4K for the set is more like it. Michael at By Design once told me that wholesale price on a new set of 4 PCCB rotors is about $5500.

I really have my doubts that a dealer really expects to fetch $8K per rotor, when you can buy a full retrofit kit for less than $10-11K.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:54 PM
Steve in FL
Burning Brakes

Someone should contact Sunset Porsche with the PCCB rotor parts numbers and find out exactly what dealer cost is. And check the retrofit kit rotor dimensions as I thought I'd read they were smaller than the GT2/GT3 sized rotors so they aren't a source for spare parts.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:36 AM
FixedWing
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Henry GT2
I`ve fitted the steel GT3 one piece rotors and Orange Pagid pads. Rear discs are still ceramic with Porsche/Pagid Green pads.

Here`s one of my ceramic rotors.......the brake wear warning sensors were burnt and had fallen apart.

The new discs and pads cost £814.00 or $1,493.00 and they work!!!
Henry,

The new rotors look nice!

The ceramics are well on their way to destruction I think. Not as bad as mine yet but it won’t be long. Clean them up and use them as a paperweight.

I think you are going to have problems with the metal/ceramic combination on the track. If you use them hard then they will heat up at different rates. I had this problem when changing front and rear ceramic pads at different times. It made a big difference. Anyway, try it and see.

Some of the early GT2’s were delivered with cast iron rotors because of a shortage of ceramics. Exactly what did Porsche deliver on the back then? Surely those parts are still available somewhere?

Are the orange Pagids ok for use on the street?

Personally, if I ever bought a GT2 I would immediately convert it to metal. It just isn’t worth all of the problems. For me, I had big hassles with the pads too. It wasn’t just about rotor wear.

My Turbo has now been converted back to its original metal system. I cannot wait to take it out to play!!!

Stephen
Old 03-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

The price for the rebuilt rotors has been confirmed at ~$4K each or ~$16K for a complete set (4) of rebuilt PCCB rotors.
Old 03-19-2004, 10:52 AM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the total price for a GT2 conversion to the best steel set up? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Henry GT2
Intermediate

Originally posted by Sloth
Henry,

Can you feel any difference in braking performance with the steel front and ceramic rears? How does it compare to the full PCCB?

TIA
Hi,
The new front brakes work perfectly now and I have carried out several 100mph to zero stops and all is well. My ceramic rears run Porsche Green Pagid pads, which are a Race pad, and I believe this combination of Orange front which is slightly softer and Green rears will complement each other. I`m off to the Nurburgring next weekend for 2 whole days of fun and I`ll let you guys know I get on.

My front ceramics have never worked well since I got the car due probablly to two factors;
Firstly, the car had been fitted with new Porsche Green pads which don`t work until there has been a bit of heat generated.
Secondly, the front rotors had wear already on them from the previous owner. God is the only other person that knows how hard my car had been driven before.

When a 350mm x 28mm rotor shows up I will convert the rear brakes.
As I said before "Ceramics suck".

Henry.

Special thanks to Parr Motorsport UK for all there help and selling the parts to me for a good price.
Old 03-19-2004, 11:31 AM
macfly
Three Wheelin'

Default Henry, take loads of pix......

it is much easier to post them here than on the s'9s site.

I thought I'd read in these posts that the green pads lead to faster disc wear on the PCCB's, so keep a close eye on your rears.

Enjoy the 'Ring, I hope the weather is good for you!
Old 03-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Henry GT2
Intermediate

Originally posted by FixedWing
Henry,

The new rotors look nice!

The ceramics are well on their way to destruction I think. Not as bad as mine yet but it won’t be long. Clean them up and use them as a paperweight.

I think you are going to have problems with the metal/ceramic combination on the track. If you use them hard then they will heat up at different rates. I had this problem when changing front and rear ceramic pads at different times. It made a big difference. Anyway, try it and see.

Some of the early GT2’s were delivered with cast iron rotors because of a shortage of ceramics. Exactly what did Porsche deliver on the back then? Surely those parts are still available somewhere?

Are the orange Pagids ok for use on the street?

Personally, if I ever bought a GT2 I would immediately convert it to metal. It just isn’t worth all of the problems. For me, I had big hassles with the pads too. It wasn’t just about rotor wear.

My Turbo has now been converted back to its original metal system. I cannot wait to take it out to play!!!

Stephen
Hi

Porsche fitted the 996 Turbo brakes to a handful of UK GT2`s and converted these cars to PCCB`s when they became available. However, there were a few owners who never allowed Porsche to change their GT2`s to PCCB. Sensible chaps.

The Orange Pagids squeal a little bit when coming to a halt and scare a few old ladies on the crossings They do work well from cold.

The only problem I now have is brake dust! I have to wash the front wheels more often now.......damn

Henry.
Old 03-19-2004, 06:51 PM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I read a u.k. mag, 911 porsche or something like it, they had a tech section were there is a guy/company who is working and should have a gt3 package to change out the steel rotors and i assume the pccb rotors with a high quality two peace rotor for track use, the size for 18" wheels were 378 mm. for the front rotor and not sure what size for the rear, he also has a package for the GT3 using 17" wheels.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:54 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

CodeRed - The cost for the conversion kit (PCCB -> GT3 cast iron) is about $4,500 at the dealer. Note this includes a discount on parts so you may do better or not at your local outlet. Price includes 4 rotors new rear calipers and a full set of Porsche Sport (Yellow) pads.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Mark GT2
Advanced

Default Rebuilt PCCB Rotors

For what it's worth - when I heard that you could get a full set of PCCB rotors for $4K from Michael Schatz at Schatz Motorsport I contacted him. He quoted me a price of $4,184.99 each and that would include me sending him my damaged rotors.

I knew it was too good to be true. I just wanted to have a fully functional set in the event I ever need to put them back on to sell the car.

Quick Reply: PCCB For Track -Update