Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996.2 GT3 twitchy on the highway, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 03:07 AM
black04
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default LSD Ramp thickness affects breakaway torque

Johannvb, I think you are wise to not use the LSD in this condition. I think the advice to drive the car to wear in the plates is ill-advised.

According to Matt of Guards, the thickness of the stock ramps vary:
"We see them anywhere from a low of around 70.5mm to a high of just shy of 73mm.”

Because of the ramp thickness variation, Matt states:
"...we demand that if you are not replacing your ramps that your LSD be apart and measured before we pick exactly what thickness and spec parts we're going to send you. This is also why you get hit with 20 questions about application and driving style and primary track beforehand. We're looking to hit a particular gap and behavior of your LSD that suits you specifically."

It seems that a) this policy was not adhered to and b) the replacement belleville washers are at least a millimeter thicker than stock. Clearly the 1.75mm original vs 5mm new clearance and 100Nm breakaway torque indicate the new washers are way too thick. I would get the measurements to Sharkwerks and let them communicate with Guards.

You could probably use one or both of the stock washers and re-measure the torque. Of course that would defeat the purpose of Matt's "...looking to hit a particular gap and behavior of your LSD that suits you specifically..". Lacking Matt's specification, it seems that these clutch kits should include various washers, so one can at least adjust the torque to Porsche specification, and prevent this problem in the first place.

(ref: Posted in This forum, Oct 2011)

Last edited by black04; 05-28-2020 at 02:47 AM. Reason: spelling and more detail
Old 05-28-2020, 06:05 AM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for you input Joel. Alex from Sharkwerks has responded to me and my technician and he basically said to button it up and drive it. He did to talk about spacers, or different widths and he confirned that he discussed this with Matt. Unfortunately Matt has not yet responded to me PM, but I I know of his personal situation so I will take the advice of Alex and just get the guys to bolt everything up and drive it.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:10 PM
black04
Racer

Originally Posted by Johannvb
Thanks for you input Joel. Alex from Sharkwerks has responded to me and my technician and he basically said to button it up and drive it. He did to talk about spacers, or different widths and he confirned that he discussed this with Matt. Unfortunately Matt has not yet responded to me PM, but I I know of his personal situation so I will take the advice of Alex and just get the guys to bolt everything up and drive it.
I recommend that you at least measure the ramp thickness before you button it up.
That way, you could get different belleville washers before you take the LSD apart again.

Hopefully you can drive "5 heat cycles", measure the breakaway torque and get back to us.

Last edited by black04; 05-28-2020 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:54 AM
Johannvb
Instructor

Talking

I got my car back on Thursday morning after being at the dealer for what felt like forever.

First of all; Thank you for all the help and advice I received from all of you, this has been crucial in me finding and solving the issues with my car. I can happily report back that my car has been transformed I have NEVER driven my GT3 so often as I have in the past few days.

So here is what I had done:
  • Öhlins Road & Track fitted. I ordered POS MI10
  • New top mounts - Original Porsche
  • New drop links - Original Porsche
  • Replaced the clutch pack in my LSD with plates from GT Gears.
  • Had the car aligned to factory specs
    • Front axle:
      Camber: -1º00'
      Max camber difference, left/right: 2'
      Toe total: +8' (left and right equal at 0°4')
      Caster: 7°50' (left) 7°47' (right)
      Max caster difference, left/right: 3'
      Front height: 118mm
      Swaybar – 1 from hard

Rear axle:
      Toe total: 23’ (left 0°11' and right 0°12')
      Max toe difference, left/right: 1'
      Camber: -1°50'
      Max camber difference, left/right: 4'
      Rear height: 132mm
      Swaybar – 1 from hard
I realise that this alignment will introduce a certain amount of understeer, but for now I wanted to go back to the basics before I start playing with settings again.

I was out for a long drive yesterday with speeds up to 260 Kilometres per hour and here is what I noticed:
  • My front tyres no longer rub my wheel liners at full lock
  • There are no noises coming from the suspension when going through a hairpin
  • When I put down the power coming out of a corner the back steps out ever so lightly and I can manage this with the throttle
  • When I lift the throttle in a long sweeping corner the car stays true with no upset in the handling
  • When I slam the brakes there is no fish tailing
  • When I am changing gears under full acceleration there is no more twichiness in the rear as I reengage the clutch
  • The car is no longer tram lining
If all I have to do is cope with a little understeer under hard cornering I think I might just stick with this alignment spec.

I also want to give a special mention to Alex Ross from Sharkwerks who provided excellent service and advice and showed immense patience while coaching my technician through the rebuild. As an OPC they were very nervous about putting in non Porsche equipment but it all worked out well and I think they will be doing the GT gears rebuild more often in the future.

Last edited by Johannvb; 06-29-2020 at 09:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Johannvb:
black04 (07-01-2020), thesven (10-19-2021)
Old 06-29-2020, 07:26 AM
tom03
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Johann, if you're happy with the setup you have reached your target. Enjoy your GT3.
The following users liked this post:
Johannvb (06-30-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 01:35 PM
black04
Racer

Great to hear. It is so gratifying to get the car back to normal (i.e. GREAT) handling.

Please share the LSD breakaway torque issue resolution. Last we heard you had measured an unusually high 100Nm
Old 07-01-2020, 03:30 PM
Johannvb
Instructor

We did what Sharkwerks and GT Gears advised; Stopped fussing, bolted it up and went for a drive

I have given it 5 heat cycles, but to be honest I did not experience much if any change from the first run to the last run.
The following users liked this post:
black04 (07-03-2020)

Quick Reply: 996.2 GT3 twitchy on the highway, please help.