Notices
996 GT2/GT3 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

996.2 GT3 twitchy on the highway, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 10:49 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,106 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by rbahr
Pretty sure that LSD degradation will be felt when you are breaking. Easy enough to check do a search

Ray
When you are using the engine as a brake, yes, but how often do you use a $25K transaxle as a brake on public roads?

Still need clarification on what is happening when the car gets squirrelly. Is it during hard acceleration at high speed? Is it hard braking at high speed? Straight or turning? Is it simply cruising at 180 kph that the car feels unsettled?
Old 03-17-2020, 04:37 AM
black04
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
When you are using the engine as a brake, yes, but how often do you use a $25K transaxle as a brake on public roads?

Still need clarification on what is happening when the car gets squirrelly. Is it during hard acceleration at high speed? Is it hard braking at high speed? Straight or turning? Is it simply cruising at 180 kph that the car feels unsettled?
When one brakes in a turn, a bad LSD can cause instability.
Furthermore, the clunk I was referring to was the OP's, not yours

Oh and a broken spider gear will cause the rear end to jump sideways, similar to what the OP stated.
Old 03-17-2020, 11:05 AM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

Also the LSD can affect braking in a straight line. That said, Johan any new news? My suggestion at this point:
  • Check the front shocks - remove them, pull the springs, look for leaks, see how they compress.
  • Check tie rods, steering rack, and ball joints.
  • Make sure your tires are good
  • Do a nut & bolt in the front
  • Check the rear LSD: Jack the rear, car in neutral, have someone prevent one side from turning, Get a torque wrench on the other side, and see where that side breaks away - more details somewhere
Ray
Old 03-18-2020, 05:18 AM
tom03
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also the LSD can affect braking in a straight line. That said, Johan any new news? My suggestion at this point:
  • Check the front shocks - remove them, pull the springs, look for leaks, see how they compress.
  • Check the rear LSD: Jack the rear, car in neutral, have someone prevent one side from turning, Get a torque wrench on the other side, and see where that side breaks away - more details somewhere
Ray
in addition
You could also check the shocks in the car (ADAC in Germany is able test this)
The rear tires must be the "same". If they are different (age) the car is not driving straight beyond 120 km/h. I had this with some Pirelli tires

@Ray: Any more details on the LSD check method ?

Thomas
Old 03-18-2020, 11:12 AM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 666 Posts

Many of the original GT3 coilovers I have seen are leaking. Especially the rears. They are all old now.
Old 03-18-2020, 04:10 PM
Johannvb
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for all the advice guys. I am currently under lock down in my home. As soon as we are allowed to go out again I will take the GT3 to my technician for some diagnostics. At least I now have a list of possible causes to investigate.

- toe links rear
- all bushings
- shocks
- sway bar (pre tension)
- LSD ; I will flush the gearboxoil to be safe
Old 03-18-2020, 04:38 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am locked down in Honduras...

Anyway: I would also suggest:
Ray
Old 03-18-2020, 06:46 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Hope everyone stays safe. Good luck!
Old 03-18-2020, 07:14 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2020, 07:09 PM
black04
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Static LSD test may be bogus

Ray
. I wish it was that easy to test an LSD. Worn plates can temporarily INCREASE torque
. Some posters have stated a worn LSD's symptoms are twitchy handling braking or accelerating in a turn. Those were my symptoms. The worn LSD would have to slip-lock-slip-lock in a fraction of a second to degrading handling in that manner.
i.e. a worn or damaged LSD doesn't necessarily become the same as an open differential and have no effect on handling, the bad LSD could actually degrade handling

Further evidence of unusual or unexpected bad LSD symptoms...one poster here states that his LSD is long worn out and does not affect handling...Maybe his is worn such that it does act as an open diff

Last edited by black04; 03-19-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:14 PM
saxen
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

Can anyone give any input on when the shocks typically fail or need to be replaced?
IE do most fail around 25K miles or 16 years
or 50K miles or 16 years
75K miles?

thanks

Old 03-19-2020, 07:24 PM
rbahr
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

This is not to be a thorough test of the assembly, but rather will provide some small amount of information. I am aware that to properly evaluate the LSD, it would be removed.

Originally Posted by black04
It occurs to me that a static LSD test might be meaningless in general.
As far as this car's specific LSD, there could be damage or damage and wear causing the LSD to lock-slip-lock-slip in less than a second, causing straight-line twitchiness.
i.e. a worn or damaged LSD doesn't necessarily become the same as an open differential and have no effect on handling. The damaged LSD could hurt handling in a turn or straight-line
Furthermore, regarding the poster that states that his LSD is long worn out...Maybe his is worn such that it does act as an open diff...whereas mine and other's worn LSD degraded handling with the slip-lock-slip syndrome
Old 03-19-2020, 07:46 PM
Xiaoming hoho
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DUDE...I literarally did the same thing as you did.
Just got my 997 4S yesterday and spinned out today on highway, hitting a puddle in heavy rain.
Luckily I didn't hit anything other than scuffing my right front wheel. Hopefully the car is fine.

I ordered the Ohlins R/T coilovers for my car since the rear right absorber has gone bad. (car is 2008, 104k miles) I heard that OEM Bilstein absorbers tend to leak at around this mileage/age.
I wonder if something is losened in the steering system of your car?
Old 03-19-2020, 08:28 PM
JJT
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
. There are third-party washers you can buy that sit at the end of the springs to stop that noise.

Can you put more information?

Thanks
Old 03-19-2020, 08:45 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJT
Can you put more information?

Thanks
Elephant Racing makes a set of thrust bearings: https://www.elephantracing.com/911/c...t-bearing-kit/

However, the open roller bearing can't last long once dirt gets in there.

This link is not the one I remember, but looks similar. Instead of a roller bearing it uses what looks like Delrin (a slippery version of nylon) sandwiched between stainless steel washers. Dirt is less likely to degrade these, in my opinion.

https://www.splparts.com/products/sw...t-washers.html
The following users liked this post:
JJT (03-20-2020)

Quick Reply: 996.2 GT3 twitchy on the highway, please help.